Fascinating Facts About Cat Paws

cat_paws

A cat’s paws are not just for standing, walking and jumping, the cat’s unique anatomy also makes her paws a tool to support her predatory nature.

Did you know that cats walk on their toes? That their paws contain scent glands that allow them to mark their territory? Or that a cat’s paw has such a unique “pawprint” that it can unlock the fingerprint sensor on the iPhone 5S?

For more fascinating facts about cat paws, please read my article on Answers.com.

8 Comments on Fascinating Facts About Cat Paws

December 30, 2013 at 6:58 pm (4 years ago)

Very interesting. I knew some but; also learned something new. I have one kitty that is very sensitive to having his paws touched. Doesn’t like it. My others love it when we touch paws.

2. Bernie
    December 30, 2013 at 4:51 pm (4 years ago)

I’ll be darned. Learn something every day.

3. Bernadette
    December 30, 2013 at 2:26 pm (4 years ago)

We have scent glands on our paws too–imagine what the floor must smell like to a cat! Do you have an iPhone 5S and did they unlock it?! Mewsette used her paws to take a few selfies with the front camera on my Samsung Note 3.

December 30, 2013 at 3:21 pm (4 years ago)

I don’t have an iPhone, Bernadette (I read about this feline feat on Mashable) but Ruby is becoming quite proficient with the iPad!

4. Mason Canyon
    December 30, 2013 at 11:30 am (4 years ago)

What an interesting post. Never knew this about cat paws. Always good to learn more. Wishing you and the girls a very safe and Happy New Year.

December 30, 2013 at 3:20 pm (4 years ago)

Happy New Year to you, too, Mason!

5. Viki Worden
    December 30, 2013 at 11:03 am (4 years ago)

This is a nice post. I knew most of the information, however some things I didn’t know and found them very informative. I never realized they have scent glands between their toes. It makes sense now when I see my kitties scratching their posts and flat scratchers after one another. Only one of my kitties, my youngest, will use his paws to touch me. When he is laying on me he will look up backwards and stretch his paw up and move it across my arm. The rest usually rub me with their heads, which I know they have the scent glands in the sides of their mouth.

December 30, 2013 at 3:20 pm (4 years ago)

That’s so sweet that your youngest rubs your arm with his paw, Viki!