Cat Coloring Books Provide Relaxation and Fun

cat-coloring-books

This post contains affiliate links*

A couple of weeks ago, I shared some of the proven benefits of coloring for adults. Studies show that the structured, rhythmic motion of coloring eases you into a meditative state, which allows you to push negative thoughts and worries out of your mind, and which induces a profound sense of relaxation. Coloring is also a great way to explore your creativity. It’s no surprise that coloring books are topping bestseller lists around the world – and what’s even better is that there are a lot of cat coloring books available!

color-cats

I previously introduced you to Color Cats, which is the book I’ve been using. I started out with gel pens, and really loved working with them. However, I quickly realized that you can’t do shading very well with gel pens, and you really need to be able to do that to color torties, so I ordered a set of color pencils. You can see the initial result below.

cat-coloring-books

My torties still need a lot of practice, but I had so much fun trying!

creative-cats-coloring-book

I just started working with Creative Cats. As you can see from the cover, the designs are very intricate, and after my first attempt, I can assure you that this is not a coloring book for beginners! Creative Cats is the bestselling cat coloring book on Amazon right now.

Stress-relieving-cats-colorin

I also added Stress Relieving Cats to my list. These designs look more like the mandalas featured in the original adult coloring books.

cat-lovers-coloring-book

The Cat Lover’s Coloring Book also looks wonderful, with a slightly different style than the others, and is on my list to try next.

If the coloring craze has gotten hold of you, these books should give you some beautiful choices to pursue this wonderful past time. If you haven’t started coloring yet, give it a try. I bet you’ll be surprised at just how relaxing it is.

FTC Disclosure: This post contains Amazon Associate links. This means that if you decide to purchase through any of our links, we get a small commission. We only spread the word about products and services we’ve either used or would use ourselves.

books banner for posts

12 Comments on Cat Coloring Books Provide Relaxation and Fun

1. vina anderson
    January 17, 2016 at 3:12 pm (2 years ago)

The book s are amazing. I gave my cat loving neice one for Christmas and she loves it. Really I wanted it but seeing how much joy it gave her was more than worth it.

2. Deb Barnes - Zee and Zoey
    January 16, 2016 at 7:11 pm (2 years ago)

Oh my gosh!! I so want to do this! I LOVE to color but I’m afraid if I start I won’t get a single other thing done!

January 17, 2016 at 5:49 am (2 years ago)

It is addictive, Deb!

• Ramona Zachary
        January 19, 2016 at 9:11 am (2 years ago)

The library in my small town is gearing up for adult coloring through these cold winter days. What great books for us. I’m forwarding this to the director. Another lady working there started coloring a few months ago and loves the calmness she gets from this activity.

3. Maureen
    January 15, 2016 at 5:57 pm (2 years ago)

I have all three of those coloring books. They are fabulous and so relaxing. Make sure you get good pencils. I am looking for some fine point gel markers to use as well.

4. Lauren
    January 15, 2016 at 3:33 pm (2 years ago)

I never thought I would enjoying coloring as a “grown-up”, but I was inspired by your blog post a couple weeks ago, Ingrid, and bought a book with various animal pictures, including several featuring cats. It really is relaxing! The only one who does not approve is my cat, Dexter, who likes to sit on the page I am trying to color and knock my colored pencils off the table one by one.

January 15, 2016 at 5:52 pm (2 years ago)

I’m so glad you gave coloring a try, Lauren! Ruby and Allegra are very helpful when I color. They knock the pens and pencils off the table, so I can get some exercise retrieving them when I need them. Very thoughtful of them, right? 😉

5. Monica Ackerman
    January 15, 2016 at 2:19 pm (2 years ago)

People! I have never heard of coloring books for adults but I can tell you that coloring princess books with my 3-year old grand daughter are total fun. Maybe the relaxing part is missing because she is very demanding in which colors to use and which spots I missed. This had proven to be a great bonding time for us and I highly recommend coloring with your favorite child. Now I am inspired to get one of those cat coloring book maybe to do with my 12 years old grand daughter. She is very artistic and I have given her that art set with 100 colored pencils. Thanks, Ingrid. That child needs an exercise in relaxing.

6. Kim
    January 15, 2016 at 8:52 am (2 years ago)

I also have the Creative Cats coloring book! I color every Friday and is a good start to unwind for the weekend

7. Janine
    January 15, 2016 at 8:03 am (2 years ago)

I have the Creative Cats book. My coloring isn’t the best, but it really does help me clear my mind when I have so much going on in my life and stress easily.

8. Diane Ricciardi Stewart
    January 15, 2016 at 4:03 am (2 years ago)

I believe I have all of these on my Amazon wish list !! I love to color using colored pencils as well. I was very fortunate to purchase an awesome art set quality box of 100 colored pencils from an art store that went out of business (this was at least 10 years ago).

9. Margarite
    January 15, 2016 at 2:09 am (2 years ago)

Hi Ingrid. Enjoy your site and kitties! I am one of those people who LOVE coloring and coloring books (among love of crafting). I happen to have the coloring book, “Creative Cats,” and I love it! I have over 100 good quality colored pencils. The better quality pencils make a differance and are much easier to work with AND sharpen I recommend this book and have fun! I have since purchased a few more cat books and I have been working on those as well. Thanks for sharing! Keep up the great work