Celebrate “less adoptable” cats this week

Less_Adoptable_Pet_Week

Black cats. FIV+ cats. Senior cats. Special needs cats.  These are just some of the factors that can make a cat seem ”less adoptable.” To promote these special cats (and dogs, too), Petfinder has designated September 17 – 23 as “Adopt-A-Less-Adoptable-Pet Week.” I actually don’t like the term “less adoptable” at all, which is why I put it in quotes – I prefer to think of these cats as extra special.

The statistics are sobering: according to Petfinder, these “less-adoptable” cats are likely to spend nearly four times longer than the average pet waiting for a home. As anyone who has ever lived with a special needs cat knows, these wonderful cats make some of the most loving and wonderful companions. Today, I’d like to introduce you to a few of them that are looking for their forever homes.

How can you  help these cats find a home? If you’re looking for a feline family member, consider opening your heart and home to one of these  extra special cats. You won’t regret it. If you’re not ready to adopt right now, there are other ways you can help:

• Educate others about the joys and rewards of adopting an older cat, or a cat with special needs.
  • Donate your Facebook status to a “less adoptable” cat this week. Share information about special needs cats who are looking for their forever homes.
  • Volunteer at your local shelter and make a point to spend extra time with cats who have been at the shelter for a long time.

I’d like to introduce you to some cats who fall into the “less adoptable” category for various reasons. All of them are looking for their forever home – maybe it could be yours?

Kirsten is approximately 8 years old. She is  total love bug and loves to sit on laps. Anybody sitting down is fair game in her book! Even though she’s considered a senior, she has a lot of energy that she likes to use up by playing with toys, balls and anything else you want to dangle in front of her. Kirsten has been through seven different foster homes due to family allergies, vacations and other reasons that were never her fault, and she would really like to find a permanent home. Kirsten is being fostered through Lost Dog and Cat Rescue Foundation in Northern Virginia.

Libra (also known affectionately as Lee), is a low maintenance, non demanding senior kitty who is looking for the purrfect home. He is very laid back and has the most gentle temperament. He loves to be petted, especially on his ears, chin, and boy does he love head rubs. He loves to play with toys on a wand and would really like to spend his cuddle time with you! He does the sweetest somersault onto the ground when you rub his back. Libra is available for adoption in Anchorage, Alaska throught the Alaska ASPCA.

Muffy and Ziggy are two senior tortie girls. They are 10 years old, small, healthy, and well-mannered lap kitties They purr and make biscuits like crazy. Muffy is a little powder puff and gives a great back massage.  Ziggy only dreams of being loved. They are being fostered through Fancy Cats Rescue Team in Northern Virginia.

Tiffee

Tiffee has two strikes against her when it comes to being chosen: she’s a senior, and she’s black. This sweet girl believes she is the absolute queen of the house and does not want any other felines in her castle. She would be best as an only cat. She is very affectionate, about 8 years old, and in very good health. Her previous home had children that were a bit more than Tiffee appreciated. Tiffee is available for adoption through H.O.P.E. Safehouse, Inc. in Racine, WI.

24 Comments on Celebrate “less adoptable” cats this week

1. Pam
    September 19, 2012 at 12:10 pm (5 years ago)

When I saw the term “less adoptable” I thought it meant these cats had serious on-going health problems. But no, they are just older. That’s all!

Hard for me to imagine anyone not wanting such lovely, easy animals. I love, love, love my older animals.

A few years ago I added two puppies to my household. So I have my 13 YO cat, my 10.5 YO dog, and two 3.5 YO dogs.

I love them all deeply, but I’m quite sure that I’ll be focusing on older animals when I adopt in the future. They are the BEST!

• Charles Huss
      September 19, 2012 at 6:20 pm (5 years ago)

I believe I read in the book “Homer’s Oddesy,” by Gwen Cooper, that she adopted an older pet because she wanted to give him a place where he could be happy during the little time he had left. I thought that was a great thing to do.

September 19, 2012 at 6:35 pm (5 years ago)

Actually, Gwen adopted Homer as a kitten, but since he was blind, he certainly would have been considered “less adoptable.” She saved his life, and at age 15, he’s still going strong!

• Charles Huss
          September 19, 2012 at 9:04 pm (5 years ago)

I was referring to another pet she had before Homer, possibly a dog. I can’t remember. I actually could have the book wrong too.

• Charles Huss
          September 20, 2012 at 6:29 am (5 years ago)

I just remembered I was thinking about a different book called “Scent of the missing” by Susannah Charleson, but Homer was a great example of a “less adoptable” pet.

2. Dogs&Cats
    September 19, 2012 at 1:08 am (5 years ago)

I agree with you about the “less adoptable” term. I don’t thinks it’s a good term. The stories are so touching I call people to open their heart and give them a home.

3. Cynthia Southern
    September 18, 2012 at 1:11 am (5 years ago)

Thanks for letting us know about these special kitties. I think the less adoptable kitties are always the better choice, they get a loving home and we get a fur child who loves us unconditionally, especially when we make this kind of commitment. I know you made this kind of commitment to Buckley and she became the inspiration for your book. Thanks for doing that.

September 18, 2012 at 6:38 am (5 years ago)

You’re right, Cynthia, Buckley was one of those “less adoptable” cats. I never think of her that way unless reminded, because her disability was such a non-issue for her!

4. Chuck Huss
    September 17, 2012 at 7:48 pm (5 years ago)

Just adopted a black cat two days ago. He is my second black cat (the first passed away). I think people should know that every cat has a unique personality and most make great pets, no matter what color they are or what their handicap is.

My sister-in-law works for a vet and has rescued several “unwanted” cats and I really enjoy visiting her because these cats are so friendly.

September 18, 2012 at 6:25 am (5 years ago)

Congratulations on your new family member, Chuck!

5. Esme
    September 17, 2012 at 5:26 pm (5 years ago)

I always thought that I wanted a kitten-my babies were 9 mos old when we adopted them. They are now three and such a delight. People just do not realize that cats are still playful and loving as they get older. If little sunshine was not such a Queen I would consider another cat. I am not sure she would be up for that. Her brother reminds me of Klaus and Oskar-just easy going.

September 17, 2012 at 7:33 pm (5 years ago)

From what I know about Penelope, I think you’re probably right, Esme – better not rock the boat!

6. catherine turley
    September 17, 2012 at 1:52 pm (5 years ago)

i’m begging people in florida to check out puffy paws kitty haven. they have 200 special needs cats and very few adoptions. plus, they barely get by day to day. right now, florida power and lights is threatening to turn off electricity. they have high bills because it is a brick building and temperature control is crucial for some of the more frail cats.

7. Marg
    September 17, 2012 at 12:11 pm (5 years ago)

This is so important to get the word out. We are going to do this too. The more the merrier. Sure glad you did these kitties and hoping they find great homes. Maybe if we talk about the older, black, FIV cats, more people will get interested. Thanks Ingrid.

September 17, 2012 at 1:50 pm (5 years ago)

Thanks for getting the word out, too, Marg. I’m sure it makes a difference.

8. Bernadette
    September 17, 2012 at 11:51 am (5 years ago)

We prefer to think of ourselves as “extra special” as well! ~Mimi and the Fantastic Four

9. Chris Davis
    September 17, 2012 at 11:13 am (5 years ago)

Such beautiful furballs! My 14 year old black kitty, Star, thinks Tiffee is especially fabulous!

September 17, 2012 at 1:50 pm (5 years ago)

Black kitties rock!

10. Texas, a cat in New York
    September 17, 2012 at 10:03 am (5 years ago)

I hope they can find furrever homes! They look all so adorable!
    I’m sharing!
    Purrs

September 17, 2012 at 1:49 pm (5 years ago)

Thanks for sharing, Texas!

11. Caren Gittleman
    September 17, 2012 at 10:00 am (5 years ago)

we’ll be celebrating too! (tomorrow)…I am partial to Libra…because I am one 🙂

September 17, 2012 at 1:49 pm (5 years ago)

Libra looks like a gorgeous boy, doesn’t he, Caren?

12. Fisher
    September 17, 2012 at 9:13 am (5 years ago)

They definitely are extra special! I hope they all find great homes.

September 17, 2012 at 1:49 pm (5 years ago)

Me, too, Fisher.