Does Your Cat Suffer from Whisker Stress?

whisker_stress

Have you noticed your cat pulling food out of the bowl, throwing it next to the bowl, and then proceeding to eat it? Perhaps your cat uses her paw to “fish” food out of her food bowl? If so, then your cat is probably experiencing whisker stress.

In a recent article on Answers.com, I explained what whisker stress is, and how to prevent your cat from experiencing it. Click here to read the full article.

New Dr. Goodpet banner

13 Comments on Does Your Cat Suffer from Whisker Stress?

1. Margaret
    January 26, 2016 at 11:04 am (1 year ago)

I did know about this, but not until comparatively recently; very useful article Ingrid and I hope you’re right in that manufacturers are now catching on to the idea and making bowls much more shallow. They seem a bit slow to do so in the UK but think we’re getting there. “Our” bowls for our four cats are all shallow now and they seem very happy with them. Thank goodness. Do like some of the comments about it all. Cats do have their ways of making themselves understood don’t they and making us feel guilty about things as well!

2. Lynda Castleberry
    November 13, 2014 at 2:59 pm (3 years ago)

I never knew about whisker stress. My tortie, Jadzia Dax would always eat the food in the middle of the bowl and leave the rest unless I scooped it into the middle. I changed bowls and now she cleans up all food. I can tell she is happier. Thank you for infirmation.

3. Jobi and Fisher
    May 9, 2014 at 3:51 am (3 years ago)

What an amazing article! Our little Alice will pull a piece of food out of the bowl and eat it on the side. The food bowls are porcelain and not very deep. She doesn’t do it all the time, but we just thought it was cute. She has very big paws for a youngster. The treat bowls are also glass in the same shape but smaller and she doesn’t pull the snacks out of them. The bowls are elevated.
    I will see what she does with a saucer and if she still pulls the food off the plate. This is the first time in almost 50 years of cats that I have seen this kind of behavior. Thank you for the information.

May 9, 2014 at 5:27 am (3 years ago)

Let me know whether she still does it with a saucer, Jobi.

4. Felissa
    May 8, 2014 at 2:40 pm (3 years ago)

I’ll have to share this around. I know a ton of folks whose cats are onstantly throwing out their food and then eating it up off of the floor.

May 9, 2014 at 5:27 am (3 years ago)

Thank you for sharing, Felissa!

May 7, 2014 at 6:31 pm (3 years ago)

Never heard of this before. Interesting. Thanks for the post.

6. Greg Hall
    May 7, 2014 at 2:29 pm (3 years ago)

We have used flat, rubberized, dishwasher safe “bowls” for years. I’m amazed that large chain petstores in the US don’t carry these.

May 7, 2014 at 2:38 pm (3 years ago)

I agree, Greg, it’s very frustrating that shallow cat bowl are so hard to find at pet stores.

7. Laura k
    May 7, 2014 at 7:39 am (3 years ago)

Good to know!!! I use wide flat bowls that are also elevated for my cats, but I’ve noticed some of our shelter cats pulling their food out. We’ll have to swich bowls! Thanks!

8. Diane Ricciardi Stewart
    May 7, 2014 at 5:30 am (3 years ago)

great post!! will keep this in mind !! thanks!!

9. Dorothy
    May 7, 2014 at 5:05 am (3 years ago)

My Mistletoe not only didn’t eat out of the cute cate food bowl I bought, she stood beside it and yelled at me until I figured it out. Sometimes when I feel like I’m getting yelled at I don’t know why. That time I had no doubt what I was getting read the riot act about. So, from then on, I use a saucer or sandwich plate for every kitty meal.

May 7, 2014 at 2:37 pm (3 years ago)

Boy, did she tell you, Dorothy! She has you well trained. 😉