Conscious Cat

March 24, 2014 7 Comments

Animal Medical Center Offers Reiki Treatments

Posted by Ingrid

Reiki cat energy healing

Reiki, an energy therapy that originated in Japan, is is based on the idea that all living beings have life energy flowing through them. When life energy is high, you and your cats are healthy and balanced, more relaxed and less likely to get sick. When it is low, you and your cats will often be more easily affected by stress and less resistant to illness. Reiki helps return the body to its natural state of balance and well-being. It is a safe complement to conventional Western medicine, Chinese medicine, herbal medicine, homeopathy and all other forms of healing.

Reiki at Animal Medical Center

Most major human cancer centers and hospitals have been offering Reiki as part of their alternative or integrative medicine offerings for quite some time, including Sloan-Kettering in New York and MD Anderson in Texas. I was delighted when I recently found out that the Animal Medical Center in New York is offering Reiki to its furry patients.

Animal Medical Center is is a non-profit veterinary center that has been a national leader in animal care for more than 100 years. As an academic veterinary hospital, the AMC promotes the health and well-being of companion animals through advanced treatment, research and education. Nearly 100 veterinarians utilize an interdisciplinary team approach combining expertise in more than 25 specialties and services to care for pets 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

The Complimentary and Alternative Medicine Service offers therapies are not meant to replace conventional therapies, but work in concert with a pet’s current medical treatment. In addition to Reiki, AMC also offers acupuncture, physical rehabilitation, and stem cell therapy.

I had a chance to speak with Deana Cappuchi, a Licensed Veterinary Technician, Certified Canine Rehabilitation Assistant, Certified Canine Massage Practitioner and Reiki Practitioner at the AMC. Deana explained that Reiki is offered as an adjunct therapy for pets who are at AMC for surgery or cancer treatments. Reiki can also be incorporated into acupuncture treatments. “We try to keep things positive for our patients,” said Deana. “Reiki helps calm them.”

Benefits of Reiki

Reiki offers numerous benefits for both pets and people. It can help with minor things like head aches or stomach aches, colds, flu, tension and anxiety as well as serious illness like cancer and heart disease. It can reduce or eliminate side effects of conventional medical treatment, including the negative effects of chemotherapy and radiation. It can strengthen the immune system and accelerate natural healing following surgery or illness. It can alleviate pain, both acute and chronic.

Cats are naturally receptive to the Reiki energy and tend to gravitate toward it readily.  Although it may be a little far-fetched, some people even say cats invented Reiki.  Cats are sensitive to energy in general, and because of this, they are ideal recipients for any kind of energy therapy, including Reiki.

As a Reiki Master Practitioner who works primarily with cats (although I also work with dogs and humans,) I’m delighted to see Reiki offered at a major veterinary center. I hope it’s the beginning of a nationwide trend. Most cats get stressed when they have to go to the vet’s, and Reiki is a simple way to calm them. I’d like to seemore veterinary clinics follow AMC’s lead and include Reiki in their service offering.

For more information about the Animal Medical Center, please visit www.amcny.org. For more information about Reiki, please visit my Healing Hands website.

Photo: Flickr Creative Commons

Stress Stopper banner for posts

FacebookTwitterGoogle+LinkedInPinterestShare

7 comments to “Animal Medical Center Offers Reiki Treatments”

1. Viki Worden says:

This is great news! I am for anything that helps animals. I think Reiki would benefit my one cat Meeko and also myself. I am, as they say, “always wound too tight”. I will have to check and see if there is anywhere in my area that isn’t too costly. I can’t even take Meeko to the vet unless it is serious due to his anxiety. He practically is uncontrollable.

Thank you for the information. I am also going to visit your Healing Hands website.

2. Viki Worden says:

I just visited the Healing Hands website. It is impressive. I signed up for the newsletter. I read the information on the remote healing. I may be contacting you in the future to set up something. I need to get my finances in order first. I would love it if it could help Meeko.

3. Sue Brandes says:

I like that they are finding new ways to help animals. I never knew you did this Ingrid. So wonderful. Your site is very nice. I will looking at it a bit more.

4. Gail says:

Ingrid, I remember reading that you performed Reiki treatments. I’d like to share an experience with you that I had several years ago with one of my cats, if I may.

Jenny somehow injured herself and ended up with an open wound about the size of a quarter on her shoulder. It wasn’t deep, and I was able to clean it and treat it, and I assumed that it would gradually heal.

I don’t know if it was because she was constantly moving around or for some other reason, but several days passed with no progress in healing whatsoever. Around this time, I had been reading about Reiki, and although I had never gotten any training I figured I had nothing to lose by trying it myself, concentrating on directing healing energy to her from me, with the thought that I would definitely call the vet in the morning if it didn’t work.

Much to my surprise, the morning after I did my “makeshift” Reiki treatment, the wound had closed by half, and by that evening, it had healed completely.

I can imagine the amount of good that could be done by someone like yourself who has actually been trained in the technique, and I applaud you for doing so.

Oh, as an afterthought–I also tried projecting energy towards my horse when he seemed out of sorts, but he always seemed to be too sensitive to tolerate it. Have you found this to be true with some animals?

• Ingrid says:

What a wonderful Reiki success story, Gail. In all the years I’ve worked with animals, I’ve rarely come across one who didn’t accept the Reiki energy, but just like with humans, some animals are more sensitive to energy than others. It’s important to honor that and not force things.

• Gail says:

The cats have all seemed to love it whenever I’ve had occasion to practice on them. The horses, however, don’t seem too comfortable with it, but I’m not sure why. Perhaps because, being prey animals, they are much more attuned to various stimuli and it feels too intense?

Several of my horses seemed to enjoy it for a short time before they walked away, but one would turn and give me a dirty look right from the start and move off immediately.