Why Does My Cat Not Cover Her Poop?

Most cats deposit their pee and poop in the litter box, cover it up, and they’re done. So why do some cats refuse to cover their poop?

There are a few different theories. The first step, as with any change in your cat’s behavior, is always to rule out a medical problem. This is especially important if your cat has previously buried her disposals, and all of a sudden stops doing so. If a cat experiences pain or discomfort during defecation, it could explain her desire to get away from the litter box as soon as possible. Painful or uncomfortable defecation could be the result of constipation, a blockage in the colon, or even a urinary tract problem.

If there are no medical issues, the problem may be behavioral.

In the wild, cats cover their stool to hide their trail so predators can’t track them. One theory as to why cats don’t cover is that indoor cats have figured out that this need no longer exists.

Another theory is that not covering their stool is the result of “bad parenting,” or no parenting. Some kittens just never learn to cover their waste.

Some experts believe that not covering waste makes a territorial statement. In a recent Vetstreet article, Dr. Katherine Houpt, a certified applied animal behaviorist at Animal Behavior Consultants of Northern Michigan, explains that cats prefer to eliminate in their own territory, noting that even an indoor cat who’s lived in the same place for a long period of time still may not feel as though the home is truly her territory. “The smell lets other cats know ‘I’m here,.’ ” says Dr. Houpt.

The litter box itself may be an issue. If a cat doesn’t like the location of the box, or the type of litter used, not covering may be her way of getting in and out of the box as quickly as possible.

Amber was the only one of my cats who didn’t cover her litter. As far as litter box problems go, I consider this one a non issue – as long as the stool is deposited inside the box, it’s no big deal for cat guardians to quickly cover it up, or better yet, scoop it and dispose of it. If you have a cat who doesn’t cover and you want to try to change the behavior, you can experiment with adding additional litter boxes – some cats prefer a separate box for their urine and stool deposits – as well as different types of litter.

However, a word of caution: don’t fix something that isn’t broken. Most cats don’t like change, and if not covering their poop is your only litter box problem, you may just want to leave well enough alone, rather than risking creating a whole new set of worse problems.

Do you have a cat who doesn’t cover her poop? How do you handle it?

Related reading:

How to Prevent Litter Box Problems

Photo by Tom Thai, Flickr Creative Commons. Editor’s note: while I think this photo is adorable, I generally do not recommend covered litter boxes.

125 Comments on Why Does My Cat Not Cover Her Poop?

1. Ashley
    September 30, 2015 at 3:51 pm (2 months ago)

My cat is about a year old, we adopted him from a shelter a few months ago where he had lived for just about his whole life. He won’t cover his poop and it smells awful! He also has a problem where he will miss the litter box and go on the floor next to his box. Help!

2. Lindsey
    March 24, 2015 at 10:06 pm (8 months ago)

We adopted a kitten a couple months ago and she has never covered her own waste. We’re going to try different litter, but at this point I’m just hoping our older cat will start burying it for the kitten (like she did for our old geriatric cat).

3. tainy8lo
    February 20, 2015 at 8:43 pm (9 months ago)

My cat tries to cover it but she scratches/pats the plastic of the litter box instead. I dont know if she can’t see or what.

• ctr
      May 28, 2015 at 10:51 am (6 months ago)

I have two Maine Coon cats. They are brother and sister. Only the female has the problem that you speak of in your post. She scratches her paws on the inside of the litter box. Then leaves without covering up her poop. I may try adding another litter box, in hopes to fix this problem. Let’s keep each other updated.

• tobi
        June 3, 2015 at 1:15 pm (6 months ago)

One of my cats does the same thing… we call it “playing in the sandbox” because she sits there attempting to bury it for about a minute straight and never even does. Her stool also smells AWFUL. I came to this sight hoping to find suggestions but don’t see anything that might help thus far. :(

4. Faith
    February 17, 2015 at 9:46 pm (9 months ago)

My cat is a tiger kitten when I got her she was already litter trained and She stayed that way for two years. After that she wouldn’t cover her pee or poop but she would scratch the floor or the sides of the litter box and not get the litter itself. My dad tryed to reteach her how to cover it up by taking her paw and making her cover her mess. My cat still hasn’t covered her mess and in one month she turns three. Please help me! My dad may throw her OUTSIDE

February 18, 2015 at 7:20 am (9 months ago)

If you haven’t already ruled out a medical problem, you need to take your cat to a veterinarian, Faith. I don’t usually recommend covered litter boxes, but in your case, it may be worth a try. You can also try different litters. If you do that, I would put a second box next to the one you have and fill one with the new litter and leave the old litter in the other one.

5. Sharon
    January 2, 2015 at 10:42 pm (11 months ago)

My cat will not cover her poo. I live in a studio apartment and it stinks! ugh

6. BB
    December 7, 2014 at 4:08 pm (12 months ago)

Well, my cat is a little different than most – she’s a munchkin breed. I’ve been chalking that up to her litter box problem of not covering her waste, because she doesn’t always bolt out of the box. She stands on the edge, and claws all around like she’s covering her waste. Which means.. claws on plastic. Sometimes for a few minutes! Which, in the middle of the night, can be annoying as it constantly wakes me up. I use the largest box possible, and can’t even keep the swinging lid on it (she seems to not understand how that works, and refuses to use the box with it on) so I am stumped. I’ve even tried not having a lid at all, but she still claws the edge of the box, rather than the litter itself. Yet (yesss) she will cover properly when outside. And she was about 8 years old, when she first got to do that. I’ve kept her strictly indoors, with an occasion backyard outing the past 2-3 years.

She is about 10 years old now, I’ve had her for 8. A nine-pound munchkin siamese (aptly) named Butterball.

Any suggestions on if this is a fixable bad habit? I will definitely look into a new raw diet as posted above, to cut down the smell at least.

7. LuLu
    November 5, 2014 at 3:29 am (1 year ago)

So my cat (1 years old) doesn’t poop his litter box at all but he pees and covers it. I feed him approximately 2-3 times a day and he drinks regularly, and he only poops outside. I don’t understand why he is doing this, the vet said there was no problems with his bowel system but he almost refuses his litter box unless he needs to pee. Any advise????

8. Jackie
    November 3, 2014 at 10:41 pm (1 year ago)

my cat is 17 and for the last 6 months just pees in the litter box then walks through it and throughout the day the pee just pools at the front of the litter, so I constantly have white paw marks all over my house why ?

November 4, 2014 at 6:42 am (1 year ago)

Take your cat to the veterinarian, Jackie. Any change in litter box behavior can be an indicator of a medical problem.

9. Tommy
    August 20, 2014 at 6:13 pm (1 year ago)

My cat doesn’t cover her poop at all, I wouldn’t mind so much but her poop smells really, really bad. She eats Iams biscuits.
    The smell is so bad it can wake me up from my sleep when it drifts in from the bathroom.

August 20, 2014 at 6:15 pm (1 year ago)

Switch your cat to a grain-free canned or raw diet. You will be surprised at the change in her stool. The stool of cats who are fed a raw diet barely smells at all.

• Tommy
        August 26, 2014 at 3:28 am (1 year ago)

Ingrid you genius! Her poo had never smelt better and she’s covering up! Thank you.

August 26, 2014 at 6:37 am (1 year ago)

I’m so glad it worked!

• Maha
          November 16, 2014 at 9:47 am (1 year ago)

Hi can I know what did you switch your cat to. I don’t know what raw diet is. I’ve been using royal Canin sensitivity control because my cat throws up from anything else. If you don’t mind sharing what you feed ur cat, might help me with the smell issue. My cat just started to not cover his pee, still covers the Poop but still smells

• Tommy
            November 16, 2014 at 6:30 pm (1 year ago)

Hi Maha

I bought Hills Science Diet Adult Grain-Free for my car and it instantly stopped the smell and soft stools.

November 16, 2014 at 6:43 pm (1 year ago)

I do not recommend any of the Hill’s diets. These diets contain by-products and fillers that are not bio-appropriate for an obligate carnivore.

• whisperingsage
            December 19, 2014 at 6:12 pm (11 months ago)

In response to Tommy
            Agreed- Science diet is corn based and costs a mint for corn based. We feed lamb and rice dog food actually so the dog don’t crave cat food because they are all getting a good high pro meat based food. In addition we feed raw livers and raw organs when we slaughter (we are a small hobby farm). Raw livers are like giving them a regular vitamin Pill.

10. Molly
    July 11, 2014 at 9:33 pm (1 year ago)

I just don’t understand why my cat does not cover his poop when he uses the litter bix, but when he is outside, he goes on & on & on & on burying it.
    When he poops in the litter box, immediately afterwards he just bolts, like the devil himself is after him.

• De De
      July 12, 2014 at 11:57 am (1 year ago)

It could be a few things. (1) A show of dominance. But it sounds like (2) your kitty hates the scent or texture of his litter. Could it be that covering things in the litter box kicks up tons of perfumes or dust? Have you tried changing litters? Recently, Jackson Galaxy put like five boxes down with five different types of litter in one person’s home. The kitty picked which one it liked by using it the most. Another thought is (3) he may not feel safe in the litter box. Is it located near a window, where things (real or imagined) can move by it? Is it someplace in a high traffic area and he can be startled? Maybe you have one more than one kitty, and you need more than one box?

11. JJ
    May 1, 2014 at 5:57 am (2 years ago)

I have had my ragdoll for more than seven years. Two months ago, I got a Persian kitten. My cat did not take to him very well, but now she plays with him at times. I have noticed that my cat for a while now, has not been covering her stool in the litre tray at night. The stool looks healthy and my cat eats well, but I am wondering could the behaviour be something else.

May 1, 2014 at 8:20 am (2 years ago)

Your cat may be marking her territory by not covering her stool, JJ. Do you have more than one litter box? With two cats, you should have at least two litter box, ideally, you should have three (the rule of thumb is the number of cats plus one).

12. holly Golightly
    April 19, 2014 at 11:42 am (2 years ago)

I didn’t know it was a problem- I just thought Prince Pangur was proud of his achievement and wanted his artwork viewed.

13. Marty
    April 18, 2014 at 1:18 pm (2 years ago)

Stick ups or any scent device is sufficient in our home until one of the other cats decides to bury it !!

14. Elines Acevedo
    December 31, 2013 at 1:46 pm (2 years ago)

My girl Romy doesnt do a very good job covering her poo with litter. She really tries but, instead of moving the litter from inside the box she tries to dig from outside the box. Sometimes she will even bring small towels or objects and bring them into the box to cover her poop. At first i thought that she needed a bigger box so we got her one that was big enough for her to turn around and stretch in every direction and with higher walls, didnt help. Then we got her a closed box. Wont use it. Ah well, now we just try not to leave anything thrown around that she might drag into the litter box and we try to scoop asap.

• elena
      January 8, 2015 at 5:41 am (11 months ago)

Hi My Belinda does exactly the same than Romy and I have tried also same changes than you did. She tries hard but never covers her wastes even she trays with what ever she can find around, papers, rugs but without avail. Luckily I’m at home most of the time and as son as hear her leaving the box I run and clean it up…what a pain… I don’t know her ‘backgrounds’ because she ‘adopted me’ years ago. I was then leaving in a place where she could go out during the day but I always had a box indoor for nights and raining days. Well, she has never cover hers waste but she used to cover her food whit towels…papers…etc. once she didn’t want any more…what a estrange creature! still, I love her…She is a cat!!! after all

15. Joanna
    December 31, 2013 at 4:11 am (2 years ago)

Wonder if its the name.. Only kitty I’ve ever had that didn’t cover is also named “Amber”.. and she’s almost 23 now..

Like you said, as long as its in the box (and it always is), doesn’t really matter.

16. Kim
    October 24, 2013 at 11:43 am (2 years ago)

I have 2 cats. Mr Boots and Ms Puss. 4 and 6 yrs old. Both are rescue cats. Puss is special needs. Boots tends to be somewhat of a bully so I think he doesn’t cover his waste up just because hes making a statement that he is the “top dog” in this house!