Conscious Cat

August 6, 2012 74 Comments

How to Keep Your Cat from Waking You Up

Posted by Ingrid

cat_in_bed

Do your cats wake you at the crack of dawn? Are they keeping you from getting a good night’s sleep? As much as we love our feline family members, most of us would prefer to not have that love expressed by a pounce on our chest at 4am.

The first step in changing this behavior is understanding why cats do it. Cats are, by nature, nocturnal animals. They hunt and eat primarily at night. Even though studies have shown that domestic cats adapt their activity cycles to their environment and to human activity, in many cats, this natural instinct still dominates. Add to that that most of our cats are left alone for much of the day and probably spend the bulk of that time sleeping, and it’s no wonder that they become active at night.

There are two main components to changing this behavior:

• Stop rewarding undesired behavior.
  • Use your cat’s natural cycle to your advantage.

Stop rewarding undesired behavior

If your cat wakes you up early in the morning, your first inclination is probably to try and get back to sleep. However, in most cases, it’s simply not possible to do that with a cat either jumping up and down on you, attacking your feet, of pulling your hair. So eventually, you get up and feed the cat. And guess what you’ve just done? You’ve rewarded the behavior you don’t want.

You have to break this cycle - and if you stop responding to your cat’s attempts to get you out of bed for two weeks, you will most likely succeed. It’s going to take some moral fortitude to do this for two weeks, but it will be worth the effort.

Use your cat’s natural cycle to your advantage

If you usually feed your cat as soon as you get home from work, consider moving dinner time closer to bedtime. You may not want to do this all at once because you’ll probably have a very unhappy cat on your hands, but if you can gradually feed her half an hour later each day, you should be able to shift her feeding schedule without too much fuss.

Play with your cat before feeding her. I can’t stress the importance of ritualized play enough, especially for indoor cats. 5-10 minutes, ideally at least twice a day, and at the same time each day, will go a long way toward alleviating all sorts of behavior problems. Playing with your cat before feeding her mimics the cat’s natural behavior of hunt, kill and eat.

If you don’t want to change your cat’s dinner time to closer to bedtime, feed her at her usual time, but cut back on the amount just a little bit. Feed the remaining amount as a bedtime snack AFTER another 5-10 minute play session just before bedtime.

By not rewarding the behavior, and using your cat’s natural cycle to your advantage, you should see a difference in behavior after two weeks, and the scene from Simon’s Cat classic “Cat Man Do” video will be a thing of the past at your house.

Do your cats wake you up early? What have you tried to make them stop?

Critterzone banner for posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
FacebookTwitterGoogle+LinkedInPinterestShare

74 Responses to “How to Keep Your Cat from Waking You Up”

1. Bernadette says:

Interesting, I never thought of play before feeding but it makes perfect sense. And for years I gave my cats a snack right before I went to bed because I was also feeding whatever foster cat was in the spare bedroom and they felt it was unfair if they didn’t get to eat as well. Then they all came to bed with me. I felt that had something to do with their sleeping with me all night but had no idea why.

2. Thanks for the great post. We live with five cats, so inevitably at least one cat wakes us up early. Feeding near bedtime helps, as does playtime late in the evening. But we’ve also learned to live with it to some degree. I recently read that cats are “crepuscular,” most active at dawn and dusk. This seems to be true for our babies. I get the most work done in the late morning and afternoon, when the cats are less active or napping.

• Ingrid says:

I love that you adjust your writing schedule to fit in with your cats’ schedule, Anjali! And the fact that I don’t think this is strange at all probably says a lot about both of us.

3. Rayya says:

Very informative post. I agree persistence is the key. It won’t be easy changing your feline’s habits. However, it will be worth it in the long run and you will enjoy better sleep. :-)

4. That is fabulous advice but in our case we have an added component that causes a HUGE problem.
    Not for me, mind you but my husband who does the morning feedings.
    Cody wakes him up between 4am and around 5am…Cody jumps and has the most INCESSANT ANNOYING WHINE (I am sorry, you KNOW I love cats and his relentess WHINING annoys ME but usually I can sleep through it knowing that my husband does the morning feedings.
    Here is the component that causes the problem…
    Cody is the “ring leader” in our home and our Sheltie is the “follower”
    When Cody starts, Dakota chimes in with INCESSANT barking….
    When we try to ignore it, Cody goes back into the other room (Dakota is baby gated
    from our bedroom and back part of the condo) and proceeds to “report”
    to Dakota about his “progress” in waking Daddy up for breakfast.
    Then, Cody marches back into the room and resumes his
    whining, meowing, hitting my husband’s head, etc.
    Cody isn’t “free fed” due to having a propensity for being overweight, so he gets a
    few pieces of kibble at 10pm and then (per the vet’s instructions) because he
    used to keep us UP at bedtime, he gets most of his 1/4 cup
    kibble allotment at 11pm.
    He also gets a noon “snack” and eats dinner rather early, around 4pm
    I think what we will try to do based on your advice is try to play with him for a few
    minutes just before bed and see if that helps!
    This was so timely that I read it aloud to my poor sleep-deprived husband!
    xoxoxo

5. Mac says:

Excellent tips. My first visit to this blog, but I will definitely follow your updates!

6. My cat doesn’t wake my boyfriend and I up on purpose.. She just kind of walks all over us and lays down on top of our chest or our legs, which basically pins us to the bed. I feel too bad to wake her up and kick her off of me, even if I need to roll over to get back to sleep.

• Ingrid says:

Cynthia, I do the same thing! I often wake up in the middle of the night and feel like I need to roll over, but Allegra and Ruby are usually wedged on either side of me and just look too darn cute for me to want to disturb them!

7. AnnaZed says:

I feel like the proud Mam of a 3 month old human when I report that Leonardo (my cat) sleeps through the night. He’s trained, he really is. Now sleeping overnight means 10pm to about 4am, but that’s pretty good. As someone above noted he’s most crazed … I mean active … at dawn and dusk.

Now here’s the incredible part; I know this will sound like a product endorsement, and I suppose that it is, but he eats only Science Diet dry food and has a meal of the dry right before he clonks out at 10pm. He does not wake ravenous and there is a small amount of the kibble waiting for him so he has that and plays around for awhile and doesn’t expect his wet food (not Science Diet actually but Trader Joe’s 50 cents a can food, 1/4 can) until around 8am so doesn’t come demanding it.

• Ingrid says:

I’m glad your baby is sleeping through the night, Anna, and I completely understand that it makes you feel like a proud mama!

I would encourage you to consider switching to canned food, and to a better brand that doesn’t contain by-products and grains. You’ll find information on why cats should never eat dry food in the Feline Nutrition section on this site.

8. Bopeeps says:

I let the girls graze all day. But Lucy still wakes me up to “show” her the food. It’s like hey it’s been in the same place all day long :)

9. Priya says:

I’m trying to do this (not rewarding undesirable behaviour) but my problem is – if my darling cat wakes me up at 5:30am for feeding and then carries on until I get up at the ‘normal’ time of 6:30am, doesn’t that just reinforce his behaviour even though I’m getting up in response to my alarm clock rather than to him?

I’d really like to break him of this habit so any suggestions are gladly accepted.

10. Esme says:

I give in, I rub them, I play with them and then take them downstairs for breakfast. Shocking that they wake me up and not my husband. They sleep through the night but PEnelope is the early bird who leads the choir.

• Ingrid says:

I’m lucky that Allegra and Ruby pretty much let me sleep until 5:30 or 6:00, which is my usual wake up time anyway. When Allegra was young, she would start waking me up at 4am. Feeding her an additional meal just before going to bed helped a great deal.

11. Shinobi Wells says:

I really appreciate this article! It is ironic, however, that my partner – who is never awakened to feed the cats – was the one to share this with me.

So Princess Callie, our lovely Siamese/Maine Coon wakes me up EVERY morning starting at 4 am. She’s only a year old so I kinda hoped (beyond all logic) that the behavior would simply change with time. Like the cartoon, she starts with a gentle paw to to my face (usually to great effect but I can’t let her know that – it’s bad when you have to avoid eye-contact with your animals)…which persists more and more aggressively until her daddy gets up to feed her/them.

Her brother, Izzy, seems to enjoy making her do all the work (smart, because I have thrown pillows before, though he’s never very far away) only complaining that “it’s about time” once I swing my legs over the edge of the bed. And God help me if I go to the bathroom first!

Clearly I’m the one who’s so well trained but I’m actually curious to see whether adjusting their feeding times (and a little play-time before meals) will work. Thanks again!

12. Linda says:

I have tried this with our cat. If we don’t get up he jumps on the bed and urinates on it. This was the same with the squirt bottle. So really are at our odds. Had no sleep last night at all. He doesn’t urinate on the bed unless he’s mad at us. He was a resuce cat left behind when someone moved out of town. We have two other cats who are older and do not like to play with him. We can’t get a younger cat because we tried that and it was unfortunate that the cat we adopted who was 18 mths from a shelter also came along with the calici viris and passed away 2 mths later from feline leukemia. It is a blessing our cats only came down with the calci. I want to get another one but not for a year and they all have to be vaccinated again. So any suggestions. We have a multitude of toys for the cat to enjoy plus 4 cat trees.

• Ingrid says:

I’m sorry you’re dealing with all these problems, Linda, and I’m very sorry about your 18 month-old cat. You’re addressing multiple issues with your questions, and they’re really too complex to be easily answered. I can tell you that our cat is not urinating on your bed because he’s mad at you. The idea that cats pee on things because they’re displeased with their guardians is one of those cat behavior myths that just won’t die. Before you do anything else, I’d take your cat to the vet to rule out any medical problems, if you haven’t already done so. I would recommend working with a feline behaviorist.

13. Britta says:

I have a “morning cat” like that, only he meouws non stop instead of walking on me or jumping on the bed, I have tried many solutions but if you have any good suggestions or advise to make this behavior stop please share with me.

14. Tami Amburn says:

Cats just don’t understand about weekends.

15. Alisa says:

Our problem is this – we have 3 babies (1 really is a baby at 5 months). the oldest chooses not to eat all her food at one sitting like the other two, rather she wants to eat a little here and there (I guess she figures it will keep her metabolism rev’d and maintain her girlish figure). But, if we just left it out for her – there would none for her to have as the other two would inhale it. So, we have to cover it whenever she leaves it and uncover it when she goes back to it. I try to feed them early enough that by the time we go to bed, she’s eaten enough – but no – several times during the night she is either on me trying to get me to awake, or if that doesn’t work – meowing in a way that could wake the dead (unless of course you are my husband). Any suggestions?

16. Britta says:

Yes also feliaway, clomicalm( cause we have issues with sparaying )and calming treats, but he is not that active to play that late he likes to play in the morning????? Currrently the meouwing starts around 5 isch give or take and thats better then before

17. Ingrid your column is one of my ‘must reads’, thank you so much for the time and effort you put into it.

The situation is our household is that when I don’t respond to the older (male) cat’s efforts to wake me for breakfast, he begins to attack the younger, smaller female cat until she squeals in fear and then I intervene and take him into another room for an hour or so until it’s an appropriate feeding time. I had hoped that by not responding with food, the behavior would change, but it’s been going on for months now.

I’ve tried later feedings, and two smaller evening feedings, but that hasn’t seemed to make a difference. I’ll certainly try integrating play into our feeding schedule, but the aggressive behavior does worry me.

• Ingrid says:

I’m so glad you enjoy my site, Colleen!

Can you try to do structured play sessions with both cats together? Start out with an interactive toy in each hand and get them to play in the same space. Eventually, you can switch to one toy and have them both play with the same toy.

• Thank you Ingrid. They’re fine together 99% of the time (sleeping together, mutual grooming, chasing each other around the house), he only attacks her as a method of getting me out of bed in the morning– he’s figured out that if she expresses fear that I’ll get up to stop him. I don’t feed him as part of that process, but it hasn’t stopped him being aggressive when he wants his food. Interestingly, it doesn’t happen as part of the evening feeding.

Just a frustrating mystery I guess.

18. Lili says:

I had one that attacked my toes every morning. I tried everything.. Then gave up, founds very thick comforter, and folded it just over my feet and lower legs to prevent her needle sharp claws from reaching my skin. When I stopped reacting, she gave up on the game.

She was otherwise the sweetest most loving thing, so I knew she just wanted to play. I just had to teach her to wait until the alarm went off!

19. April says:

My husband and I work third shift, so we don’t really have any issues! Talulah and Cas eat when I get home from work and after I wake up. Talulah goes straight to her food bowl to let me know its time to eat. When I go to bed Cas will lay on daddy until I’m covered up, then he’ll climb over onto me and sleep. Talulah sleeps on my feet. When my alarm goes off they actually act mad! They average about 8-9 hours of sleep with me :)

20. Vanessa says:

I dont’ know which question to ask. What kind of cats do you guys have? What kind of abnormal cats do I have? This has never been a problem for us. Then again I rarely get out of bed and feed the cats immediately so perhaps they’ve learned that waking me early doesn’t change their schedule. There are dogs that need to be let out first (poor bladders) and a child that needs to feed his fish and then eat his own breakfast. After that the cats are fed. I love my kitties but their demanding tummies are not the morning priority. As for sleeping positions I could just be too deep a sleeper but the cats seem to move like water around my repositioning. My cat that sleeps with me will just roll with me when I go from back to side or tummy. From sleeping on my chest to curled at my side. The other sleeps on my husband’s head or at my son’s feet. I’m very sorry for the many of you functioning on minimal snoozes :( A funny story is that I had to leave the house at 5 am the other day and had to wake up all the animals and motivate them to their food bowls to make it out on time lol. I think if there are so many night owl kitties out there that instead of adopting new cats I’ll just have mine cloned! :)

21. Barb says:

our last of 3 is up by 4-4;30 AM and has that loud gutteral cry. I know he still misses his Mom and sister, too. And my husband is recovering froma stroke and I don’t want the cat to wake him up. Never thought of feeding him was a reward. Will try feeding him later at night and see if that works. He’s not a “player”, and is 16. Don’t know if I could survive 2 weeks of “changing his routine”?
    TY

22. Elaine says:

Hello. Thank you for your advise. I have 2 cats mother & son 4 & 3. They are really good they each get fed wet food 1 can a day split into 3 feedings last one just before I go to bed after at least 15 – 30 minutes of play time..plus dry food in a dish for whenever they want it. They don’ t usually eat they same flavor wet food which is a challenge…she prefers dry over wet both weigh 8 lbs and are healty according to my vet. My Goofy boy (part siamese) refuses to let me sleep past 7 which is ok i don’t need an alarm but i am now retired and would like to sleep in at least til 8 i do not feed them in the morning until an hour after he gets me up…he usually goes to sleep right after i am up…how do i get him to just sleep until i i get up..this morning it was raining i needed to be up and he let me sleep good thing i set my alarm..his mom is an angel. Him not so much. Love them both

23. Rio B. says:

I don’t have this problem… My boyfriend has this problem when he stays over. My cat plays with his face at night. We’re about to use compressed air.

24. Felicia says:

This was an interesting read, glad I came across it. Our oldest fur baby seems to only wake me up to be loved. It was quite bad for a few weeks where she would be wake me up at 2am, 330am, 6am and 7am to be petted.

There is food and water in the dish as we already feed them right before bed. The playtime before feedings is a great idea.

25. Maggie says:

I totally agree about playtime and also a little snack before bed. What I do is toss the treats so they have to go get them – I try to never put a treat on the ground in front of them. I have two cats and one of them I was able to clicker train to come to me, sit, and then for each treat he must give me a high-five with his paw. Meanwhile the other cat, is getting a treat tossed across the room which he runs and gets, sometimes even jumping into the air as it sails over his head.

I also have automated feeders that drop dry food at 6 am. My cats are on the CD diets and eat dry and wet food. So the feeder drops their food at 6 am, which means I don’t have to get up, after they eat they often go back to snoozing. It also drops food at 6 pm and so I get to watch what I call their “foodicide watch.” They know when the time is getting close! When I leave for work I leave their “treat boxes” for them – foraging boxes. Each is filled with little toys, a Go-Cat-Go treat ball, and a few treats. When I come home the contents of the box are spread across the floor, the treat ball is empty and the other treats are gone.

My cats are indoor only, for their health, and the health of wildlife. I try to give them lots of enrichments.

26. Nadia says:

It works. I did this when Kai was a kitten, it was a long week & a half, but well worth it in the end. Every once in a while (once or twice a year) she tries to get her breakfast at 5 am, I just ignore her and she goes away until her scheduled breakfast time.

27. Marcia says:

Looks like lots of people have the same problem. I’ve tried several of these suggestions: feeding before bedtime (didn’t work – still woke me up at the “normal” time for feeding); playing before bedtime with small snack; etc. Love my little boy, but just cannot break this habit of waking me up at 2:30 – 3:00 am. So now I just wake up automatically (just in case) he’s late waking me. LOL

28. Karen says:

We play with him and feed him right before bedtime and he’s still waking us up an hour before we need to be up!

29. Debbie says:

Great article. Our Marley was doing this VERY frequently for awhile, right about 3 to 4 AM. Sometimes he and the dog team up lol. When my hubby is ready for bed he says “Marley, are you ready to clean your teeth” (he gets dental treats at bedtime), and Marley runs to his bowl. I will suggest playing with him at bedtime, and see how that works…very often when I get up in the morning he and hubby are playing hide and seek, love the interaction between the two of them. It’s very funny to me how different he is with us, he likes to pat my face but has never done that to my husband.

30. Logan says:

Cats are not nocturnal, they are crepuscular.

31. Cathy says:

Our beloved Biggie boy took persistent to a whole new level. He would start yelling at 2 am and would keep it up for hours until
    A. You fed him
    B. You loved on him
    C. You fed him again

Since he was always on a diet (at one point he weighed 27 lbs) free feeding was out of the question. So, we ended up get an automatic pet food feeder. He was entranced with the ticking of the timer and after only a day or so, knew when it was going to pop open. Our’s had 2 dishes and we set one for 2 am and one 4 am – the amount of food was minimal and still within his daily rations but for him, he got to eat. Problem solved!

32. emily says:

my 3 year old boy has me well trained…we let him out of the bedroom into the rest of the house until 10 pm. then he’s in for the night. my husband says that i will wake up out of a sound sleep when he meows and either let him in or out and then go straight back to sleep. he, on the other hand, is much more resistant and will just ignore geordi until geordi gets the message and curls up to sleep in his bed. geordi is a free feeder who thankfully doesn’t overeat. he’s one of those nice long lean cats. he knows exactly what to do to get his way…jump all over dad’s computer desk and make crazy meowing noises. then he gets the boot! our roommate who tends to be a night owl has a young kitten who geordi will play with most of the evening so he gets a good play session in with her. they’re always tearing up and down the stairs!

33. Amita says:

First time visit to this blog. I’ve been wondering how to change Lucy-fur’s habit of waking me up at ungodly hours. She’s such high maintenance and often gets what she wants because I just can’t take her temper tantrums! That’s right, if her incessant meowing doesn’t do the trick, she goes around the house knocking things over or pawing at the cabinet doors in the kitchen! She’s a very smart kitty and I will admit her antics are quiet entertaining!

So initially she was dumped at the shelter where I volunteer along with her mom and three brothers. I had just lost two precious kitties to cancer in 2011, so the idea of fostering was a very welcomed distraction for me. I ended up adopting her and one of her brothers.

I turned my 2nd bedroom into a kitty palor ensuite which has turned out to be godsend. When Lucy howls in the morning, I get up zombie-style and direct them to their bedroom, shut the door and head back to sleep. Yes, it’s a “time-out” but she’s still getting her way since I’m still reacting.

I can easily spend 2-3 hours a night playing with her and it’s still not enough. Any suggestions?

• Ingrid says:

Sounds like you’re already doing everything right, Arnita. The only thing you haven’t done is not react to Lucy’s howling. Try it for two weeks if you can stand it, and see if it help!

34. darcy says:

I have a 2 1/2 year old Bengal girl. I’ve tried all of these things for 6 months, nothing works.

I work from home so she gets lots of play time and running time. However, when I don’t pay attention at the crack of dawn, she escalates from nudging everything off the tops of things (yes, most stuff is put away), to toppling bedside lamps and banging the edge of the mirror against the wall.

I sometimes put her in the bathroom and duct tape the lever handle (she can open *anything*) and go back to sleep. But that opens another can of worms…

She’s a Bengal. It is her world…

35. Elise says:

I must be the luckiest cat owner in the world or I subconsciously trained my five without even knowing it. Yes, they are ridiculously active first thing in the morning but it doesn’t start until they know I’m awake. Up until my alarm goes off they are curled up keeping me tucked in tight. Once I’m awake, however, all hell breaks loose and the lovlies are bouncing all over the place.

I suppose it helps that they are all nibblers and I just keep food out for them but they still make a mad dash for the food bowl any time I go near it. I personally think they just like showing me how much they like their food so must eat it all in front of me when ever possible.

36. Debbie says:

Tiger used to wake me up ALL night, jumping on my chest and meowing loudly in my face. So I fixed him! I started waking HIM up all day, when HE was sleeping. It worked!! He was all knackered out, so he slept all night. HA, tough love.

37. C says:

I usually lock my cat (Misty) out of the bedroom until I wake up the next morning (usually between 5:30 and 6:00am. Depending on what my hours at work are). I feed her anywhere between 6:00 and 7:000 in the morning. I suffer from insomnia so locking her out of the bedroom is the only way (that I have found) that I can get a good nights’ sleep without having to take medication.

38. Erika says:

Hi – I have a slightly different question about cats waking you up at night (sorry if its been asked before!) We recently moved from a tiny one bedroom apartment to a much larger home. Our cat Oliver had lived his whole life in that little apartment, and while he’s a really frisky little guy, he never really gave us trouble at night. He was really scared when we moved and cried a lot day and night, so the first night we let him stay in the room with us (which we don’t usually do). It’s been a week now and even though he’s totally back to normal otherwise he just cries all night at our door. I can’t tell whether he’s afraid still or just trying to get attention. We don’t want to reinforce or encourage it if it’s intentionally naughty behavior but we aren’t sure how to best address it. When we let him stay in the room another night he just played the whole time. Any advice would be so appreciated!

• Ingrid says:

Erika, if you don’t want Oliver in the bedroom with you at night, I recommend following the steps outlined in the article to wean him off this new behavior.

39. Debbie W says:

I’m blessed in that my furkids (cats and dogs) are sleepy-heads too and don’t wake me up. (Of course, I can sleep through about anything when I want to!) When Lilly (my little Dachsie) gets up and heads for the door though, I know that the snooze party is over!

LOVE that Simon’s Cat – probably my favorite one!

40. Linda says:

I have a four year old that wakes us up constantly to eat and then to patrol the balcony. This is at 2 am. My husband and I take turns sleeping on the couch at that time or there is hell to pay. I have tried everything, squirts of water no good he just jumps on the bed and pees on it. He will get up on the bed and whacked you, even bit my hubby in the but one night. I have not rewarded him and if he doesn’t get his way he chases our older cat who screams like someone is killing her. She is a Diva. This all started when my brother in law came over for a visit 3 years ago and got up at 2 and 4 to go out on the patio and have a smoke. I told him not to let the cats out they would continue to do so when he left. By that time it was too late the cats were already outside with him. I have not been able to break this. No way no how. Keeping him out just makes him scratch at the door and howl until he opens it. So I just give in.

41. Katie B says:

My cat is a year and a half old. I found him around 6 months old. He’s a very affectionate, playful cat. Recently he has not been sleeping with me at night but will come in at 4am every morning and meow and scratch at the curtains. I play with him almost every day when I come home from work and he gets fed around 8-9pm. What can I do to get him to stop waking me up so early? I’ve tried to spray him but he likes water so it doesn’t seem to bother him, and I’ve also tried to lock him out of the room but its too hard to keep him out when he spends most of the day alone anyway. I don’t give him and feed him in the mornings until I have to get up and leave for work. What should I do?? I’m a first time cat owner so I dont have much experience in this field. Thanks

• Ingrid says:

Have you tried following the suggestions in this article, Katie? I know it’s hard to be consistent, and it takes at least a couple of weeks to see any changes after implementing the suggestions.

42. Cathy says:

We have two cats, but generally only one of them gives us problems (Luther). Luther likes to wake me up in the morning. He doesn’t need food, water or clean litter; he just wants me out of bed. 5 minutes after I give up and get up, he goes back to bed and snuggles with my husband. If my husband wakes up before me, Luther won’t quietly go back to bed, and won’t snuggle with my husband in the living room. He yowls until I’m awake anyway!

He’s self sufficient during the day, even if we’re home. But in the evenings, all he wants is to either be in my husband’s lap or, if he’s feeling restoess, walk around yowling. We’ve tried ignoring his morning behavior, playing before bed, you name it – this behavior isn’t changing. And yes, he is 100% healthy. Help!

• Ingrid says:

Have you tried playing with him for 10-15 minutes before you go to bed, Cathy? Really get him tired out.

• Felicia says:

I have this same problem! My cat Benny will meow incessantly until I get out of bed. 99% of the time he still has food & water (we feed him right before we go to bed). Usually if I get out of bed and just walk out of the bedroom and come right back, that’s enough to get him to stop meowing. However at this point it takes me a while to fall back asleep.
      Benny has no interest in playing most of the time and even when he shows interest you’re lucky if he’ll play for 3 or 4 minutes before stopping. I’ve tried playing with him before bed, but he just usually ignores whatever I’m doing :(

43. chris says:

Here’s the problem with me following any “ignore them” suggestions. We have one cat (almost 3yrs old) and one actual human baby (almost 4 months old). Monster (the cat) makes the usual nuisance of herself at 5am, , which is 90mins earlier than my alarm for work and 2hrs before the wake up time we’ve recently successfully got into our daughter’s routine of nearly sleeping through the night (one middle of the night feed now). Monster will now meow constantly until either I get up or she wakes the baby (sometimes by leaving our room after being ignored for 10mins and going to the nursery door and meowing there). If I don’t “reward” the bad behaviour by getting up, I end up with a crying baby and a very irritated wife on my hands.

Now I don’t want to lock Monster out the house at night and we love her sleeping on our bed (my wife even gets anxious if she hasn’t seen Monster all night) but she is really pushing it – any suggestions?

• Ingrid says:

I would try “play therapy” with Monster. Play with her for 10-15 minutes before you go to bed. Really tire her out. Then give her a small snack.

44. Katie says:

I have this problem with my Spookycat. Every time I try to ignore his meowing or pouncing on my feet, though, he progresses to knocking things off of the bedside table and my dresser. He used to be an indoor/outdoor cat, but I’m trying to keep him indoors now due to some new neighbors who do not like cats and have been a tad mean to him when they see him outside. He also seems to get frustrated when I try to play with him, and gives up to go stare out the window after a couple of minutes. Any further suggestions?

• Ingrid says:

Keep following the suggestions in this article, Katie, and keep enticing him to play. Use interactive wand toys, and try to engage his hunting instinct by moving the toy as if it were prey.

45. Bernie says:

I have the four and they all let me sleep thru the night. However, as soon as I open my eyes or move I have 8 eyes looking at me. So if I even get up at 4AM for some reason, they are right there. Playtime around here is an ongoing thing. They all nap in the afternoon for a few hours then back in action.

How to keep your cat from waking you up

46. Catman says:

It’s just of the things I’ve come to live with. I have created these little alarm clock. From rattling window blinds, to The March over the Master, and who could forget the scratching at any closed door, closets and kitchen cabinets. Just for a smile I poke them when they sleep in the day time LOL