Allegra, Ruby and the Dental Treat

cat-dental-treat

Dental health is vitally important to cats. Brushing is the most effective way to prevent dental disease – and before you say you couldn’t possibly brush your cat’s teeth, let me tell you that I never thought I’d be able to get Allegra and Ruby used to having their teeth brushed, but with patience and persistence, it has become part of our nightly routine to the point where the girls will actually “remind” me on the occasional night when I get sidetracked (they start pacing in the kitchen in front of the counter where I keep their brushes and toothpaste.)

After their nightly brushing, the girls each get a C.E.T. Dental Chew Treat. The C.E.T. Enzymatic Oral Hygiene Chews are the only dental treats I recommend.

There are a lot of dental treats and so-called “dental diets” on the market. Almost all of them are dry foods or treats. And I don’t believe that they work. Most cats don’t chew dry food or dry treats long enough for any of the scraping action that is the theory of how these diets and treats supposedly work to kick in. What little they do chew shatters into small pieces. Some pet food manufacturers offer a “dental diet” that is made up of larger than normal sized kibble to encourage chewing, but in my years at veterinary practices, I’ve seen many cats swallow even those larger size pieces whole. Additionally, dry food leaves a carbohydrate residue in the cat’s mouth that actually encourages growth of tartar and plaque.

The girls love their nightly treat. But why don’t you see for yourself?

New Dr. Goodpet banner

13 Comments on Allegra, Ruby and the Dental Treat

1. Melissa
    May 7, 2015 at 4:24 pm (2 years ago)

Perfect timing, I’m gonna have to try these. Just took one of my cats to the vet this morning for a teeth cleaning. Now that her teeth are shiny white again, my vet did recommend that I try to find some kind of dental chews/diet that she will actually chew. Some of the dental treats I’ve used in the past are just too small and she just inhales them. Thanks.

• Debbie
      May 8, 2015 at 9:38 pm (2 years ago)

Love your story about teeth cleaning. I have one that luvs the toothpaste n the boy not so much. She-Vera doesn’t mind the kitty toothbrush with Kitty toothpaste. My cat also loves those chews. I just got a chuckle when u mention both cats r n the kitchen by their toothbrush. cool

2. Anne
    May 7, 2015 at 2:01 pm (2 years ago)

Virbac has always made good products, well worth the money. Unfortunately Virbac’s manufacturing plant has been shut down by the FDA while they are being reinspected after make label changes (nothing harmful was found wrong with the products). This has made back orders and shortages of their products.

3. DebiOco
    May 6, 2015 at 10:58 pm (2 years ago)

Cute and funny video! Zoe had to have 5 teeth removed at the young age of 4 years old. I tried to get her used to brushing her teeth many times, but she just could not tolerate it. She is now 16 with no dental problems! Guess we got lucky, but if I had another kitten, I would try it again. Seems like the right thing to do.

4. Heather
    May 6, 2015 at 4:26 pm (2 years ago)

I can hear Ruby saying, “It’s a treat and a toy!!!!! Whee!!!!!!”.

May 6, 2015 at 4:28 pm (2 years ago)

You’ve got her pegged, Heather!

5. A Attura
    May 6, 2015 at 10:49 am (2 years ago)

Cee Cee Tortie is aghast (but amewsed) at the way Miss Ruby plays with her treat!!!

6. Melissa & Truffles
    May 6, 2015 at 10:03 am (2 years ago)

They are both so precious! I’ve actually never even heard of those treats.

7. Janine
    May 6, 2015 at 7:50 am (2 years ago)

I’ve tried brushing my cats teeth. Mine were just too stubborn so I didn’t even keep it up.

8. Steven Hicks
    May 6, 2015 at 3:38 am (2 years ago)

We have two cats both on exactly the same diet as each other. One has just about perfect teeth the other has had to have a couple of dentals.
    We tried using the extra large dental food but she swallows them whole.

May 6, 2015 at 6:30 am (2 years ago)

That was precisely my point about the dental diets not working, Steven. As with humans, it appears that genetics also play a role in dental health, which would explain why two cats on the same diet have such different needs.

9. Summer
    May 6, 2015 at 1:28 am (2 years ago)

My human’s boyfriend used to bring them home back from the clinic when he worked there regularly, but even with his employee discount they are pretty expensive!

May 6, 2015 at 6:16 am (2 years ago)

They’re well worth the expense, considering that they actually work, which is not the case with so many other treats marketed for dental health.