Global Pet Expo 2014 Highlights

giant kitten

I spent Wednesday through Friday in Orlando, FL, at the Global Pet Expo. This is the largest trade show of pet products anywhere in the world. There were close to 1,000 exhibitors in almost 3,000 booth in the Orange County Convention Center.

In the coming days and weeks, I’ll be bringing you lots of cool information about some of the amazing products I saw there, including my choice of best new cat product. Today, I’m sharing some of the highlights of my personal experience with you.

There were two product lines I had been most curious about: The Jackson Galaxy Collection of cat toys developed by Jackson in partnership with Petmate, and the Kathy Ireland Loved Ones pet product collection. I’ll be sharing more details about both collections in a future post. Here’s a sneak peek at The Jackson Galaxy Collection:

Jackson_Galaxy_Petmate

Kathy Ireland was at the expo to personally introduce her collection, and meeting this former supermodel turned entrepreneur was one of the highlights of the expo for me. In addition to being stunningly beautiful, she was incredibly gracious and friendly. She was the featured speaker at a breakfast for women in the pet industry, where she shared experiences from her personal journey from model to creating a multi-billion dollar enterprise.

IMG_6718

Walking around the massive show floor, I felt like the proverbial kind in a candy store. It was hard to know where to look first! There were so many fabulous cat products, ranging from scratchers to modular cat trees and play systems to new lines of food and treats.  And boy did I walk a lot! According to expo organizers, if you walked past all the booths in the massive show hall, it was a 4 mile walk – and it felt like I did that multiple times all three days.

Global_Pet_Expo

I also had a chance to catch up with old friends and make new ones – always the best part of any pet related gathering.  I even ran into a very unexpected guest:

Global_Pet_Expo

There were even some real cats in attendance. The Hagen company had a litter of eight-week-old kittens from a local humane society at their booth – and three of them were torties! As you can imagine, I made frequent stops there for a cat fix. Petting these precious babies helped me miss my girls a little less. All of the kittens were adopted before the end of the expo.

tortoiseshell_kittens

Stay tuned for more coverage of the expo as I sort through the massive amounts of material I brought with me.

Conscious Cat Sunday will return next week.

10 Comments on Global Pet Expo 2014 Highlights

1. Susan
    March 7, 2015 at 12:32 pm (3 years ago)

Ingrid, it was so nice to meet you at the Pet Expo. Thank you so much for recognizing Ting’s stress and helping out with her. We both appreciate it. If you are ever back in Orlando, come by Pet Alliance for a visit!

2. Viki Worden
    March 20, 2014 at 10:31 am (4 years ago)

It sounds like you had an awesome time! I wish I was there with you! I wouldn’t have wanted to leave. I can’t wait to see more news from you on these products! They look great from the pictures. I will be looking forward to seeing what I may possibly be able to get for my kitties.

Thank you for sharing!

March 16, 2014 at 7:25 pm (4 years ago)

That looks wonderful. I was eyeing up the Jackson toys too. Thanks for sharing with us.

4. Sometimes, Cats Herd You
    March 16, 2014 at 3:27 pm (4 years ago)

It was great meeting you at the show, Ingrid! Like you, I’m still sorting out everything I saw and collected at the show, and it will be showing up in upcoming blog posts.

5. Caren Gittleman
    March 16, 2014 at 3:18 pm (4 years ago)

Absolutely LOVE this “sneak peek!!!” Jackson Galaxy’s line looks just as amazing as I would expect it to!!! Can’t wait for more!

6. Deb Barnes - Zee and Zoey
    March 16, 2014 at 12:42 pm (4 years ago)

So great hanging out with you Ingrid! It was a blast sharing some of the 4 mile walk with you and I especially enjoyed our time at the Purina reception. Just like you, it will take weeks to get through the mountains of stuff we saw and I look forward to your posts!

7. toni / rctees
    March 16, 2014 at 9:00 am (4 years ago)

Sounds like you had a really nice time. I love that Jackson now has his own cat toy line. So totally cool for him…and the cats. Mini guitar case….I’m in love♥ Will you be disclosing where they can be purchased in your future posts?

March 16, 2014 at 9:03 am (4 years ago)

Stay tuned for more on the toys tomorrow or Tuesday, Toni.

8. Rachel
    March 16, 2014 at 7:26 am (4 years ago)

I can’t wait to see what you saw there. It seems this is the only site I frequent that even mentioned the Pet Expo, let alone went!

That Jackson Galaxy stuff looks interesting but I hope it’s more budget friendly then his essences stuff. Eep.

March 16, 2014 at 9:04 am (4 years ago)

There’s something for every budget in this new line, Rachel.