Do Cats Get Colds?

do_cats_get_colds

Sneezing, runny nose, runny eyes, lack of appetite, fever – most humans know these symptoms only too well. If you see them in your cat, chances are, your cat has contracted an upper respiratory infection very similar to a cold.

Cold like symptoms can be caused by either a viral or bacterial infection. The two most common viruses that cause upper respiratory infections in cats are herpes and calici. Bacterial infections are most commonly caused by mycoplasma pneumoniae, bordatella bronchiseptica, and chlamydia psittaci bacteria.

In a recent article for Answers.com, I provided information on how cat colds are diagnosed and treated and whether they’re contagious. Click here to read the full article.

18 Comments on Do Cats Get Colds?

1. Khang
    October 16, 2015 at 8:13 am (2 years ago)

Can feline URI be contagious to dogs?

October 16, 2015 at 9:23 am (2 years ago)

It depends on the virus or the bacteria that are causing the cold. There have been some reports of cases of upper respiratory infections being caused by bordetella bronchiseptica, the same bacterial organism that is responsible for kennel cough in dogs.

2. Holly Padilla
    October 6, 2014 at 10:55 am (3 years ago)

Hi Ingrid
    My main coon doesn’t have any symptoms of running noes or eyes. His appetite is good as well. He just keeps sneezing since he came back from the vet to get shaved. Should I take him back to have the vet look at him and see if he is alright? I am hesitant to go back there since he was fine when I dropped him off to be groomed. I forgot to mention in my first e-mail I had been airing out my house since the temperature has dropped. Just to get a little fresh air. Is it possible its allergies? My cat is a inside cat he never goes out side. His appetite is good. Im very concerned because I have 3 other cats (indoor also) that don’t display any symptom.
    Concerned mama

October 6, 2014 at 11:27 am (3 years ago)

It could be allergies, it could be that he was exposed to a virus at the vet’s. Keep a close eye on him, and your other cats. If he develops additional symptoms, or if the sneezing doesn’t stop, contact your vet.

3. Lisa
    July 24, 2014 at 3:02 pm (3 years ago)

Thanks so much Ingrid for both responses!

4. Lisa
    July 22, 2014 at 1:04 pm (3 years ago)

Do you think Ingrid, a good probiotic might help with FHV? Someone once told me she had an FHV cat and used a probiotic which helped strengthened the cats immune system. I know a probiotic can help a cat absorb more of the nutrients in the food.

• Sue Brandes
        July 23, 2014 at 9:26 am (3 years ago)

Is there a probiotic that comes in a treat form? My cat knows it’s in his food and won’t eat it.

July 23, 2014 at 4:40 pm (3 years ago)

I’ll look into it, Sue. I’ll let you know if I find anything.

5. Lisa
    July 22, 2014 at 12:56 pm (3 years ago)

My little Mikey, 3.5 years old, has chronic flare-ups, always displayed in the eyes and nose. He’s improved with lysine, however, and feeding him mostly a raw diet has helped as well. His sister Molly does not have the same symptoms, her eyes and nose are always clear, however, she will pant occasionally, she had an upper respiratory infection when she was just a couple months old. Both kitties were rescued from a hoarding house, maybe that’s how they acquired FHV. 🙁 I’m not sure why he is chronically this way, we try to keep a stress free environment, I play and exercise the cats, they have all the space they need, etc, can’t figure it out……

July 23, 2014 at 12:54 am (3 years ago)

It makes sense to me that the raw diet helps keep Mikey’s immune system stronger, Lisa. There’s probably a genetic component that may explain why some cats are more susceptible to the virus than others.

6. Kitty Cat Chronicles
    July 21, 2014 at 10:54 pm (3 years ago)

We’ve seen some colds and upper respiratory infections in our household! The L-Lysine helps with that!

7. The Island Cats
    July 21, 2014 at 7:11 pm (3 years ago)

Cats can and do get colds. I had one that had laryngitis and a sore throat…he could barely squeak out a meow.

Island Cat Mom

8. Maxwell, Faraday & Allie
    July 21, 2014 at 5:12 pm (3 years ago)

Oh yes, th feline herpes. We used L-lysine for that. Wonder if it’d do humans any good with fighting off one of their colds, too…?

July 21, 2014 at 10:38 pm (3 years ago)

L-Lysine seems to work for a lot of cats who are dealing with the herpes virus.

July 21, 2014 at 9:28 am (3 years ago)

I have two that have Feline herpes virus. Charlie gets the colds from it and Garfield gets it in his eyes. Thanks for more info on colds.

July 21, 2014 at 4:28 pm (3 years ago)

It’s frustrating how that virus keeps flaring up, isn’t it, Sue?

• Sue Brandes
        July 21, 2014 at 4:51 pm (3 years ago)

Yes very much so. I did not know cats got this till my too.