Katzenzungen: A Unique Candy for Cat Lovers

Katzenzungen

Katzenzungen is the German word for “cat’s tongues.” I hadn’t thought about this candy in decades, and then a couple of weeks ago, I saw a post on Catsparella titled “Cat Got Your Katzenzungen Cat Tongue Chocolates?” I was instantly transported back to my childhood in Germany.

As a child, this was my favorite candy, and it wasn’t because of what it tasted like. The candy itself is really not all that exciting: it’s just really good German milk chocolate, in the shape of a cat’s tongue – well, sort of shaped like a cat’s tongue, anyway. No, it was the box that it came in that I loved, and as a child I would collect the boxes and use them as keepsakes. This was long before I ever had a cat in my life (as some of you know, I didn’t get my first cat until I was in my twenties), and now I can’t help but wonder whether these beautifully packaged chocolates contributed to the beginning of my love affair with cats.

After all, what’s sweeter than sharing your life with cats?

40  years ago, Katzenzungen were only available in milk chocolate, but today, they’re also available in dark chocolate and in a marbled version of white and milk chocolate. You can sometimes find them at stores like World Market, or at my go to online store for German foods, Germandeli.com.

15 Comments on Katzenzungen: A Unique Candy for Cat Lovers

1. Ulrike
    October 9, 2013 at 7:14 pm (2 years ago)

Liebe Ingrid,
    das hat mich jetzt total in meine Kindheit zurueckversetzt!!! Die Katzenzungen haben zwar gut geschmeckt, aber das Bild mit den suessen Kaetzchen war doch die eigentliche Verlockung. Zudem waren sie auch perfekt fuer meinen Kaufladen…tolle Erinnerungen – Danke!!!
    Viele Gruesse,
    Uli

October 9, 2013 at 7:58 pm (2 years ago)

Das freut mich, dass der post Schoenberg Erinnerungen brachte, Uli!

2. Cathy Keisha
    October 8, 2013 at 10:49 pm (2 years ago)

German chocolate—TW is drooling all over me. Yuck! Have you ever heard of Rescue Chocolates in NY? Part of the proceeds go to rescue organizations.

October 8, 2013 at 3:35 pm (2 years ago)

I had never heard of this kind of candy. Sounds yummy.

4. Glogirly and Katie
    October 8, 2013 at 12:05 pm (2 years ago)

How adorable!!! This reminds me of the Whitman boxed chocolates from when I was a kid. I saved the boxes, especially the little 4-pack ones, and used them as home accessories for my Barbies. ; )

Thanks for stopping by with your well wishes! I’m feeling better already.

xo
    GG

October 8, 2013 at 5:41 pm (2 years ago)

I’m so glad you’re on the mend, Debbie!

5. Texas
    October 8, 2013 at 9:21 am (2 years ago)

The box is beautiful! I know my human would have bought it just for the box too 😉
    Purrs

6. Deborah Julian Cat Art
    October 8, 2013 at 9:12 am (2 years ago)

Ingrid, I’ve seen these chocolates at an international market. I’ve admired the boxes– I’m always attracted to anything with cats on it– but have never purchased. Maybe I’ll treat myself to a box!

October 8, 2013 at 5:40 pm (2 years ago)

Let me know what you think of the chocolates, Debbie. I know you’ll make good use of the box :-).

7. Caren Gittleman
    October 8, 2013 at 9:08 am (2 years ago)

I’m having trouble getting past “cat tongues”
    xoxoxo

October 8, 2013 at 5:41 pm (2 years ago)

LOL Caren!

8. Cynthia Southern
    October 8, 2013 at 1:35 am (2 years ago)

Ingrid, I am a fan of German cuisine and chocolate. The local German restaurant near me sells Katenzungen. I have been buying them for years and bought some recently. I bought the chocolate covered Marzipan Katenzungen. Thanks for bringing up two things I love, German chocolate and cats. :)