Hypoallergenic Cats: Do They Really Exist?

hypoallergenic_cat

Cat allergies are one of the top five reasons why cats are returned to shelters. However, according to the American Academy of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology, nearly 10 million people choose to share their homes with cats and dogs despite being allergic.

Being allergic to cats does not have to mean that you can’t share your life with cats. In addition to numerous things you can do to manage your cat allergies and still have all the benefits of sharing your life with cats, there are several breeds that produce fewer allergens. No cat breed is completely “hypoallergenic.” In a recent article for Answers.com, I explored the topic of cat allergies and introduced some of these hypoallergenic breeds. Click here to read the full article.

And keep in mind that you don’t have to necessarily purchase your hypoallergenic cat from a breeder. Shelters often have purebred cats who were abandoned by their guardians. There are also breed-specific rescue groups that may be able to help you find the right cat for you.

Image: Dreamstime

9 Comments on Hypoallergenic Cats: Do They Really Exist?

1. Karen Morgan
    January 14, 2017 at 5:34 pm (1 week ago)

Can you recommend a rescue shelter where I may find a hypoallergenic cat? Yes, I do know that no cat is totally allergy free. If so, I would like to register to the group. My friend that I’m looking for a cat for lives in Connecticut. I’m in Texas and have 5 kitty children I’ve rescued and feel a moral obligation to care for them through old age. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Karen

January 15, 2017 at 6:08 am (7 days ago)

I would google breed specific rescues for c”hypogallergenic” breeds, Karen. Even if you can’t find one in CT, some of these groups will adopt out of state.

• Karen Morgan
        January 15, 2017 at 12:39 pm (7 days ago)

Thank you so much.

2. nicole
    August 2, 2014 at 5:44 pm (2 years ago)

As an owner of two siberian cats, I’ve had minimal to no problems with allergies with them. I have chronic allergies to animals especially cats , in extreme forms such as watery eyes to the point of inability to see and less capacity to breathe. If I wash them once a month, I have no problems, even when they lick my face or snuggle up on my pillows regularly. My father whose throat closes up completely (sometimes has to epipen himself), has no sneezing or any problems with them even when they haven’t been bathed in awhile. All allergy things aside, they’re also some of the most loving and kind cats I’ve ever met! If you have any questions let me know!

3. Fur Everywhere
    July 30, 2014 at 3:48 am (2 years ago)

I’m one of those people who are allergic to cats and choose to share my life with them despite the allergies. Cats are totally worth it! I take medication, and one of these days, I’ll be getting allergy shots so I can become immune to the dander.

4. Mary Sue
    July 29, 2014 at 11:48 am (2 years ago)

Hypoallergenic just means less allergenic – less of the Fel d 1 protein that is the main allergen produced by cats, though there are many others in lesser amounts. Even though some breeds are said to be that, it can vary from cat to cat within the breed. I have been doing Devon rescue for 8 years. We have had many Devons given up because of severe allergies and do not adopt cats to people in homes in which a person with cat allergies lives.

Here is a site reporting research done on Siberian cats and addressing the hypoallergenic issue. http://siberianresearch.com/Levels.html

This is a good discussion from a vet. It includes a link to a lab that does testing for allergens in cats.

Unfortunately, there isn’t a lot of published research to prove or disprove the many discussions on hypoallergenic issue.

July 29, 2014 at 12:07 pm (2 years ago)

Thank you for providing links to additional information, Mary Sue.

5. toni / rctees
    July 29, 2014 at 10:17 am (2 years ago)

Yes, I’m allergic to both cats and dogs. When diagnosed 4 years ago my allergist said they would have to go outside. Yeah right! Both cat and dog are still inside and I manage.
    Great article and nice to see the list of “Hypoallergenic Cats”. Ingrid, I’m curious to know if you know anything about Turkish Vans (a shelter rescue…and “looked” like a Turkish Van)? Max was a head sleeper and would actually lick my hair…and my allergies were no worse then which sparks my curiosity. Thanks for another helpful article!!

July 29, 2014 at 12:08 pm (2 years ago)

I’ve heard that Turkish Vans can be a better choice for some people who have allergies, Toni, so it’s possible that they may shed less of the protein that causes allergic reactions.