Iams Recalls Multiple Lots of Dry Cat Food

iams_recall_2013

The Procter & Gamble Company (P&G) has  recalled specific lots of dry pet food due to possible salmonella contamination. These products were distributed to retailers in the United States.

The following products and lot numbers are affected:

iams_recall_2013

Pets with Salmonella infections may be lethargic and have diarrhea or bloody diarrhea, fever, and vomiting. Some pets will have only decreased appetite, fever and abdominal pain. Infected but otherwise healthy pets can be carriers and infect other animals or humans. If your pet has consumed the recalled product and has these symptoms, please contact your veterinarian.

Healthy people infected with Salmonella should monitor themselves for some or all of the following symptoms: nausea, vomiting, diarrhea or bloody diarrhea, abdominal cramping and fever. Rarely, Salmonella can result in more serious ailments, including arterial infections, endocarditis, arthritis, muscle pain, eye irritation, and urinary tract symptoms. Consumers exhibiting these signs after having contact with this product should contact their healthcare providers.

Consumers who purchased a product listed below should stop using the product and discard it and contact P&G toll-free at 800-208-0172 (Monday – Friday, 9 AM to 6 PM ET). You can find more information about the recall on the IAMS website.

Please note that this recall also includes multiple lots of dry IAMS and Eukanuba dog foods. For a list of affected products, visit the IAMS website.

7 Comments on Iams Recalls Multiple Lots of Dry Cat Food

August 16, 2013 at 11:41 am (4 years ago)

Wow so many recalls lately. Thanks for the info.

2. Beth Fisher
    August 15, 2013 at 10:43 pm (4 years ago)

Is there any information on where in the country these particular batches were distributed? I empty our kitty food into a covered bin and don’t keep the bags to check lot numbers.

August 16, 2013 at 7:49 am (4 years ago)

You’re going to have to check with IAMS on this, Beth – I don’t have that information. Since you can’t be sure about whether your food is affected, I’d get rid of it.

3. Joan
    August 15, 2013 at 12:43 pm (4 years ago)

I called IAMS to see if our cat food has been recalled….I’ve been on hold for 15 minutes so far just trying to connect to a pet professional. While I’m on hold, I’m being assured that they are SO glad I called and my call is very important to them and a pet professional will be with me shortly….it’s now 20 minutes. 🙂 This isn’t even my cat! I’m housesitting and don’t want any harm to come to this kitty. I’m thinking that email is probably a better communication medium at this time…

August 15, 2013 at 2:35 pm (4 years ago)

How frustrating, Joan! You’d think that they would know to plan for a heavy call volume. I hope the kitty you’re taking care of will be okay.

4. Maxwell, Faraday & Allie
    August 15, 2013 at 11:45 am (4 years ago)

Holy CAT. Again with the recalls and salmonella. (And people think *we’re* living life dangerously by eating raw. MOL!)

Seriously, it’s become a bit alarming to see so many recalls within the past year on dry food. To our recollection, we’ve only seen one for canned food, and that looked like it had to do with an error in the can sealer-machine-thingy (very technical term, that).

August 15, 2013 at 12:36 pm (4 years ago)

It is disturbing that all the recalls have been for dry food – and you know I’m with you on the “living dangerously” comment! I believe the canned food recall was for a lack of a B vitamin, but we may be thinking of different recalls. Sadly, it’s hard to keep the straight anymore.