“Tortitude” – The Unique Personality of Tortoiseshell Cats: Fact or Fiction?

tortoiseshell cats

Five years ago, I wrote a post titled Tortitude: The Unique Personality of Tortoiseshell Cats. The post describes some of the unique traits that many of these beautifully colored cats seem to share: they tend to be strong-willed, a bit hot-tempered, and they can be very possessive of their human. Other words used to describe torties are fiercely independent, feisty and unpredictable. They’re usually very talkative and make their presence and needs known with anything from a hiss to a meow to a strong purr.

The post gets 200-300 views every single day, and has generated close to 14,000 comments to date. It’s become a place for people to share stories about the torties in their lives.

As someone who has been owned by four torties at this point, not counting my first office cat at the animal hospital I managed, who was also a tortie, I feel that I’m somewhat of an expert on these special cats. And while Virginia, Amber, Buckley, Allegra and Ruby all had or have some degree of tortitude, their personalities were and are also  very different. This appears to be true for the torties whose guardians have commented on the post as well.

torties

What is a tortoiseshell cat?

Contrary to what some people think, tortoiseshell cats are not a breed. They are named for their distinctive coloring – a combination of patches of black, brown, amber, red, cinnamon and chocolate. The size of the patches can range from a speckled pattern to large splotches of color. Tortoiseshell cats have have very few or no white markings, as opposed to calicos, who are tri-colored cats with larger areas of white fur. Sometimes, the colors are more muted. These torties are known as dilute torties. Very dark torties with a lot of black in their fur are often affectionately called “chocolate torties.” Occasionally, the typical tortoiseshell colors are also seen in a tabby (striped) pattern; these cats are referred to as “torbies.” Tortoiseshell markings appear in many different breeds.

The unique genetics of tortoiseshell cats

In addition to their unique personalities, torties also have unique genetics. The vast majority of tortoiseshell cats are female, because two X chromosomes are required to produce black, gold and orange coloring. Male cats only have one X and one Y chromosome, so technically it’s genetically almost impossible for a male to inherit the tortoiseshell coloring. A male tortoiseshell has an extra X chromosome, making it an XXY. According to a study by the College of Veterinary Medicine at the University of Missouri, only 1 in 3000 tortoiseshell cats is male.

tortitude

Are tortoiseshell cats really different from other cats?

Speaking from personal experience, it appears that no two tortoiseshell cats display the exact same amount of tortitude. Virginia had definitely read the book on tortitude. The first time I met her, during my interview for the hospital manager position, she greeted me by walking over to me, looking up at me, and then digging her claws into my legs to use them as a scratching post.  Amber was the “anti-tortie” – she was a gentle, calm, almost shy cat, but she was a bit headstrong. Buckley’s tortitude manifested in her exuberance. She loved everything and everybody. Allegra is highly sensitive to the world around her, and often quick to react to something that she perceives as a threat. Ruby is the most high-spirited cat I’ve ever had. Of all my cats, she is the one with the highest dose of tortitude.

tortoiseshell cat

The experts weigh in on tortitude

I decided to check with some other experts to get their thoughts on tortitude. “I often tell clients that torties are the redheads of the cat world,” says feline veterinarian Dr. Fern Crist, who practices at Just Cats Clinic in Reston, VA. “They are beautiful, but short-tempered and quick to wrath. Of course they are not all like that, any more than every redhead is – but I always approach a tortie with a tad more circumspection than any other coat color.” While Crist takes a cautious approach to her tortie patients, she adds “I’ve always thought that the price you pay in tortitude, you get back tenfold in love.”

“There is no evidence that there is a link between color gene and personality,” says Dr. Elizabeth Colleran, a former president of the American Association of Feline Practitioners and owner of two cat hospitals, Chico Hospital for Cats in Chico, CA and the Cat Hospital of Portland in Portland, OR. “It is true though, that almost all tortoiseshell cats are females, and some people perceive females as being more headstrong than male cats. However, the real determination of personality is naturally a combination of genetics and environment.”

Jackson Galaxy has worked with his share of tortoiseshell cats in his decades of helping cats with behavioral challenges. “In my experience, tortitude is a very real thing,” says Jackson. “And now that there is a a study correlating coat pattern with behavior, our characterizations have been validated. Of course, anyone who knows me, knows I try not to talk about cats in generalities.” Jackson feels that torties and calicos are more energetically sensitive. “I think that’s part of the reason why their personalities are always on full display,” he says. “I’ve always said that cats are energetic sponges. Torties, however, just seem to soak up more, which is why they’ve got so much to say.”

tortitude

Tortoiseshell cats are special

Those of us who love torties embrace their unique personalities. It is important to remember that every cat, regardless of coat color, is an individual. Not every tortie will exhibit the traits attributed to these beautifully colored cats, but the majority seem to live up to their reputation. As far as I’m concerned, tortitude is real. And while torties may, at times, seem like they have split personalities, going from purring away in your lap to suddenly racing around the house like a crazy kitten, those of us who love them wouldn’t want them any other way.

Tortitude banner for posts with border

973 Comments on “Tortitude” – The Unique Personality of Tortoiseshell Cats: Fact or Fiction?

1. Jane
    July 16, 2016 at 10:25 pm (11 months ago)

I just adopted a one year old Siamese mix named Suri who happens to be a tortie point – best of both worlds! I love this article because it really puts a name to her demeanor – tortitude! Suri can go for hours playing, opening all the drawers and cabinets, and yowling at me to do her bidding. Got to love my girl though because she’s equally adept at socializing and cuddling. Sweet girl!

July 17, 2016 at 5:49 am (11 months ago)

What a wonderful combination, Jane – she must be beautiful.

• mary coyen
      July 20, 2016 at 11:58 am (11 months ago)

My sortie, Fern, has become extremely frantic as she has aged. She lives with 2 other kitties, who are friendly and older so mellow. Fern hides all day, won’t let anyone near her but me, and I use to be able to hold her to trim her nails, now she gets so anxious and bites/scratches me. I thought she was sick but full exam shows nothing. She appears to hate the other cats and hisses at them daily. I’m hoping to rehome her to a zero cat home. I’ve had her since she was 8 weeks old and she is 7 now, I’ve had my other two as long also. I am also unable to give her medicine for the anxiety, she will attempt to bite/scratch me. I’m feeling very sad for her and overwhelmed by the situation. Anyone out there ever have a tortie problem like this?

July 20, 2016 at 4:18 pm (11 months ago)

This is not a tortie problem, but it can be an “older kitty” problem. Just like older humans, some cats become less tolerant as they get older. You may want to consider working with a behaviorist before thinking about rehoming her – there might be something going on that can be remedied. If you can’t find anyone local to you, I can recommend Daniel Quagliozzi https://gocatgosf.com/, Marilyn Krieger http://thecatcoach.com/ and Pam Johnson-Bennett http://www.catbehaviorassociates.com/ All three offer remote consultations.

2. Liz
    July 16, 2016 at 6:43 pm (11 months ago)

I had a Russian Blue Grey Tortie mix named Ruby. She had tortitude like no other. Very territorial of me and mood swings like a teenage girl. She was the love of my life and I lost her (to kidney failure) in April this year.
    I searched shelters and found first a classic tortie of 6 months named Ella and adopted her immediately, the same foster mom emailed me she had a new litter of kittens and about a month later I got an 8 week old kitten, Manka.
    These two girls are so full of spunk. Ella is more stoic and subtle in her mischief. Manka has LOTS to say! She even speaks in her sleep. They are both sweet girls and tolerate my constant cuddles and kisses. They entertain me for hours on end.
    I will always have a tortie in my life. They are remarkably special.

July 17, 2016 at 5:46 am (11 months ago)

“Mood swings like a teenage girl” – that’s a great way to describe tortitude, Liz!

3. Lauren
    July 16, 2016 at 6:26 pm (11 months ago)

My tortie is three months old and even though I have had her for three weeks, so has owned me for so much longer than that. My mom’s cat had kittens and I got the first pick of the litter. I watched them start to grow and Remy Louise stole my heart when she was about four weeks old. I was sitting on the floor when a little black and orange ball of fluff wobbled over to me, licked my arm for a little while, then climbed up on my lap and went to sleep.

Since the night I brought her home with me, she has slept on my bed every night, followed me around like a puppy dog and been very clingy. She tries constantly to get into my food, eat my plants, and chatters to me a lot. She lets me know if she doesn’t like the food I’ve put down for her, stares at me while knocking over the container of her toys that I just picked up, plop down on my laptop or iPad if I’m not paying attention to her, and will let me know she’s ready for bed by running around like a mad man. If my alarm goes off and I don’t get up, she will be in my face purring and meowing. If that doesn’t work, then she starts licking my fingers.

Remy definitely has tortitude, but that makes me love her more.

July 17, 2016 at 5:46 am (11 months ago)

Remy sounds like a wonderful girl, Lauren!

4. Brad S
    July 4, 2016 at 5:00 pm (12 months ago)

We have a tortie cat named Spooky Lulu, Spooks for short. She showed up in October last year. Was living under the car for a few days and would not leave for anything, so took out an old litter pan. She ran right out and climbed in, so I knew someone had dropped her off. Vet said she was about four months old. So now she is in the house with four other cats and she blended right in. I call her a little hellion sometimes because she is fast and gets into everything. For some reason she likes to go in the bedroom at night and close the door. I mean literally close the door until it latches. She will get behind the door raise up on her back legs and push the door closed. I guess she is saying its bed time.

July 5, 2016 at 5:39 am (12 months ago)

“Hellion” is a good word to describe a tortie, Brad. 🙂

• brad s
        July 6, 2016 at 9:32 am (12 months ago)

YES she is a little hellion sometimes, buts she is a little love bug ther rest of the time

5. Jessica
    July 4, 2016 at 1:32 pm (12 months ago)

My kitty Molly lived to be 26 years old I got her in second grade and she died this year.
    She was one of the friendliest most out going cats ever. She loved strangers and would always pick the “comfiest ” person in the room to kneed there stomach. She was playful all the way till about 24 and after that retired to her fluffy couch and favorite blanket in the sun. I can’t tell you how hard I cried when I got the news she died. These cats are memorable and family members.

• Name*
      July 4, 2016 at 5:00 pm (12 months ago)

Oh Jessica so sorry to read of your terrible loss.

• Dano
      July 4, 2016 at 6:00 pm (12 months ago)

You havd a blessing in her 26 years. Our Biggles got to be 21. I still shed a tear thinking about him. Your Molly sounded like the princess who gave to her servants. I’d like to have them both go on bringing the gift of joy to us , as long as our own days are. So sorry for your baby passing on. In a way, I understand how you feel. We affectionately called Biggles Captain. He let us know when he had enough. and twice rebounded from near death to give us more time. Still hurts.

July 5, 2016 at 5:38 am (12 months ago)

26 years! Wow, that’s amazing, Jessica. And yet, it’s never long enough. My heart goes out to you.

6. Wendy
    July 4, 2016 at 7:58 am (12 months ago)

My Tortie, Molly, came to me by way of adoption. It took a year or her to be adopted, as she is very shy to outsiders. No one wanted a pet they couldn’t snuggle with, I suppose, but boy, were they wrong! I saw her online and fell in love! I didn’t care if she was shy; she needed a home, was beautiful, and in her eyes I saw her potential! I brought her home, and put the box in her “safe place” which is my bedroom. She bolted under the bed, at which point, I thought I’d never see her again. Not so — 12 hours later I felt her soft fur rubbing on my legs! She is so very talkative! She was meowing and offering me her belly.
    She has an interesting tale to tell, first off. She was found by the rescue league living with a family of skunks! She was pregnant, so they took her in. She had four or five kittens, they were given away and off she went to the shelter. She was afraid of other cats, so they sent her to a foster home, where she was living for a year.
    By the way she behaves, I don’t think she was abused per se, but lived with children (she loathes children) and she either ran away or was abandoned. She is afraid of walking legs and therefore, I believe it was from fast moving kid’s feet that she got this fear.
    Anyway, within the first few months, Molly was very clingy and skittish. Then she became more of a “chest cat,” not so much a lap cat… letting me hold her like a baby.
    Further on, she became less clingy, but more loving and trusting. You would not believe the transformation from the day I got her until now, three years later. She loves both my husband and I, and is extremely vocal and sweet. Boy did those judgmental people miss out on a wonderful cat! I am so lucky to have gotten her! She sleeps near my head at night, talks almost non-stop, is very forgiving of the occasional step on the paw, but still hides with strangers. She is about the best kitty I have ever had!
    I LOVE MY MOLLY!
    Wendy

• Amy
      July 7, 2016 at 11:23 pm (12 months ago)

Yes the answers I’ve been searching for.

I met Puka, her sister and 4 kitten during my first rescue/foster. I went into a house to pull her. It was a poor older woman with dementia with a hoarding problem. I walked in and
      was quickly overcome with the smell of stale cigs lingering in the air for probably 30 years. I had to get these cats fast and I only had one chance to do it.

I went for the mother and kittens first, but I was quickly confronted by Puka who saw me as a threat to her, her sister and litter. I reached down the grab her and she swiped me like no other cat had ever done before. She popped a vein. Bleeding all over her I grabbed her first and was able to get them all in 2 carriers. Her sister and kittens,all white, were now streaked with stains of my own blood. Imagine me explaining this an hour later at their vet appointment.

In the foster room Puka wouldn’t let me even see her for days, and frankly I didn’t really care to. She started coming out little by little, still expressing her dislike for me.

One day there was a breach in security and Puka escaped the foster room and was determined not to be caught. My cats were astounded and flabbergasted by her speed and attitude to say the least. I gave up trying to catch her after about 48 hrs.

I’ll sum this up. She started jumping in bed, talking to me constantly. What’s this? Oh you want to be pet now? Oh you like the other cats now too? Oh you need me to sleep with my hand on your bare belly after you wee spayed? Oh you love us. Ok you love our cats too? …. I love you back?! The idea of losing this most confusing cat ever is upsetting me? Fine you’re adopted.

July 8, 2016 at 5:51 am (12 months ago)

What a great story, Amy – now that’s tortitude! 🙂

7. NYCRR
    July 4, 2016 at 7:14 am (12 months ago)

After reading these posts, I’ve decided to read down my cat’s stories (how we meet, who they were/are, and what they are doing now).

Not sure if it will be child or adult form, hope I can get it published.

July 5, 2016 at 5:36 am (12 months ago)

That’s wonderful! Good luck to you!

8. Kelly
    July 3, 2016 at 9:49 am (12 months ago)

Last summer I found my sweet diluted gray torte outside of work, she was only 12 weeks old and skinny, starving, sick. I took her home and right to the vet, got her meds to clear up her fever and infection, nursed her back to health. It’s been a year now and I’m our bond is inseparable,ginger follows me everywhere around the house, she loves to be brushed and petted but hates to be held, she definitely has that tortitude! I just the other day finally found online what kind to of cat she is…diluted gray tortie, Love my ginger beauty.

July 4, 2016 at 5:36 am (12 months ago)

Ginger sounds like a very special – and lucky – little girl, Kelly.

• Dano
      July 4, 2016 at 6:06 pm (12 months ago)

Wonderful. Yep, she’s got the tude. Callie will purr, nuzzle on your lap, belly rub, head butt, play, play, play. BUT…. don’t pick her up! Enjoy your love bug!

9. NYCRR
    July 1, 2016 at 8:36 am (12 months ago)

Working at another job, 8 started finding a stray Calico and then an all black female. The black one (TimTim short for Timid, our first meeting) became my best bud. During the next two years both had litter, the calico (Kali) lost hers but at one point Tim had litter of 5, all Torties. I called them the Jackson 5. Kali had a another litter of 2. One tortie and one orange and white. Named them Piglet 1 and 2. Eventually I was leaving this job and after a year and a half of be comin very close to my little crew, I knew I was going to miss them. Piglet 1 had become very friendly and would açept pets and food from my hand. Mind you every single one of the cats were born feral, but she was what I called friendly feral.

After I left a freind took over feeding the crew and was able to trap Piglet 1.

After a few days at the vet, she came home and after introductions to my other cats, she has fallen into place with them and in my hear.

My big boy Phelan, has made it known that this is HIS house. But everyone gets along and at night its very hard to sleep on my bed. Phelan (7) at the pillow, Allae (10) at the side and Pilget, now know as Tiggee (2) on my hip.

One big happy cat family (and I’m a Leo – ).

• NYCRR
      July 1, 2016 at 8:40 am (12 months ago)

Sorry for typos. “I started feeding a stray”,

10. Lisa
    June 29, 2016 at 7:59 am (12 months ago)

I was adopted by a 3 year old tortie 16 yrs ago, when she swiped at me from her feral cat adoption display cage. Old meanie is still kicking it, though slowing down and getting more affectionate. A heartbreak waiting to happen, but I’ll love her attitudinal a** til the end.

• John
      June 30, 2016 at 5:59 pm (12 months ago)

Our tortie, seven years old, does the same thing: she perches on the highest level of the cat tree and takes swipes at us as we walk past.

The phrase “heartbreak waiting to happen” is only too true, but I’m glad you’ve been able to love her so long.

11. Barbara
    June 27, 2016 at 9:33 pm (12 months ago)

I had a sweet-natured, gentle, not at all subborn or fiesty little Tortie (Dini was her name) for 16 wonderful years. She was a little thing, just 9.5 pounds (her correct weight for size.) If I could have two more like her, I’d adopt!

• Barbara
      June 27, 2016 at 9:35 pm (12 months ago)

P.S. She was so affectionate. She would lie on my lap or in my arms literally for hours. Maybe I just lucked out with her sweet temperament (or maybe because when I adopted her, I was told her family’s father didn’t want her because she was the runt of the litter.) I was blessed with her!

June 28, 2016 at 5:52 am (12 months ago)

She sounds like she was very special, Barbara.

• Mike
      June 29, 2016 at 5:27 pm (12 months ago)

She sound a lot like my cat, Juniper. Just super sweet and loving. Not a mean bone in her body. That isn’t to say that she doesn’t love to run around like a crazy devil!

12. Angie
    June 21, 2016 at 9:52 pm (1 year ago)

We adopted our first tortie a little over a month ago. Actually she is a dilute tortie. She has adapted very quickly to our three dog home. She can be very affectionate and confident. Are the dilute tortie also known to have “tortitude”?

June 22, 2016 at 5:10 am (1 year ago)

They sure do, Angie. Some say that tortitude becomes stronger in dilute torties, others say it’s a bit, well, diluted. 🙂

13. Carol sherratt
    June 20, 2016 at 5:45 pm (1 year ago)

I am owned by a 7 week old dilute tortie. She already displays some of these traits. She doesn’t like to be picked up, but will happily jump onto the sofa and settle beside me. She has already learned to play fetch and tries to open the door. Can’t help but be amazed at her tortitude.

• dano
      June 20, 2016 at 8:31 pm (1 year ago)

Congratulations! You have entered the bizarre world of tortie. She “will” figure out how to do anything her heart is set on. She will earn your eternal Awwwwwwwwwwww!

June 21, 2016 at 5:47 am (1 year ago)

That’s a great way of explaining tortitude, Dano!

14. MuddyKip
    June 9, 2016 at 10:15 am (1 year ago)

My tortie, named Peanut, has a high level of tortitude. She lays next to you on your pillow, purring, then if you look at her she’ll scratch your face, lol

• dano
      June 10, 2016 at 7:59 am (1 year ago)

Well from your laugh, it mustn’t be very hard. My tortie was in the living room and then suddenly whipped into the bed room, and like a tornado, was on the bed in half a second. She grabbed my arm and like a kicker stick, got her hind legs going on me and started biting on my hand. I gently played with her back with me other arm to free myself. But she didn’t bite, or kick hard. She was just in that we ound up tude mood. Crazy cat, full of play, and love. Enjoy your girl!

June 10, 2016 at 3:37 pm (1 year ago)

I always thought “tornado” was a good description for a tortie… 🙂

• MuddyKip
      June 13, 2016 at 11:25 am (1 year ago)

No, it’s not too hard, plus we are going to get her claws trimmed soon.

• Kelly
      June 18, 2016 at 2:47 pm (1 year ago)

Just found a torte kitten yesterday morning!!! She was abandoned by someone I think. We were going to take her to the animal shelter but my mom say how I was looking at her and how she would only come to me. Next day: she is wrapped up in a blanket right now snuggling up on me with her head on my heart!
      Description: 1.5 pounds
      Black, with some tan below the right eye and above the left eye!!
      Tan on the very to of her tail!! She is bald on her neck right now from fleas but vet said she will grow fur there in a few weeks!!
      Half of her chin is white and that’s the only place she is white!!?

June 19, 2016 at 5:52 am (1 year ago)

She sounds precious! Feel free to post photos of her on our Facebook page, we’d love to see her!

• dano
        June 19, 2016 at 9:11 am (1 year ago)

Calico, and tortoiseshell kitties, are the most amazing IMHO of the feline pets. I have had quite a few cats over my life, but none, by far, compare to the antics, and thinking abilities, of these two. Hold onto her for her whole life, and enjoy her. I do want an all black cat somewhere along the line.

• Liz Gardner
        June 19, 2016 at 12:01 pm (1 year ago)

Oh Kelly you lucky thing you. There is no being in the world as gorgeous as a tortie kitten. Make the most of her kittenhood as it doesn’t last for long unfortunately and watch out for your soul for she will get into it and capture you for ever 🙂

15. chuck
    June 5, 2016 at 3:58 pm (1 year ago)

I have been a cat owner since I was a kid and Pebbles is just about the coolest cat ever(They all were actually). She was picked up by my daughter at the San Diego Animal shelter were we used to live and now she’s a Maui cat! Cost a thousand dollars to get her here(animal quarentine for rabies) but worth every penny!

• Julia
      June 6, 2016 at 2:17 am (1 year ago)

Once a cat person, always a cat person! I recently lost my beloved tortie Roxy. She was nearly 20 and still the boss of the house until the very end. She ran a tight ship – strict routines, cuddles on demand, and meals served exactly on time – oh, and never the same food twice in a row. Without her presence my house was just an empty shell but luckily for me I heard about two cats, a mother and a daughter, that had been rescued by a pet charity after their owner died and I needed them as much as they needed a new home. So Bella and Loulou adopted me – and Loulou turned out to be a blue tortie. How lucky is that!

June 6, 2016 at 6:02 am (1 year ago)

I’m sorry about Roxy, but I’m so glad you opened your heart to two new cats – and one a tortie, too! Lucky, indeed. 🙂

• dano
        June 19, 2016 at 9:16 am (1 year ago)

Marvelous, of the two mew kitties!!!!!! I am sorry hearing of Roxy, But she can live on indefinitely in your heart, and you will see a bit of her in your blue tortie, I’m sure.

• Liz Gardner
        June 19, 2016 at 12:09 pm (1 year ago)

She sounds so like my Chickpea (she was 18) who I lost recently (I was heartbroken sick with grief) but fate soon intervened and an 18-month tortie and then an 8-week old tortie and an 8-week old fluffy female tuxedo were brought to my door – they all needed a home and I could hardly refuse 🙂

16. Elizabeth Gregory
    May 25, 2016 at 1:42 pm (1 year ago)

I had a muted tortie named Bubb. Our son chose her out of a box of “free kittens” on a porch because she was so ugly he didn’t think she’d find a home. Bubb was an ugly kitten but she grew up to be a very pretty cat. She had lots of care, attention and love, but from the first, she was a hellraiser. She would have nothing to do with anyone but me. If I wasn’t home, she might deign to sit next to my husband. She adored me. If I sat down, Bubb was in my lap, usually staring devotedly into my face. Often she’d reach up and gently touch my cheek. If I was reading, she’d try to get between me and the book. Total devotion but total possession. She raised such a yowl at the vet’s one day that I ran in to see what they were doing to her. They were putting on flea medicine as I’d asked! She was so mean, she had “Bad Cat” written on her chart. This the same vet who took care of my 130 lb German shepherd male and my 95 lb. German shepherd female. She bossed the dogs around horribly. They gave her a wide berth.

On the day she died (of cancer), she hissed at my housekeeper who was bringing her some water.

May 26, 2016 at 5:26 am (1 year ago)

“Hellraiser” seems like a good term to describe a tortie. Your Bubb sure was a tortie to the very end, wasn’t she, Elizabeth. I’m sorry about your loss.

17. Grant
    May 24, 2016 at 1:25 pm (1 year ago)

I have a 5 month old tortie her name is floki iv had her for just over a month now when I first got her she was so friendly she would always want pats and sit on my lap and even sleep in bed with me…..but now since the start of Teenage hood she has become quite a excuse my French b#tch she will not let me pat her anymore and she sleeps next to the bed now not with me. The only time she shows me any form of affection is if she wants something for eg. Me to play with her or because I have food. It’s quite heart breaking and I do prey she grows out of it I miss my friendly floki 🙁

• Yaspar Kyashred
      May 26, 2016 at 3:26 pm (1 year ago)

Take heart, Grant! My tortie and I went through a difficult adjustment period, too. She is a much more touchy, high-strung cat than I’ve ever known before. I learned to read cat body language on Jackson Galaxy’s website, and over time she has mellowed out. We’re best buds now, and she follows me everywhere on our property. Be patient, learn to read her body language, leave her alone when she displays irritation, and she will come around. The fact that she sleeps next to you is a sign she likes you.

• andrea
      May 26, 2016 at 4:55 pm (1 year ago)

Hi Grant,
      If you haven’t already, you might also want to take her to the vet. Sometimes a medical issue can change behavior.
      Best wishes,
      Andrea

18. Ione
    May 22, 2016 at 11:05 am (1 year ago)

I have a chocolate female tortie who was born a very light grey with darker grey ears, legs, and tail like a Siamese. As she got older she started to darken and the colors became more evident. She has a meow that still sounds like a kitten. She is a very sweet and loving cat, and very patient with children.

May 23, 2016 at 5:29 am (1 year ago)

She sounds beautiful, Lone. Feel free to post photos on our Facebook page.

19. Rachel-Marie Jeffrey
    May 20, 2016 at 2:15 am (1 year ago)

Hi, I just got my tortishell kitten yesterday. She was a stray, and I thought she was just too beautiful to leave outside. Her coat is a mix of brown, black, gold, cream, and white. She’s an incredibly timmid and loving creature, and very different from my last cat. I’m not quite sure how to handle her. I could use some tips 🙂

May 20, 2016 at 5:35 am (1 year ago)

Thank you for rescuing this little girl, Rachel-Marie. As she settles in, she may become less timid over time.

20. Katie
    May 19, 2016 at 9:36 am (1 year ago)

I love this site! You all sound like amazing pet parents! I have a special little girl in my life named Molly. My sister found her as a baby kitten in the jaws of a big lab who was using her as a chew toy! Luckily, Molly got out of those teeth alive and sis asked if I would foster care her until we found a home for her. That first night, Molly climbed up and fell asleep in my arm. I called sis the next day and told her not to bother finding a forever home, Molly has one! Molly still sleeps in my arm every night, laying there purring with my hand being held by her paws against her chest. She sits on the vanity and looks at herself in the mirror. She meows at me while batting her lashes at me until I tell her she’s the most beautiful girl in the world. She has lovely emerald green eyes and the most loving personality! Truman, my black and tan tabby, and her are very good friends! I’ve had many cats in my lifetime. I couldn’t imagine a day without the unconditional love that they bring to my world. Had a repair man here the other day to fix a running toilet. Molly was right in there with him, meowing at him telling him how to fix it! The repairman laughed……telling me that I have a very smart cat! Every cat is a little fur person, their own personalities, things so very unique to just that cat. Truman hides from everyone, except me. He’s laying on my lap right now as I type this. He’s a rescue cat too. She rules this house with her meows and purrs. Keeps Truman in line and me on a short leash. The capacity my babies have to love is astounding.

May 19, 2016 at 9:57 am (1 year ago)

Doesn’t that sound just like a tortie: giving the repair man instructions! Molly sounds wonderful, Katie. Feel free to post photos of her on our Facebook page.

21. Jessica Spurling
    May 19, 2016 at 12:49 am (1 year ago)

When I was a kid, I found a tortoiseshell kitten in the woods. She was the prettiest little thing I’d ever seen and I loved her completely. I brought her home. My mother made me bring her back to where I’d found her and leave her. I was heartbroken.

My whole life I’ve dreamed of having a tortoiseshell kitty but circumstances did not lead to it until recently. Two years ago, we were in the fortunate position of being able to adopt some kittens from the SPCA. I so hoped there would be a tortoiseshell! I was of course happy to adopt *any* kitten. But it turned out we adopted three, and one of them was a torbie. She & I are very bonded. She’s super friendly, and the first cat to check out any new person to come into the house. She’ll roll over and be cute for just about anyone, but there’s no doubt that if she can be on my lap, that’s her favorite place. There’s no doubt this cat has tortitude. She is both the most friendly cat we have and also the most .. sensitive. She can’t handle any kind of stress.. she’ll pee on things if she’s the slightest bit unhappy with anything.

But she’s unbelievably adorable & intense and loving. A real torbie, under her blend of black/orange and a little white, she’s got intense dark reddish/orange stripes. I’ve loved all my cats deeply, and I know I’m biased because this is the cat I have now, but I can’t help but think I’ve never loved a cat so much as this one!

Thanks for your enjoyable article. I wish I could share a photo of my torbie in the comment! Maybe you can see her at this link: https://goo.gl/photos/ws6jgbpBwhTjdjyc7

and a random one of the three of them when they were still kittens: https://goo.gl/photos/Peqm94zvDr5PjMsH8

-jessica

May 19, 2016 at 5:54 am (1 year ago)

Oh my goodness, your babies are precious, Jessica! Feel free to share more photos on our Facebook page.

• Liz Gardner
      May 19, 2016 at 6:01 am (1 year ago)

Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh she is gorgeous

22. Lincoln
    May 15, 2016 at 6:52 pm (1 year ago)

My wife’s cat is a Tortoiseshell and very aggressive when being picked up She will make a howling noise and on rare occasions attack ( as my son in law found out ). She is vocal and will purr only when it is on her terms. she is about 11 years old now and will still run in the hallway like she is in the Indy 500. She will sit in the window and people that pass by say she has a sinister look to her. The night my wife died, the cat actually was crying. They do have feelings

May 16, 2016 at 5:37 am (1 year ago)

I’m sorry about your wife, Lincoln. There is no doubt that cats grieve, and it’s heartbreaking. If your tortie hasn’t had a good veterinary exam recently, you may want to get her checked out. The fact that she becomes aggressive when picked up could be an indicator that there’s a health problem.

23. Gary
    May 7, 2016 at 10:27 pm (1 year ago)

I have had a lot of cats over my 60 years including the more standard calicos but not a tortie until a few months ago, a bad person dumped a 6 or 7 month old tortie on me. I have several cats but fell for her and decided to keep her. Before I could get her fixed she turned out pregnant. She fit right in showing that tortitude, though they tried my older cats could not scare or intimiadate her, she intimidated them. She has had her beautiful kittens, four of them 3 weeks old now and she is a great mother. I was struck with one female that is gray, with white and pink/orange patches which seemed to indicate she was a calico. Doing some research I found there is such a thing as gray torties. She has mom’s patterns, just replace black with gray. I named her dawn, because with her pink/yellow patches and gray, she reminds you of an early sunrise where colors start poking thru gray clouds.

May 8, 2016 at 5:23 am (1 year ago)

What you’re describing is called a dilute tortie, and Dawn sounds like a purrfect name to me! “She reminds me of an early sunrise” – what a beautiful description!

• Gary
        May 8, 2016 at 5:44 pm (1 year ago)

Thanks for the info Ingrid and the complement on the name. Wish they had come up with something better than dilute, not very appealing. She also had a dark charcoal gray male who looks indentical to dad also a stray, and with mom now being the queen & in honor of the musician I named him Prince. She had another gray with white female and for some brightness had a yellow tabby. The yellow cat is short on tabby, more yellow/white or wheat. Amongst his mother’s dark torie colors and grayish sibblings, he shone like the sun, so I named him Apollo. He is so cute and cuddly, kittens are such fun but they grow up too darn fast!

May 9, 2016 at 5:47 am (1 year ago)

You are great at naming cats, Gary!

• Elizabeth Gregory
          May 25, 2016 at 1:49 pm (1 year ago)

I’ve heard them called “muted tortie”which I like better than dilute

24. gene
    May 1, 2016 at 6:40 pm (1 year ago)

My wife and I have Tortoise that was abandoned. She is black, tan and brown. Very loving….but when she is kissing we have always said she is just cleaning where she going to bite you. She loves to rub against me and will put up with me petting her for a little while when she’ll try and bite my hand. Bare feet are just an invitation for biting. She does love to go on our back porch in the morning and will talk to me when I ask her if she wants to go out. My wife and I always say this is her alone time. Her name is Smokey after her look.

• gene
        May 2, 2016 at 7:32 am (1 year ago)

Thanks for your reply Ingrid. I like your idea of distracting her if she is being aggressive. We’ve had her about 8 years now and we’ve just learned the do’s and don’t around her. We also have several other cats all with different personalities. I don’t foster agression in any of them…instead of let them do their own thing. Fun to read some of the other Tortoise related posts…as we’ve always wondered about her personality. Gene

• Cynthia
      May 5, 2016 at 9:41 pm (1 year ago)

I have to laugh about “….when she is kissing…” My little rescue, Allegra. First thing she did was give me two licks on the chin….once she got into my heart and home, it became two licks and a bite. Enjoy Smokey for all the love she has to give you and by all means, always go barefoot! ❤️

25. Liz Gardner
    April 27, 2016 at 11:11 pm (1 year ago)

I lost Chickpea my beautiful brindle tortie on the 22nd April 2016 she was 18 years old and the love of my life. At the moment I feel totally heartbroken and truly feel that all the light and fun has gone out of my life and the future looks barren and bleak without her. She was the dearest, sweetest being that I have ever known and she has captured my soul for eternity.

April 28, 2016 at 5:31 am (1 year ago)

I’m so sorry, Liz. It’s devastating to lose a soul cat like Chickpea. My heart goes out to you.

• Liz Gardner
        April 28, 2016 at 7:12 am (1 year ago)

Thank you for your kind words. It is amazing though what 3.75kgs of tortie can do.

• dano
      April 28, 2016 at 7:32 am (1 year ago)

Jump back in the water. Let another cat, or kitten choose you. It’s great medicine, for a broken heart. My wife, and I, did just that with a tortie girl, after losing our sweetheart tabby at 21. No one can replace him in our lives, but a thankful new kitty life can help fill the void.

• Liz Gardner
        May 6, 2016 at 9:21 am (1 year ago)

Hello Dano

Fate degreed that I should have a new tortie. Got informed of a 15 month tortie needing a home a couple of days ago answered the call and she is now in my life and home and I’m so glad that I did – she is like a great big ball of sunshine and things do not look so bleak any more. I’m already madly in love with her absolutely adore her. She settled in within 48 hours and has made friends with her grumpy 16 year old female tabby flat mate. There is something so special about torties something that no other being possesses – I love all cats and have up until recently usually had a mixture of 5 or 6 – the torties though seem to manage to worm their way right into my soul 🙂

May 6, 2016 at 9:38 am (1 year ago)

Congratulations, Liz! You are so right: there is something special about torties. 🙂 Post pictures of your new girl on our Facebook page!

• Dano
          May 9, 2016 at 8:31 am (1 year ago)

So happy for you.

• derin
      May 17, 2016 at 4:57 am (1 year ago)

I no exactly how you feel we lost our 19yr old bridle tortie Jessie 15th April 2016 I miss her like mad because she was very vocal, my grown up children are devastated too, but I am trying to focus on all the love we shared and laugh about when we remember how stubborn she was at times.

May 17, 2016 at 5:42 am (1 year ago)

I’m sorry about your Jessie, Derin.

• Derin
          May 18, 2016 at 9:55 am (1 year ago)

Thank you ingrid time is a great healer my only sadness that her passing wasn’t at home where she felt happiest she wasn’t a socialable cat only with close family and our other 2 pets garfield a ginger cat and shadow a labrador that miss her dearly too

• Liz Gardner
        May 17, 2016 at 6:14 am (1 year ago)

So sorry to read of your terrible loss. I know it is cold comfort but there is a tortie soul out there looking for you – she can comfort your broken heart and you can give her a forever home – life without a tortie is just too grim to contemplate.

• Elizabeth Gregory
      May 25, 2016 at 1:53 pm (1 year ago)

We have a wall in our house with photos of all our animal companions. My husband is a chip carver and he carved a plaque for us which reads, “to live in hearts we leave behind is not to die” a quote by Campbell. It gives me comfort to know my beloved pets have not died, but live on in my heart.

26. Amanda Parkerx
    April 27, 2016 at 4:29 am (1 year ago)

Mine wants to play 100% of the time. Which is fun!

27. Wendy
    April 23, 2016 at 5:02 pm (1 year ago)

I have a tortoise whose name is talia…she is full of life and that attitude…tried to take her today to a big event to get shots and microchip with lots of other animals and after standing in line for 45 min in her Kennel that she doesn’t like anyway and numerous dogs sniffing in she was in no mood to be messed with she hissed and screamed it broke my heart …needless to say that didn’t happen so she will be going to a clinic to get every thing done at once…it was like watching your child when Dr’s were doing something to them…I don’t know what to do for next time but I love my talia

April 24, 2016 at 5:33 am (1 year ago)

It sounds like you need to find a cat-friendly vet and make an appointment so you don’t have to wait with her, Wendy. Cats get so easily stressed, and the long wait plus all the other animals would be a challenge for even the most mellow cat.

28. linda degayner
    April 22, 2016 at 12:23 am (1 year ago)

Tortatude-I am so glad I ran acrossed this page!
    11 years ago our kids brought a kitten home from a cardboard box in front of a grocery store.
    We named her Tiki and she is a tortie extraordinaire!
    She is such a fun kitty still. She was raised with two Lab mix dogs and we would just love watching her jump over them as they lay in the grass- over and over. So many stories about that cat…She is wonderful.

April 22, 2016 at 5:57 am (1 year ago)

I can just picture a tortie holding her own with two big dogs, Linda!

29. andrea
    April 21, 2016 at 5:33 pm (1 year ago)

I have two torties, Diva, (16yrs), and Fea, (8mos.). Strangely, I inherited them both from my Father-in-Law who found them and then promptly asked me to take them. I have had Diva since she was about 12 weeks old and we just got Fea on Christmas Eve. I also have a six year old black cat who we call Mimi The Mellow.
    The similarities between Fea and Diva are remarkable, Fea reminds me of Diva when she was younger. Both are the bravest cats I have ever encountered, Diva actually defended a dog, my parent’s dog growled at mine once and she smacked the dog repeatedly on his face, pretty gutsy from a cat as small as she is. The dog was completely surprised and ran away. Strangers come over and both the torties come out to meet them, not Mimi. she hides
    They both love water and Fea gets in the shower with me everyday which is a good thing because if she doesn’t show up I know she’s locked in a closet, drawer, or wherever she snuck into without the human who shut her in knowing. Diva did the same when she was younger, poor thing was always getting shut in closets, drawers and cabinets.
    I am Diva’s human, always have been, Fea hasn’t decided who belongs to her yet.
    All of my three cats make me smile, the torties make me laugh outloud.

April 22, 2016 at 5:59 am (1 year ago)

Both of your torties sound wonderful, Andrea, as does Mimi. Taking on a dog – now that’s tortitude!

• dano
      April 23, 2016 at 10:07 am (1 year ago)

Filed under “Hear this a lot” Like Flea, our tortie hasn’t a favorite at all. Whoever’s up for play, that’s the pick of the moment. 3 cats here as well. A tuxedo cat, main coon, and this sweet little tortoiseshell.
      The tux weighs in approximately 10 lbs. The coon, around 7. Our little tude-ster can’t be much more than 2 and a half to 3. She’s a runt, but the other 2 fear her, or what she’s gonna do. She eats a lot, but has so much energy, the pounds don’t stick. I know I’d love all your furry kids.

• andrea
        April 23, 2016 at 3:51 pm (1 year ago)

Hi dano,
        Both my torties are also little, my black cat outweighs them by at least 5lbs. When we first saw Fea on Christmas eve she was so small I thought she couldn’t be more than 12 weeks old, (turns out she was about 5 months). She was at my in-laws house and my father-in-law had been feeding her ham sporadically for about a week. She came up to the glass door and when my daughter saw her she immediately went outside and started playing with her, she was very friendly.
        My father-in-law asked me if I could take “him” to be neutered, but had no intention of bringing the cat indoors. I told him that torties and calicos are almost always female and we decided to bring her home with us that night. He had named her “ugly” not sure why except that she has the most dramatic markings, we decided to name her Fea, (Fay-Uh), which means ugly in Spanish, meant to be ironic.

The first couple days were a little scary here, she made the most ungodly grunting, growling noises at the other cats. I thought we were going to have a problem but over these few months she has settled in nicely, she and my black cat play and she is quite friendly with us humans and wants to be with us more often than not.

I have no idea where she was living before she showed up at my in-law’s, I was shocked when my vet told me how old she was. She doesn’t vocalize like my other cats, so I’m not sure how much human interaction she’s had but she greets us, arches her back to be petted and quivers her tail. I imagine she’ll be talking to us soon.
        She also eats a lot, I swear the cats eat more than my two dogs.
        I am so happy to have found this blog, a place where we can share our torticosis.

• dano
          May 18, 2016 at 7:59 am (1 year ago)

Great to hear. What a gift that girl is.

30. Karen
    April 21, 2016 at 9:27 am (1 year ago)

I have a torbie, Lucy. She gas all the tortie features and variations of beautiful colors on her her back and head, then under chin, her face, and belly are all markings of a grey tabby.
    She’s 4 yrs old and one of 6 cats in our home, 3 of them are her litter mates. She is probably the most hateful cat I’ve ever had. She definitely doesn’t like any of the other cats, she hisses at them, or growls when they’re too close, she attacks our 4 yr old Pit Bull Terrier that she was pretty much raised with. She doesn’t care for me but loves my husband and will crawl up in his lap anytime she catches him sitting. I love her dearly, but question some of her behaviors; she urinated in my bathroom sinks, litter boxes aren’t the issue because I have so many boxes per cat and have always used the same type of litter. She also sprays my curtains multiple times a day, she and the other cats have all he spayed and neutered, so I’m not sure why she sprays and neither is the vet. She’s the least affectionate cat ive ever had, doesn’t stop me from picking her up and petting her and kissing her, just hate that she doesn’t like it.

• andrea
      April 21, 2016 at 8:05 pm (1 year ago)

Hi Karen,
      I have three cats, two torties and a very mellow black cat and I consider myself lucky that they all get along. I think torties need something extra to keep them busy. My newest Fea has a favorite toy that she takes with her wherever she goes. They all also have my twelve year old daughter who plays with them constantly.
      If you don’t have one already, cat trees are the greatest, they give cats a place to climb and hide if they need to. Try playing with your crazy tortie, you may need to experiment with different toys to find the one she likes. If you keep her busy and redirect her energies with play it may help lessen her aggression and spraying.
      Don’t give up on her.
      Best of luck,
      Andrea

• Karen Randall
      April 22, 2016 at 10:45 am (1 year ago)

Thank you, Andrea… we do have a huge cat tree, which was a hit when we first got it, was big enough to accommodate all 6 of them, she just didn’t want to have anything to do with it if the others were on it. She seems to be most happiest if she can be in one of my son’s rooms, without any other cat, and that worked real well for a bit, til she sprayed in each of their bedrooms. All of my cats are indoor only, but with Lucy, I’m finding that she does ok to go out for awhile and return when she wants to, just scares me so much bc we live in the country and have had wild dogs and other issues that make me worry for her. I’ve had other torties in the past, they’ve all been full of attitude, Lucys mom was a tortie and was the sweetest girl. I have had people tell me that some cats just do better in a one cat home, of course that isn’t a possibility, I’m not letting any of them go, so we just keep hoping she will eventually be happy. In the meantime I’ve given her the spare bedroom, leaving the windows open slightly so she can bask in the sun on the days she isn’t able to go out, she does come out from time to time to get some petting and treats and hiss at her siblings or chase the dog.

31. Candy Bedford
    April 8, 2016 at 9:50 am (1 year ago)

I just lost my torti although I referred to her unique personality as “cattitude” but reading the comments, tortitude justly describes her. She was mostly an indoor cat, took her to the vets regularly but recently got outside of my lanai in Florida and there are mortal dangers outside. She was found by a neighbor a week ago Sunday. There was no obvious signs of trauma but when I noticed that she wasn’t eating a lot, a neighbor confirmed that she was feeding her. She was roughly 11 y/o and was missing a joint in her legs so she was very short, a dwarf. She will be missed. She was my kitty curled up in the TV room, tolerated the other cat within hissing distance. Joey, the part siamese, misses her. He looked after her and has been running around the lanai trying to call her in this week. She had unique coloring, one beige front paw. I still have a dog and cat and they are all unique. As a widow, they offer great comfort at the end of the day.

April 8, 2016 at 9:53 am (1 year ago)

I’m so sorry about your loss, Candy.

• Kim
      April 19, 2016 at 10:16 pm (1 year ago)

I rescued my tortie Patches from my neighborhood. She was about 4 weeks old, running on the street. I was afraid she would get hit by a car as her littermate did. It tried catching him too but couldn’t. I was going to foster Patches but ended up keeping her. I’ve had her for 4 years now. She whines for attention and will crawl onto my lap or on me in bed. She won’t do this to anybody else but me. She’d very affectionate, but only to me. She also looks like a little owl.

April 20, 2016 at 5:30 am (1 year ago)

Patches sounds wonderful, Kim. Post pictures on our Facebook page!

32. Kathy Joyce
    April 2, 2016 at 11:16 am (1 year ago)

We had a tortie for 21 1/2 years and enjoyed every minute of it. All her antics her bites scratches etc. She was very loving. My strangest memory is when my husband and I went for a walk out behind our home. She got up on our fence and meowed. As we walked further she meowed louder, eventually screeching for us to get back where we belonged. She passed on about 10 years ago and we still miss her.

April 2, 2016 at 3:41 pm (1 year ago)

She was trying to keep you safely within her sight, Kathy! I love it. 🙂

33. Shannon
    April 1, 2016 at 8:59 pm (1 year ago)

10 months ago we fell in love with a torti that was rescued 6 hrs south. She is our first pet and our 6 yr fell in love instantly – my husband took about a week. From being found with 60 different kittens in a trailer, scarlett had several different issues. At one point last summer we all had ringworm (I was 8 mos pregnant), but we didn’t care we did everything we could to cure our new family member. Scarlett is very loving but has the strangest personality ever. She never really meows, hisses or misuses the liter box…but she does other weird stuff. When she was first brought to our house she was skinny and missing fur, so we fed her more than normal to get her weight back. Over the last 6 months I’ve been trying to cut back. The problem is that if she wants to be fed and it’s not time she walks around the house doing stuff to tick us off. She knocks over everything on tables, she jumps on surfaces she’s not supposed to, she just generally turns into a jerkface. It’s actually hilarious. She will never crawl onto our tables or purposely knock over glasses, bottles, baby monitors, lamps, or purses unless she wants to be fed. Is scarlett possessed?

April 2, 2016 at 5:55 am (1 year ago)

“Is Scarlett possessed?” No. She’s a tortie! 🙂 She sounds like quite a character, Shannon!

• dano
      April 3, 2016 at 7:27 am (1 year ago)

Ingrid is quite right. Our Tortie does those same things. Believe me, she knows what she is doing. Uniquely smart kitties. Ours, jumps up on the TV stand and walks in front of the screen, because she knows that box is getting the attention she wants, from my wife. She selectively picks out pictures sitting on our roll-top to conveniently tap with her Polydactyl front paws, and looks directly at us with her cutest whoops face on. Nope not possessed, just possessive. lol

• Gretchen
      April 7, 2016 at 10:08 am (1 year ago)

I am fostering my first Tortie girl.. a mama cat who came with her 4 x 4 week old babies.. very underweight and although friendly.. she was classified as a stray. Fast forward 10 weeks …. I still have her in foster care and she is a complete unit. She is chatty, crazy, erratic, boisterous, feisty and completely loving. After reading people’s posts .. I can see that “tortitude” is very bloody real. I felt like I was living with the poster child whilst reading it. hahaha

April 7, 2016 at 11:27 am (1 year ago)

Sure sounds like it, Gretchen!

34. Rae Ann
    March 26, 2016 at 3:49 am (1 year ago)

My 14 year old Tortie Bobbie, passed away recently. She was my best friend and beloved companion. She was a cat I rescued from certain death. I was at a local bank’s drive-thru window on a very cold December day. I spotted a cat laying in the parking lot on the snow covered ground. I pulled my truck over to where she was laying and got out to see if she was still alive. I touched her, but she was very cold, not moving , bloody and barely breathing. I got a blanket from my truck , wrapped her in it and placed her on the floor of the passenger seat under the heating vent. I decided to take her to the vet and have her humanely put to sleep. But, on the way there in the warmth of the truck, she started to perk up and come back to life! She started purring and “talking” to me. The vet checked her out. She had bad abrasions on her back legs, a crushed ear, and her tail was broken in four places. I figured she had crawled up into the warm engine of a parked car. When the car was started, the fan belt probably got her. The vet treated her injuries, and a few days later, amputated most of her tail. By then I had completely fallen in love with her. Her personality was like your Amber’s, gentle, shy, sometimes stubborn, but very loving. She became my shadow. I like to think she was grateful for her rescue. She was very smart and I taught her tricks. She could fetch, shake, sit, lay down and “fish” treats out of small bags and containers. She had an awesome “toritude”. I miss her very much. Thank you for this site on Tories and letting people know how special they are, and allowing me tell her story here.

March 26, 2016 at 4:35 am (1 year ago)

I’m so sorry about Bobbie, Rae Ann. What a lucky girl she was that you found her on that cold night. Thank you for sharing your beautiful girl with us.

• Rae Ann
        March 27, 2016 at 2:12 am (1 year ago)

Thank you , Ingrid, I really appreciate your kind words. Keep up the good work!

• dano
      March 26, 2016 at 11:44 am (1 year ago)

I laugh, I cry. Very touched, and happy for what you did, and the years you had with her. Sad that 14 yrs is not near enough time, to spend with someone you did so much for. We all weep. I hope you will have another, to fill the void. Lost my best friend Biggles last July. My wife desired another. and I was grieving. In October, she found a rescue Tortie, that I refused to go see. I was in a weak kitty state, and felt the time was not right. A woman will do according to her heart, and we now have a wonderful little lady, that rules the house, and earns respect from our other two feral neutered males. Thank you for the wonderful story of love.

• Rae Ann
        March 27, 2016 at 2:10 am (1 year ago)

Thank you, Dano, for your kind words and understanding my grief. I am so happy that you found another rescue Tortie to love and take care of. Rescues make the best companions.
        Best wishes to you and your’s.

• Karen Z
      March 26, 2016 at 7:50 pm (1 year ago)

Aww, what a story. I cried . What a lucky sweet baby to have someone like you to take time and love her back to life. I’m so happy you had each other in this life. Maybe you will rescue another from a life in a cage . You certainly have the right heart for it . My rescue is a tortie who is blind. Her mother was very sick and gave birth to her and 9 siblings, all who died. She was born I a gutter. She runs and jumps and plays , she has no idea she is impaired! Our house is blessed to have her. Thanks agian for your story. My baby’s name is Juniper!

• Rae Ann
        March 27, 2016 at 11:27 pm (1 year ago)

What a sad but inspirational story about your Tortie. I have always believed that disabled animals should be given a chance to have a full life filled with love and caring. You are a special person to give this to Juniper. It sounds like she is very happy and well loved.

• Jack Eardley
      April 7, 2016 at 6:50 pm (1 year ago)

I am very sorry for your loss. My tortie, Sabrina, passed away two days ago. I had 13 wonderful years with her. Back in 2003, I found her running through a Walmart parking lot during an ice storm. She was very malnourished and blind in her right eye. She turned out to be a wonderful member of our family, and I miss her very much.

April 8, 2016 at 5:25 am (1 year ago)

I’m so sorry, Jack. My heart goes out to you.

35. Muriel Setters
    March 22, 2016 at 2:30 pm (1 year ago)

We adopted two beautiful cats four years ago. One is a tuxedo who is a happy playful cat. The other is a calico or tortoise. While tuxedo cat doesn’t seem to know how to be disagreeable our tortoise tends to growl or hiss quite often when tuxedo is near. There are times when they happily play together and spend time together. But it’s the other times that concern me. We’ve ordered some of Jackson Galaxys recommended Grouchy Cat serum and hope it helps. Tortoise cat loves me and spends hours at a time on my lap. She wants me all to herself but I feel bad for tuxedo cat. He doesn’t seem unhappy but it does worry me a bit

March 23, 2016 at 5:01 am (1 year ago)

Try structured playtime with both cats together, Muriel. Use two wand toys, and play 10-15 minutes, twice a day. It can help your tortie discharge some energy, and it will create a positive association between the two cats.

• dano
      March 23, 2016 at 6:29 am (1 year ago)

Sounds like you’re covering all the recommended avenues. Hope all works out. I’ve got a tortoiseshell and a tuxedo, likewise. The tortie Can show her strength in attitude, when she feels Tux pushing his weight with her. Still I treat both evenly. I watch for times when Tux seems a bit depressed, and I spend a little extra rub rub and play time with him. It’s very difficult to keep all three of our kitties from dominating, or getting a bit left out. So Far So good. I hope the same for yours.

36. Paula
    March 20, 2016 at 8:19 am (1 year ago)

We adopted our tortie Zooey one year ago. It wasn’t a planned adoption. My fiancé took our dog to the vet for a check up, and there she was in the waiting room, looking for a new home. He instantly fell in love, and soon she was ours. Everything I’ve read in this article is true of her. She has become my little sidekick, greeting me at the door everyday when I come home from work, sleeping right on my pillow every night, I can’t even go into the bathroom alone! She’s not afraid of meeting new people, but she lets them know when they have overstayed their welcome and are taking too much of her cuddling time with mom (by giving them death stares from across the room). She prefers to communicate with short high-pitched purrs (cutest sound I’ve ever heard). Any object that gets placed on our coffee table is automatically her new toy. I wouldn’t trade my tortie for anything in the world!

• dano
      March 20, 2016 at 7:53 pm (1 year ago)

Your description matches Callie, just about right. Sweet but insistent on her own plain. Wants to be where the action is, quite a pleasure to be with, runs the house.

37. Merideth
    March 19, 2016 at 9:12 am (1 year ago)

I adopted my tortie, Inka about 6 months ago from the local humane society. They told me she was a stray previously and about one year old. As soon as we met at the shelter we bonded, she was nuzzling my face and sat in my lap, so obviously we were a match. When I brought her home she was super curious about her new home. Instead of going into hiding like the other cats I’ve encountered, she wandered around the house checking it all out. Once she was tired out, she cuddled with me instantly. Not much has changed since she arrived. She isn’t scared of much anything, instead of hiding when the vacuum is running, she sits and stares at and must sniff it when it’s off. Inka is by far the chattiest cat I have ever met, always meowing about something (or nothing). She is so well mannered and adjusts well to change, such as car rides or staying with my parents for the weekend. When company is over she insists on being the center of attention, but if she needs extra loving she always manages to find me amongst the visitors. She is incredibly smart and athletic; she mangages to balance on the smallest surfaces and even knows how to open drawers and her food storage container! Inka enjoys sitting on my shoulder most of the time, she will jump from the floor to my shoulder the second I walk in the door. It’s safe to say I picked a good one. She’s needy, nosey, and sometimes naughty, but I love her. And of course laying on my lap as I type.

March 19, 2016 at 4:00 pm (1 year ago)

Inka sounds wonderful!

38. Hayley
    March 19, 2016 at 4:19 am (1 year ago)

My tortie has so
    Much tortitude it’s hilarious!

She’s definitely the most spunky of all the cats I’ve had and we’ve had lots of different cats.

When she’s hungry she will
    Let you know by a series
    Of different meows and If you’re ignoring her she will look and you and give you a very loud “meow!” Like she’s saying “excuse me, human”. She’s very, very loving, more
    So than any cats ive ever had and we have a strong bond. She’s always on my lap, or following me around, I can’t even pee alone! She likes
    To give lots of random head butts, sometimes when I’m
    In the shower even! She’s very vocal about what she wants and she loves to be brushed. She does random things sometimes like sleeps in my closet, or bring me packets of black pepper (thinking they are treats!). She cracks me up daily and has so much attitude I can’t help but laugh out loud. I love this kitty more than anything. Would definitely recommended a tortie over any other cat because they will steal your heart forever. 🙂

March 19, 2016 at 4:35 am (1 year ago)

She sounds wonderful, Hayley. Torties are the best!

39. Nancy
    March 18, 2016 at 2:25 am (1 year ago)

We adopted a mother Tortie and her 5 kittens 7 years ago. One of her offspring is short haired and looks like her mother, one is a long haired tortie, one is a dilute tortie with long hair, one is black long haired with a tiny white patch on her chest and the only male is a huge and magnificent long haired orange cat. The kitten that looks like her mother is our resident thief and she prefers knit items. We have a little basket of old clean white socks and every night she carries some socks around the house. Sometimes she makes a nest with a pile and sometimes she makes a trail that looks like she carefully dropped them so they are evenly spaced. She has a muffled meow especially for sock carrying. One night she even pulled a pair of yoga pants into the living room by one leg. Over the years she had bonded with another one of our cats and when I had to put him to sleep there was no sock activity for about six months. She recently started getting close to one of our other cats and the socks started showing up again…….always at night while we’re asleep. The long hair tortie and her black sister and their mother also meow while they carry things in their mouths but it’s usually soft toys. I have pictures and pictures of sock trails because they amuse us so. All of the litter have different personalities (as does the mother) and I haven’t experienced a specific tortitude from any of them. I know it’s not too unusual for cats to bring “gifts” and to steal from the neighbors but Nakomi only has a love of socks and doesn’t even carry toys in her mouth. Every morning I pick up socks and return them to the basket……….sometimes she has brought out as many as 16 socks. I’m one of those people who over the years has had about every color of cat (all rescues) and the only one I ever had issues with was a calico who had major petting aggression. I just learned to watch for agitated signs while I petted her and would stop before she could sink her teeth into my arm. Some of our cats have been a challenge and I’m grateful that I haven’t had to re-home any of them; I feel sorry for people who have to make that decision and for the cat who is affected.

March 18, 2016 at 5:50 am (1 year ago)

Your tortie is quite a character, Nancy! I love your description of her “sock fetish!”

40. Nodi
    March 15, 2016 at 7:02 am (1 year ago)

My beloved tortie passed away two days ago (lung cancer) and while I was reading this article I just couldn’t stop crying. She was a true tortie with all the tortitude you could imagine. Last week she was so weak she hardly moved and she was unusually quiet, but on her last day she was talking to me again, meowing like she wanted to say it’s time. I know now it was a goodbye. I miss her so much… Tortoise cats are so very special, they really leave a mark. Even though she left too early I am forever thankful to have had her in my life for those 8 years.

March 15, 2016 at 3:32 pm (1 year ago)

I’m so sorry about your girl, Nodi.

• dano
      March 15, 2016 at 6:22 pm (1 year ago)

Now I cry! So sad. Less than 1/3 of her expected life. We all cry with you.

41. Rice
    March 12, 2016 at 10:13 pm (1 year ago)

I am thinking of adopting a Tortie ,she seems shy but is in a home with another cat and does not get along. Will she warm up to me even though she has been in this home a year and a half? She went to another home and was brought back she hissed at the lady. Should I back off.

March 13, 2016 at 4:42 am (1 year ago)

It sounds like this poor tortie has had a very stressful life for the past year and a half. Living with another cat she doesn’t get along with, then being returned after being rehomed – that’s a lot for a cat to adjust to. I have a hard time understanding how someone could return a cat because she hissed. Getting a shy cat to trust you can take time and patience, but it can also be incredibly rewarding. If you’re willing to make that commitment, you could probably make her very happy, but you need to be aware that it may take time before she warms up to you and comes out of her shell.

• Jen
        March 15, 2016 at 9:35 pm (1 year ago)

Hi,

I am hoping maybe some of you could offer some advice. I have a 4yr old Tortie and she is single handedly destroying every cord in my house and creating havoc with my two other furbabies. This is ongoing. I am to the point where I really think it’s time to re-home her. I truly don’t know how much more stress she can cause. She deserves to be in a home where she is the only pet. I believe that she is not meant to have have other animals around, or humans for that matter. She is aggressive when she is hungry and bites. She poops, never covers it. She has chewed more electrical cords than I can count and has now chewed through my tv cable cord. She does not know how to play. If the other two try play at all, she hisses and screams and throws herself down on the ground. She swats the others for no reason. She does not enjoy being pet. If/when I do try and pet her, she enjoys it for maybe a minute, begins to purr and then walks away and rubs any object in sight but will not cuddle or even be held. She can be sweet, but it is short lived. She feeds on demand and refuses to eat dry food. I have tried many, but wet food is all she will eat.

She is strictly indoor, and if she goes outside, she eats everything she shouldn’t, even stucco. I am truly sad and at my wits end with her. Any suggestions are truly appreciated.

March 16, 2016 at 5:21 am (1 year ago)

I’m sorry your tortie is such a challenge, Jen. If she hasn’t had a medical exam recently, start with that. Sometimes, extreme behavior can be the indicator of a medical problem. You’re dealing with multiple behavior issues, and I’d recommend working with a feline behaviorist. If you can’t find anyone locally to you, I can recommend Pam Johnson-Bennett or Marilyn Krieger; both do remote consults. Get covers for your cords, both to protect your cords, and your kitty. As for only eating wet food, that’s actually a good thing. Cats should never eat dry food, it’s not appropriate for an obligate carnivore.

• Jen
            March 16, 2016 at 9:05 am (1 year ago)

Sadly this isn’t new behavior. I’ve just tolerated it for years and called it her Tortitude LOL. She was checked out last year and passed with flying colors. She’s not graceful cat either. She’s not good with balance like you would assume cats are. The vet has said she’s just “special” 🙂 I feel terrible making her sound like a little monster. But she really can be. But then the other day she was giving me love head butts. That never happens. So. I just don’t know. Maybe there are meds that can calm her?? Anyone ever head of that at all?

• dano
            March 16, 2016 at 10:03 am (1 year ago)

Jackson Galaxy. If anyone can save your sanity, he can. Playtime, cat friendly environment, entertainment, large areas to explore. These are the things my wife, and I did for our cats. That helped them give up on harmful, and disturbing hsbits. Watching Jackson, and copying his suggestions changed 4 cats we’ve had into great family members, with few issues since.

March 16, 2016 at 7:42 pm (1 year ago)

These are all great suggestions, Dano. Jackson’s show is doing so much to make cats’ and their humans’ lives better by showing us how to really understand why our cats are “misbehaving” and what we can do to help them.

March 16, 2016 at 7:39 pm (1 year ago)

You could certainly discuss trying medication to modify her behavior with your vet, Jen. Some cats with serious behavioral problems do well on Prozac or similar drugs – there are a lot of different options. Generally speaking, medication should be used as a last resort for behavioral problems, but it can be an effective and appropriate choice for some cats.

42. Philly Peroxide
    March 12, 2016 at 2:42 pm (1 year ago)

We just adopted our 6 month old tortie Harley Quinn (with a very unique chimera face marking- complimenting her name) and her 6 month old pastel calico best friend Furiosa. We could not be happier with our new babies! Before we adopted them, we visited Harley in the shelter twice a week over the course of a month and a half. In that time, her and Furiosa were incredibly shy and Harley did not ever leave the comfort of the wooden box in her room. She was incredibly sweet though, loving her head scratched and her belly rubbed. When we brought them both home this week, it didn’t take them long to investigate their new kitty room. They quickly began to love their new kitty condo and now Harley is completely comfortable being out in the open!

I had my first experience with “tortitude” on the night of bringing them home. I gave them space to explore the room on their own, visiting every few hours. Later in the evening when I went to visit, I found both cats to be “missing.” They of course found their way behind the barrier we made into our storage space! Once we got them both back into their main area and blocked the storage space off again, Harley was absolutely determined to get back there again! I saw the determination in her face and noticed that she found her way up on the window ledge and slithered behind the tiniest crack in the barricade to get back there! Once I lovingly told her to get down and not sneak, she meowed back to me- the first time I heard her talk. I already love the special appeal of tortitude! More stories to come with my new special girls.

March 13, 2016 at 4:34 am (1 year ago)

Oh my goodness, they’re precious! I can’t wait to hear more about your girls and your intro to tortitude.

• Dano
      March 13, 2016 at 10:31 am (1 year ago)

Tortoiseshell lovebugs do not like being told not to do, play, or go. Our girl is loving, but sassy. You’ll find a way to block off areas you don’t want her in, and she’ll find another annoying thing to get into. Wouldn’t want her any other way (most of the time).

43. Cindi Klingert
    March 9, 2016 at 11:00 pm (1 year ago)

Hi Ingrid, thank you for all of your great tortie info. I rescued 2 kitten sibblings, the male Romeo, is black and white, and the female Juliet, is my chocolate tortie. Jules is very verbal when playing (or fighting) with her brother; she growls and hisses at him and I’m not sure if he is really hurting her or if they are just playing, so I break them up. Juliet sleeps with me (spoon position) under the covers, or she places her body on top of the covers directly over my feet and keeps my feet warm. She is very sensitive to thunder storms (or low pressure systems); she “low-rides” (almost crawls) very slowly and finds a very small, tight place to hide in. When we see her disappear, we know a storm is coming. She also is very verbal when she wants something, like her water bowl is low. My question is, why does she occasionally meow loudly at a couple of specific walls in our house. One wall has an air return vent at the top, so hubs thought she might be hearing the air passing through. But the other wall just has a picture mounted on it, and the garage on the other side. Is she seeing ghosts?

March 10, 2016 at 5:41 am (1 year ago)

She just might be seeing ghosts, Cindi… 😉 Unfortunately, she’s the only one who knows for sure. It’s possible that she hears the air passing through the one wall, or that she hears or smells something inside the walls that humans can’t hear or smell.

44. jeremy
    March 5, 2016 at 11:42 am (1 year ago)

Aren’t the ghost greys torties also? They are pictured when i google torties. That’s wat i own. She has white and beige and ghost grey. I see nothing in your article about those colored dilutes. Just wondering why you leave them out.

March 5, 2016 at 1:26 pm (1 year ago)

What you’re describing sounds like a dilute tortie, Jeremy. Some say the personality traits are even more pronounced in cats with the dilute pattern, others say they’re milder. I don’t think anyone knows for sure!

45. Name*
    March 2, 2016 at 11:25 pm (1 year ago)

I have a beautifull tortie and she’s 8 months old. I love her. Yes, she has some tortitude. She is unique. Most of the time she loves me, but has her moments. She will follow me around the house, all day. If I’m gone, she’ll pase the floors crying for me til I get home. I walk in the door after being gone all day, to her sitting there waiting for me. She sleeps with me every night and gets up with me in the morning. If I’m not awake when I’m suppose to be, she is in my face waking me. I love her and wouldn’t trade her for nothing

March 8, 2016 at 4:29 pm (1 year ago)

My tortie is 9 months and she sounds just like your kitten. She’s such a baby- shes all over me at night. so she’s active from like 11pm-3am, crying, playing with my hair sleeping under my neck. but she’s sooooo sweet! she loves to be kissed on her neck and even rolls over when i come home just so I can kiss her. I’ve had different breeds of cats, this one is by far my favorite.

• Dano312
        March 8, 2016 at 8:28 pm (1 year ago)

cCallie my tortie, thinks 11-3 AM is just the purrfect time to play with us, dropping stuffed mice, walking over, around, under covers, cold nose on your face. torties, that are this way, are the sweet brats!

46. Karina
    February 17, 2016 at 2:47 am (1 year ago)

We have a 4 year old tortoiseshell (Shelby), and although we know she has huge ‘tortitude’ I just brought home (yesterday) a tortoiseshell kitten. Shelby is so cranky with her humans. We managed to get a hold of a double level cat cage yesterday and are keeping the kitten (who is very playful) in that while we are not home and at night. Both are inside cats.
    Is there any suggestion of anything else we may be able to do, Shelby hisses at her and makes the most awful, exorcist sounding noise towards her, she is so not happy. The kitten knows to climb straight up to the 2nd level where she is safe though. I feel so bad keeping the kitten in the cage, but we play with her while she’s in it and take her out for regular cuddles.
    I’ve had a friend tell me it could take a month or longer 🙁
    We will persevere though Shailey the kitten is now family too.
    Thanks in advance 🙂 Karina

February 17, 2016 at 5:37 am (1 year ago)

You need to set the kitten up in a separate room, and gradually and slowly introduce the two cats. The way you’ve got it set up now, you’re creating unpleasant associations to being with each other for both cats, which will make it less likely that they’ll get along. And yes, it can take a month or longer. Here’s how to do slow and gradual introductions: http://consciouscat.net/2011/08/15/cat-to-cat-introductions/ Anytime things don’t go well, back up a step and go even more slowly. I hope this helps!

• Ange
      February 19, 2016 at 4:56 pm (1 year ago)

Sorry to hear your story…it reminds me of mine. I brought a new kitten home to my Tortie and I have since had to give up my kitten. Both being female I now know can be a problem. The kitten I had for a few months but it became increasing aggressive and dominant to the point of playfully attacking my Tortie leaving trails of her hair behind. Causing allot of stress for all of us! Climbing up curtains ruining them and allot of my clothes! I hope things turn out better for you! But you may have to consider giving her up.

February 19, 2016 at 5:35 pm (1 year ago)

I’m sorry you had to go through all of that, Ange. However, it is actually not true that gender has much, if anything, to do with whether two cats will get along. Slow and gradual introductions are almost always the way to ensure that two cats will get along, regardless of gender.

47. Katarina Golliheair
    February 15, 2016 at 2:25 pm (1 year ago)

I have had my beloved Tortie since 2011 she was first real pet and her name is Cisco, althought she has a myriad of other names, she knows Cisco the best. I have had full conversations with my cat, snuggle fests, unwanted painful bath times but I have to say I wouldnt trade all her tortiude for any other cat in the world, However this is the first time im hearing of “Tortitude” and I have to say I love it! She is the smartest most loving cat I have ever met its very clear that I am her person as she is mine we have a bond like no other she is so smart, she knows when I tell her to go to bed or to come cuddle on the couch she has terrible seperation anxiety as do I lol, But I can honestly say she is the gift that keeps on giving.

February 15, 2016 at 3:13 pm (1 year ago)

“The gift that keeps on giving” – I love that, Katarina!

• Katarina
        February 15, 2016 at 5:12 pm (1 year ago)

Thank you so much Ingrid!

48. Marie-Luce Beaulieu
    February 15, 2016 at 8:17 am (1 year ago)

We just rescued a tortoiseshell female cat on february 10th, I think that she’s about 8 – 9 months old. She had been hanging around our place for a while and became friend with us, so I started to feed her and she really liked it. As it bacame very cold outside i brought her inside but she was a bit scared and went hidind under my dresser in my bedroom. It’s been 4 days now and she is starting to come around as she is exploring her new home, she is very gorgeous and we decided to adopt her I call her Mimine ! I’m just somuch in love with her !

February 15, 2016 at 12:15 pm (1 year ago)

Thank you for rescuing Mimine, Marie-Luce. Feel free to post photos of her on our Facebook page, we’d love to see her!

49. Patti Randall
    February 6, 2016 at 10:30 am (1 year ago)

Over the years have had an array of cats,all different. However the first time I saw Bonnie she had decided to camp out,as a kitten on my Mom’s doorstep. I convinced to keep and she did. Her other cat Clyde was shy but not Bonnie she greeted ever body.
    My Mom died and we brought Bonnie home. No timidity of a new environment. She ran into bedroom checked out the bed and she has been the Queen of this home ever since. She loves all of us but I am difinetly her human. She is the most talkative cat I have ever had,more so than the simamese I have had. We love her dearly especially her toritude

50. Patrise
    February 2, 2016 at 11:54 am (1 year ago)

I have a theory about ‘tortitude’ that I’ve acquired as a cat person and cat portrait painter. Most cats have a fairly standard ‘eye makeup’ pattern that is most obvious on the standard tabbie cat: darker skin but light fur areas highlighting the eyes, making them appear larger. also, in tabbies the stripes that move out from the eyes lend a bit more openness of expression. Torties, especially the darker ones don’t have this pattern – their markings seem to be more random, as if the black and orange genes scramble differently, or mix like oil & water! I suspect it makes torties look a bit more aggressive. Frankly, all of my beloved cats have had plenty of ‘tude!

February 2, 2016 at 12:02 pm (1 year ago)

What an interesting theory, Patrise!

• Jay
      August 7, 2016 at 6:27 pm (11 months ago)

I will look into that eye coloring. Both my 2 Torties Stirfry and Styx are dark faced ( Styx so dark you almost never see her eyes. Styx was adopted by a woman who did not know cats and learned to hate women. She loves me. And Stirfry was a feral that pretty much hated everyone. Only 2 people ever were able to hold her – me and my girlfriend Bernie. But Stir was one of those special Torties that showed Tortitude every day to the extreme. Steeler, Kasey and Brooke were the others. I had a Pepsi Machine with their pictures put on it under the lights. Those Cats deserve to be remembered.