Conscious Cat

June 21, 2012 92 Comments

New treatment for cats with feline leukemia and FIV

Posted by Ingrid

brown_tabby_cat

Guest post by Lorie Huston, DVM

Until very recently, feline leukemia (FeLV) and feline AIDS (FIV) were both considered to be untreatable diseases, fatal once an infected cat started to show signs of disease. Recently, a new product has been introduced that may change that fact. (In all honesty, this is not really a “new” product per se, having been around since at least 2008, but one which seems to be getting a bit more attention lately.)

TCyte: A New Treatment for Feline Leukemia (FeLV) and Feline AIDS

TCyte, a new treatment for feline leukemia and feline AIDS is a lymphocyte T-cell immune modulator. In the simplest terms, that means that TCyte works on the infected cat’s immune system to improve the cat’s ability to deal with the feline leukemia or feline AIDS infection.

TCyte is used to treat cats infected with either the feline leukemia or feline  AIDS virus who are experiencing symptoms such as red blood cell or white blood cell abnormalities and/or opportunistic infections.

How Does TCyte Work?

TCyte has several different effects on the immune system of the infected cat. It helps increase the number of lymphocytes formed in the blood stream of the infected cat as well as improving the way the lymphocytes function. (Lymphocytes are specific types of white blood cells that are an important part of the immune system and they play a crucial role in the cat’s ability to fight disease. They are often decreased in feline leukemia and/or feline AIDS infections.) TCyte also increases red blood cell production, helping to fight anemia in infected cats. In addition, it increases IL-2 production, which is also known to stimulate the lymphocyte reaction against viruses, such as the feline leukemia and feline AIDS viruses.

Is TCyte Proven to Work?

TCyte currently has a conditional licensure granted by the USDA. This means that additional efficacy and potency studies are in progress. However, in a study published in the International Journal of Applied Research in Veterinary Medicine (Vol. 6, No. 2, 2008):

“A total of 23 FIV or FeLV-infected cats entered the study of which 22 qualified and completed as scheduled. No significant adverse reactions attributed to LTCI (TCyte) treatment were detected. Treatment with LTCI resulted in improvements in both clinical and hematological parameters.”

These results are encouraging. However, 23 cats is not a large number of animals. And the long-term benefits of treatment are still largely unknown although several of the cats in this study did survive for long periods. Much more research is needed in this area before we can really know how effective this product is in the long run.

Still, when you consider the deadly nature of these viruses, particularly once the red blood cell and white blood cell lines have become abnormal, this product might be worth trying if your cat is suffering from feline leukemia or feline AIDS. I have not, at this time, tried this medication in my veterinary practice yet. However, it is something I would consider should an owner be willing to attempt treatment, I think.

Have any of you had tried TCyte for your own FeLV or FIV-infected cats? If so, we would love to hear about your experience. Please share by leaving a comment below.

Lorie Huston has been practicing veterinary medicine for over 20 years. Besides a successful career in a busy small animal hospital in Providence, RI, Lorie is also a successful freelance writer specializing in pet care and pet health topics. Currently, she is the feature writer for the Pet Care section at Suite101.com, a contributing writer for Veterinary Medicine at About.com  and the National Pet Health Examiner at Examiner.com. Lorie also publishes her own blog, The Pet Health Care Gazette and manages an increasingly popular facebook page, The Voice of Pet Care.

Photo by Tomi Tapio, Flickr Creative Commons

FacebookTwitterGoogle+LinkedInPinterestShare

92 comments to “New treatment for cats with feline leukemia and FIV”

1. Lynn says:

A veterinarian exhibiting his products at Global Pet Expo in 2011 told me about this drug. He also said it has shown promise in battling the nebulous FIP, which actually intrigued me more, since I had just a couple of weeks prior to then lost a cat to FIP. It hadn’t been tested or approved for that, but he and some other vets he knew had been successfully using it and keeping cats alive who would otherwise have been dead from FIP. Here’s hoping it’s that miracle cure we’ve all been waiting for!

• Linda says:

THANK YOU for this information! As I was reading the article, I immediately wondered if there would be a treatment for FIP. I will take this info to my Vet and discuss with her. I provide refuge in my home for “unadoptable” cats and this information could be a God-send. Thank you again.

2. Connie says:

I had not heard of this, so thank you so much for sharing!! I was wondering too if it might help those kitties battling FIP – and look there was Lynn’s comment. I pray this continues to do what it is designed to do and is able to help so many kitties.

3. Great post today. Thanks for all the information.

pawhugs, Max

4. We have one FIV+cat. Thanks for the insightful post, Lorie!

5. We had heard of this – but had not heard about the potentially promising results for FIP. This would be a real game changer! Here’s hoping….

6. Ingrid says:

I agree with everyone else, it would be wonderful if this treatment also showed promise for helping cats with FIP.

7. kathleen meade says:

I currently have 3 FLV+ cats and have been caring for them for 6 years… I adopted the stray, pregnant momma-to-be, and 2 weeks later, she gave birth to 5 kittens, only to find out at the first vet check that they were all FLV+. Amazingly, the kittens lived, but we lost the 2 hearty boys around 1 year old and our little special needs runt at 3 years old. Because the little one face numerous issues, I gave her and her sibs Transfer Factor, to help build their immune systems. I’m not certain, but think it extended their lives. My vet is amazed that the kittens survived and that we still have the momma and 2 of her girls. Currently, all 3 are healthy in appearance, although I know it can change in an instant. I will definitely talk with my vet about T-Cyte, to see if it would be worthwhile using it now or in the future. Thank you for sharing this new hopeful treatment.

• Ingrid says:

That’s wonderful that all three of your cats are doing so well, Kathleen. I’d love to hear from you again if you decide to use T-Cyte.

8. scott says:

Would like to take part in any treats if possible. We just adopted an outdoor cat and can’t bring it into our home to meet our other two unless we get this cleared up. Can we apply to be a trial? Scottconsoliebay@gmail com

9. Jess says:

Scott, is your outside cat FIV or FELV? If it’s FIV you can still bring him into your home, just give a careful introduction (seperate for 2 weeks, swap rooms to let them all adjust to smell, short visits increasing in time) I brough home a FIV cat a few years ago with all negative cats in the home and we’ve never had an issue. There’s a lot of myths surrounding FIV+ cats living with negative cats. Of course if yours is FELV that’s a different story.

10. James and EMMITT says:

Goodday To All:

Our 11 year old male cat “Emmitt Smith”was found to have FIP (DRY FORM) about three weeks ago after his right eye became inflamed and very Red! There had been nothing visible in the Eye the day prior-that in it’s self was shocking. We had never even heard of FIP. The worst part is that our VET of 10 yrs had only Prednisone to give him, to slow the FIP! She gave him a month of so, that was very shocking to us! We were not onboard with that PLAN! After much searching on the net and speaking to a very famous genetic Professor working on FIP research- We were directed to a vet who had used TCYTE to save cats with Dry Form FIP. We have already starting giving Emmitt the TCYTE and as of this morning, he has shown GREAT improvement! Emmitt gets his third dose tomorrow. We are Very, Very lucky to have found this vet!! Emmitt would already be dead if not for his help. The most shocking part of this story is NOT FIP, It is the Reaction of our regular vet! She not only was angry that we had chosen to go this route, but refused to prescribe the two secondary antibiotics we required to use with the TCYTE! So, weather we are able get the FIP in remission or not, TCYTE has already been a life saving drug for Emmitt!! We know that others have run into this same closed small minded reaction from their VET’s as well. SO, beware that if you decide to use TCYTE your going to be fighting two diseases, the first is FIP and the second is your vets Arrogance and ignorance to TCYTE.

James and EMMITT

• Ingrid says:

That’s the first time I’ve heard of TCyte being used for FIP – thanks for sharing your experience, James. Thankfully, not all vets are as close-minded as yours appears to be. Patient advocacy is as important in veterinary medicine as it is in human medicine. Please keep us updated on Emmmit’s progress!

• SuzAnne says:

James & EMMITT

Congrats on your FIP progress so far! Our neighbor has been taking FIP cats in when vets sentence them to be euthanized and has over a 50% recovery rate! We will be looking into TCyte right away too! You may look into using Tamaflu use for Emmitt as we’ve used with success (sounds strange I know but it has worked). I hope you get the other 2 antibiotics for his recovery as well. The vet reactions are due to it’s high contagion factor and can wipe out an entire group of cats with death sentence. Once the cat is cured, it will not get or give it again, so quarantine is MANADATORY for success, as well as not infecting other cats at the vet or neighbors. Happy Emmitt is a fighter and having a chance!

• TheCatWhisperer says:

Why on Earth would your Vet not want to order you the TCYTE? My Vet doesn’t believe it will work but not only did he order it for me, he didn’t even mark up the price. He used my credit card so I know exactly how much it cost straight from the manufacturer. I am treating my 8 month old female kitten who has always been sick with either a cold, puking, and finally a bad skin infection which prompted my new Vet to retest for FeLV and sure enough she had it. I researched FeLV intensively to say the least for several weeks and there are ways to turn a cat who is at the brink of death back to being healthy again. I am using several medications to fight the FeLV including TCYTE (1st shot 6 days ago 2nd shot tomorrow) and lets just say she is doing better than the Vet had ever imagined. I will keep praying that she stays healthy.

11. James and EMMITT says:

Ingrid: I gave Mr.Smith his third injection of TCYTE and he seems to be responding as well as i had hoped. I thought to mention that more information can be found at http://www.tcyte.com, as well as ordering information. TCYTE is very cost effective, and has virtually no side effects! The entire first
    round of treatment is about $400, keeping in mind that your VET may mark it up (As Ours Did).

It comes in a “Cold Box” and must be refrigerated. You can have your VET do the injections, (If your lucky) but in Mr. EMMITT SMITH’S case- I do them. It comes in two parts, Part one is a sealed vial of powder and the second is a vial of Solution. I withdraw the clear Solution into the ceringe and inject it into the second vial of powder. It must be hand shaken for about two minutes, and withdrawn
    into the needle, I then inject under the skin between Mr. Smith’s Shoulders (behind his neck).

Giving your loved one’s shots is not for everyone, so if your scared of needles- it’s probably better left to the VET! It’s about 1ml of TCYTE. Be sure your ready, because after the two parts mix, it MUST BE USED with in four hours or thrown away.

I notice that Mr. SMITH likes to take a nap after his shot. HE wakes up hungry and happy! I hope that this helps someone with getting to know this wonderful and life saving drug. Keep in mind, this does not cure FIP, but with a lot of luck-FIP goes into remission.

James and Emmitt

12. Eric says:

James

thanks for all the info, I hope you will be able to provide regular updates on the status of Emmit and his treatment. I hope this works for the little guy. Sending you both my best

13. Suzie says:

Hi,

I have 5 cats and one of them has been diagnosed with FIV+. Can the FIV+ cat live together with the non FIV cats. Please advice

14. Suzie says:

Dear Ingrid,

Thank you so much for your reply. I live in Malaysia. So far only 1 cat has been tested for FIV+. I will be sending the other 4 cats for testing this weekend.

I have read about the LTCI drug. However, this drug is not available here. Can you advice how i can get the drug sent out to Malaysia.

My vet has advised that i try Interferon Omega which i may have to import from UK.

Appreciate some advice.

Desperately thanking you.

• Ingrid says:

You’d have to have your vet look into getting LTCI. Suzie. I’d recommend that your vet contact the manufacturer directly.

• Suzie says:

Dear Ingrid,

I have spoken to my vet and they have tried to contact the manufacturer for LTCI. Unfortunately, that was 4 days ago and the manufacturer has not reply to my vet’s queries. My vet is also willing to do the test trials in Malaysia. Is there anyway you can help us obtain the LTCI to be sent to Malaysia.

Would most appreciate your help.

• Ingrid says:

Unfortunately, I can’t help you with obtaining the LTCI, I have no connections to the manufacturer. I suggest that your vet keep trying to contact them.

• khor says:

Hi Suzie,

I am also from Malaysia and facing a similar problem with my cat.
          If you are located in Kuala Lumpur, try visiting AMC.

They can import and administer LTCI to your cat.
          The treatment cost about RM300+ per shot though.

khor

• TheCatWhisperer says:

Suzie how is your cat? Did you ever get the LTCI?

• Suzie says:

Hi CatWhisperer,

Yes, i got the LTCI and my kitties are doing great. Got one of the FIV reversed.

• TheCatWhisperer says:

Hi Suzie

One of your cats tested negative for FIV using LTIC? Did your Vet think it was the cats own immune system or was it the LTCI? I was wondering if a cat has FeLV and the LTCI makes the cat test negative would the vaccine work to keep it from coming back? From what I know once the FeLV virus enters the bone marrow it hides in the DNA and can come back at a later time. I was wondering if you vaccinated the cat would it be able to fight off the virus once it starts to reproduce from the bone marrow.

15. Sheri says:

Suzie,

I have heard wonderful things about Interferon Omega. Unfortunately it is not available in the US. I may start one of my FeLV+ cats on LTCI (Tcyte) soon but of the 2 drugs, I would much rather be able to do the Interferon Omega. More research has been done, and there are valid results indicating its efficancy. I hope you can get your cat on that and comment on results.

As for LTCI, I had hoped that the people who responded on this forum had actually tried it. I’m also scouring the internet and wondering why there aren’t way more comments.

By the way, I have adopted 5 FeLV+. The oldest four range from ages 4 to 8 years old and have not been on any medication other than Azithromycin or Convenia and sometimes steroids from time to time for various ailments. They’ve beat the odds, but I just got a young one (1.5 years) who has stomatitis and other clinical symptoms. Just wish I could get him on the Interferon Omega…but for some reason, the US is behind on this one.

Sheri

• Ingrid says:

Sheri, would you let me know how your cat does on the Interferon Omega if you decide to try it?

• Sheri says:

I’m in the US so I can’t get Interferon Omega (Virbagen Omega). Suzie was the one who said something about getting it imported from the UK for her cat. I think it has to be shipped refrigerated, but maybe that can be done to her country. I hope so.

Sheri

• Jess says:

I used it for a few months for my boy who is around 6 or 7 years old (was a stray) I didn’t feel there was enough of a difference to warrant continuing its use for the cost but he also doesn’t show any symptoms of being FIV+ other than a more than normal build up of plaque. I can’t say how it works for FeLV+ but that was my experience with LTCI. If the cost was lower I would have considered leaving him on it a bit longer to see but I wasn’t really impressed. My vet thought that it may have more of a noticeable impact it were a cat that was experiencing problems vs one that didn’t have much going on. Not sure if she was right but that was her first experience with it too.

• Sheri says:

I don’t blame you for discontinuing LTCI on your FIV+. My mom has 3 FIV+ cats, and they seem as healthy as her other cats, although one did have some minor dental problems when we found him.

I’m thinking about using it on a symptomatic 1.5 year old FeLV+ cat that I adopted a few months ago. He’s constantly congested and has stomatitis that won’t clear up. He’s been on 2 courses of antibiotics and had about the half the teeth in his head pulled out during a recent dental. All this hasn’t affected his appetite. His former owner didn’t feed her cats well, and he’s about to eat me out of house and home. That’s a good sign, but I don’t see him living as long as my other positive cats without some help. My vet is advising me against LTCI simply because he feels it’s too much money for something that hasn’t been extensively tested.

Have there not been any clinical trails with results published in major journals? I’m torn here. I don’t want to sit back and do nothing for the little fellow, but the initial 2-week treatment of LTCI will cost me $250 (for 3 shots). Just wish it were a “miracle cure”…but that’s still a long way away I suppose.

Thanks,

Sheri

16. Suzie says:

Hi All,

sorry for the late reply. I could not obtain the Interferon Omega (Virbagen Omega) as despite repeated emails, there is no reply from them. Further i understand that the price of Interferon Omega (Virbagen Omega) has increased dramatically.

So i decided to give LTCI a try. My vet at AMC was kind enough to import the LTCI. My kitty has had 3 injections and after that we did a blood test and everything seems good. That was 1 month ago and last weekend, did another test and the results was also good except for her sugar level which was slightly higher. I am still monitoring my kitty and will run test on her in another 3 months time.

Will keep you posted on her condition.

suzie

17. steve says:

i start my Felv cat on LTCI this am. Hope it works. will post results in a month or so.

18. Omar Lopez says:

Hi all,

I’ve had excellent results with TCyte so far. If you want to leave a comment at my website http://opusvsleukemia.blogspot.mx/ you will be very welcomed,

Omar (Mexico City)

19. Sheri says:

I have 5 FeLV+ cats and have been on the fence about TCyte. A friend of mine who is both a veterinarian and a ph.D in microbiology does not feel it would be effective after reading the literature on it. She says it doesn’t target the virus specifically. Also the main “scientific” article on it had data that is all supplied by the manufacturer.

I feel if this were legitimate, there would be clinical trials. If these trials were wildly successful, LTCI would be a world sensation. My friend also questioned why it’s on conditional approval by the USDA but not the FDA, who approves most legitimate vet medicine. Finally, the guy that developed LTCI–Dr. Terry Beardsley–is now peddling ProBoost, an anti-aging supplement for humans.

I really hope this stuff does work, and that someday clinical trials will support it, but my own vet says he feels it is way too expensive for something that is unproven (i.e. “snake oil”). The solace I take in all this is that I have been lucky enough to have most of my FeLV+ cats asymptomatic for years (the oldest is now 8 yrs old), but one is struggling. Maybe LTCI would help him, but with no clinical trials by objective parties, I worry it could not only be a rip off, but even hurt him.

So please, TCyte…if you have a product you believe in …prove it through clinical trials to those of us who would gladly do anything to help our “babies.”

• Ingrid says:

I’d love to see clinical trials, too, Sheri, but in the meantime, I’m still very interested to hear from cat owners who have used the producct.

• Suzie says:

Hi Ingrid

Greetings from Malaysia. My 2 cats have used the TCyte and so far the results are good and they seem to be doing well.

Best Regards and Happy Thanksgiving

20. Sheri says:

I see your point about personal stories by pet owners. When considering LTCI, I scoured the internet and just couldn’t find anything compelling. It seems to do no harm at least, but my vet is pretty adamant that it’s a rip off. I would love TCyte to prove skeptics wrong. I desperately want something to work.

Has anyone heard of a cat in clinical stages (anemia, stomatitis, and other typical FeLV+ symptoms) that improved after the use of LTCI?

21. Brenda says:

I had 2 cats who were FIP positive. One was born with it and the other caught it when she was less than 1 year. I used the human interferon which helped for a while and I eventually ordered the Interferon Omega for UK. It was expensive but worth it ($1,200). The cat that caught the FIP when 1 year old ended up being negative. She had all the clinical signs and is now 10 years old and healthy. My other cat who was born with it ended up living to 5 years old and then was killed by a dog. She had no FIP symptoms after being treated twice. I ended up pulling her teeth due to gingivitis. I had some Interferon Omega left over and then treated a cat with FelV and he ended up coming up negative after the treatment. I’ve had great success treating FIP with Human interferon and Omega. I am now dealing with FelV. I have a 5 month old siemese who is becoming anemic. I’m presently getting ready to order Omega but will try LTCI first. I’m going to try LTCI and will keep you informed.

• Ingrid says:

Wow, that is certainly a testament to the effectiveness of interferon Omega, Brenda! I’ll be interested to hear how the LTCI works for your cat.

• Sheri says:

Hi — I was wondering what you meant by FIP+. My vet says there’s no easy test for FIP (unlike the ELISA for FIV/FeLV). He can check to see if the cat has been exposed to the corona virus, which causes FIP, but then again a lot of cats carry that virus. In only a few does it really mutate into FIP. Years ago, I dealt with one stray cat that had developed FIP, and he only lived a week after showing signs of the wet form (stomach very bloated). I wish I’d had something to help prolong his life.

Thanks,

Sheri

P.S. That’s horrible about the cat overcoming disease but ending up being killed by a dog at such a young age. I never let my babies outside…just too many hazards out there.

22. Brenda says:

I’ve ordered and used the LTCI. My siemese kitten stopped having an upper respiratory and was acting like a normal kitten. There are no side effects. I do recommend it! I’m now treating her with Interferon Omega which I got from UK. She’s not showing any signs of being sick, so hopefully it’s in remission.

I’ll keep you posted.

23. Brenda says:

I forgot to mention that my siemese has Feline Leukemia. This is the first cat that I’m treating with Interferon. I have treated FIP with Interferon Omega and both cats ended up being cured, testing negative.

• TheCatWhisperer says:

Brenda do you know of any FeLV cats that tested positive with both the ELISA & IFA tests who eventually tested negative after treatment with either Interferon or Interferon Omega?

24. Suzie Loo says:

Hi all,

It has been a year since i last wrote about my FIV+ fur kids. As i have mentioned 1 year, 3 has been diagnosed with FIV+. Last week, i did the blood work on the 3 babies and now i have 2 FIV+ babies.

What happened? I am shocked. All the doctor could say was that the earlier results could be inaccurate and from my understanding, you could only get a inaccurate report if your fur baby had taken FIV vacine which my fur kids did not.

Up date on my 2 FIV+ fur kids. They had their LTCI one year ago and so far they are healthy except for the off and on flu, eye infection and now gastro prob.

I am also trying other holistic methods with them ie by applying pure essential oils on them.

love to all :)

25. Patricia says:

Hello guys! I hope someone can help me here.

Do you know something about the use of LTCI, from t-cyte, (approved for FIV/FELV) for FIP?

Searching the internet i could only find the Healing Heart cats case, examiner article and Emmit case, sounds promising, so why arent more research about?

I have two kittens with the dry form, being treated with human interferon, we dont have feline omega or LTCI here (Brazil), and its very expensive to import, so I have to get to a conclusion before importing.

Thanks very much.

26. Brenda says:

I have used ltci and it works. I have a 10 month kitten with feline leukemia and is doing well. I also used omega interferon and it puts cat in remission.

• Mariangela says:

Hi Brenda,

I could really use your help on that. You said you managed to get your hands on Virbagen Omega from the UK. How did you do that? I contacted one of the suppliers and what they told me was
      “Unfortunately as the Virbagen Omega is a refrigerated item, and is only transported in the UK on next day courier services, we are unable to offer a delivery service outside of the UK.

But if you did want to purchase this product from VioVet (after checking to see if you can import this – you may need import licences or have import taxes applied – so please check with your local customs offices regarding this first), you could but you would have to arrange your own courier collection though.”

They said that a prescription from a US vet would suffice, but I am not sure how I can work around the delivery issues

Any help would be appreciated

Best,
      Mariangela

27. Mariangela says:

Hello,

my 10-month old kitten is suffering from severe anemia due to FeLV that was detected in her bone marrow (she had tested negative for the ELISA test). I am desperate, because I love her so much and I don’t want to lose her. My vet managed to get her hands on some donated LTCI (so I don’t even have to pay for the treatment, God bless her!) and we did the first injection last night. Does anyone have a similar experience? Did you get any promising results? I will contact Virbac tomorrow in Greece and ask them if we can get our hands on any Vibragen Omega too. Fortunately, my mom has two vets for our cats in Greece that may be able to prescribe some VO if the company tells me that they need a European prescription and have it shipped over (if doable). I know it is almost impossible to get our hands on VO in the States, but was anyone fortunate enough to be able to try the drug on their FeLV+ cats? Any help would be very much appreciated!!!!

Thanks in advance

28. Sheri says:

I’m very sorry to hear about your kitten. I hope you can get the Virbagen Omega as soon as possible. I haven’t used either, but I hear that it is more proven and tested than LCTI.

Also, have you had your kitten tested for the Haemobartonella blood parasite? That caused anemia in one my FeLV+ cats and was easily treated. Good luck.

Sheri

• Mariangela says:

Hi Sheri,

we originally thought she had mycoplasma and we started her on doxycycline and prednisolone. However, her response was rather mediocre and she needed a second blood transfusion. After that, we added cyclosporine, but had no effects. After she had her third blood transfusion, we did the bone marrow aspirate and found the FeLV.

Thank you for your kind words, I am keeping my fingers crossed…

Mariangela

29. Brenda says:

I’ve been treating my kitten with LTCI and have good results. She’s more active, eats better and seems to be in remission. I’ve treated her with virbagen omega and am getting ready to treat again. She is a very strong positive. She looks very healthy but would continue to get upper respiratory infections. I have not tested her yet, but will do so prior to treating with virbagen. Start immediately with LTCI and keep going.

30. Suzie Loo says:

Hi Mariangela,

I have used LTCI on my FIV kitties and have good results. I also understand that my Vet is using LTCI for FeLV kitties and an the results are also promising. Hope all goes well for you and kitty. Hang in there.

Love
    suzie

• Mariangela says:

Thank you Suzie for your kind words and support, I am devastated knowing that there is no treatment for FeLV so I will do anything in my powers to save her.

31. Mariangela says:

Hi everyone,

I found a company in the UK that will ship virbagen omega to the US. It’s not cheap, but it isn’t as expensive as other people have paid when they go through vet hospitals. I have a question for people that have tried both LTCI and VO. How long after the end of the LTCI treatment did you start your cats on virbagen?Pippi’s LTCI treatment should be done early next week and I am assuming that, if everything goes well, I may have the VO by the end of next week.
    Any advice would be very helpful

Thanks,
    Mariangela

32. Brenda says:

Hi everyone,

I had my vet contact Virbagen Omega directly and the medicine was shipped from UK by http://www.abbeyvet-export.co.uk Medication has to be refrigerated. Shipping costs around $1,000 from UK to Houston, TX. FDA does require a letter like they use to. I was not required to have a letter this year like in the past since it’s more common Virbagen being brought in. I’ve had the medication shipped 3 times now and the price keeps going up, but it’s worth it. I order enough medicine to treat my animals at least twice in case the first time doesn’t put it in remission. I’ve treated 2 cats with FIP and both went into remission. I’m now treating my 11 month old siemese kitten and she’s doing well, but prone to upper respiratory infections off and on. I’ve given her 2 sets of LTCI and each time she does better, it bring them up and when I notice her eye running or her nose getting stopped up, I start with the shots again which lasts for months. With love and care your cats can live through FIP and Feline Leukemia. My positive FIP cat is now 11 years old and healthy. If I can get my siemese kitten past the 1 year she could possibly live a long life. She’s eating, playing and growing, and plays with my other cats. I vaccinate them and they have not gotten Feline Leukemia from her.

33. Brenda says:

In response to your question regarding LTCI and Virbagen Omega. I started VO a few days later after LTCI. My vet contacted LTCI and it will not interfere with VO. My kitten got diarreah from VO treatments so I had her on Science Diet Gastrointestinal to help with loose stool. You won’t notice improvement of VO until you finish all sets of shots.

Good luck!

34. Mariangela says:

Hi All,

I have another question…The internal medicine vet insists on keeping Pippi on cyclosporine although she tested FeLV+ in her bone marrow. I am thinking of taking her off, because cyclosporine never helped (I would say the contrary) and I don’t get why we should continue suppressing her immune system since she has a virus!!!!Can you guys share your experience regarding treatment when your cats tested FeLV+? Did you give any immunosuppressants?

Thanks

• TheCatWhisperer says:

I am not a veterinarian but I have read that you should not suppress their immune systems and my Vet is always extra careful to make sure anything he prescribes does not suppress the immune system. How is your kitten doing?

• Sheri says:

Hi,

Veterinarians frequently use immunosuppressants–albeit with caution–on FeLV/FIV cats. When the cats get cancer, they can become very anemic as their white blood cells attack the red ones (esp. if the cat concurrently is battling the hemobart parasite). For my FeLV+ cat who developed lymphoma, the steroids were the only that kept his white blood cell count down for a while. They didn’t save his life, but gave him a little extra time.

Another FeLV+ cat of mine has chronic stomatitis. His immune system is basically attacking his gums–its like the body is allergic to its own teeth. He’s had many teeth pulled, but there’s still redness about the remaining teeth. An occasional steroid shot keeps the inflammation down.

Sheri

35. JacksonsMama says:

Hi all,

My 9 month old furbaby (Jackson) was diagnosed FeLV+ a few days ago after I rushed him to the vet due to lethargy and laboured breathing – Test results have shown that he has lymphoma, a 5cm size tumor in his chest cavity, which is linked to his FeLV status. I am desperately looking for alternative treatments to just using cortisone shots to make him comfortable until he can no longer fight this awful disease (he has an estimated 6months left). The Oncology specialist advised us against putting him through chemotherapy due to how sick he is and his age (and obviously his FeLV+ status). The cortisone will apparently shrink the tumor a little bit. I am wondering if he was treated with LTCI for his FeLV, would the tumor possibly improve too?

Any helpful information anyone has is MUCH appreciated!

Stacey

36. Sheri says:

Stacey,

I am truly sorry to hear about your kitten. FeLV is so unpredictable. I’ve seen some not live to their 1st birthday, but my oldest one is almost 9 years old.

I haven’t tried LCTI. I’ve spoken to two vets about it who both think it’s a scam. One gave me a scientific explanation saying it isn’t targeted enough to specific feline immunodeficiency viruses. There are also no major objective scientific studies on its efficacy which also makes it less than credible. However, some owners feel it has helped their cats. Your problem is the urgency of Jackson’s situation, and I think LCTI is given more to slow the virus down early in its stages rather than help shrink tumors. I keep scouring the internet for new info on it, but this site probably has more comments about LCTI than most others.

It may be worth a try if you can afford it, but you could also try some alternative treatments. There is a lot out there on homeopathic treatment of cancers in cats. I don’t know much about it, but there are also vets that specialize in naturopathic medicine for pets.

Good luck–my heart goes out to you. This is so tough.

Sheri

• TheCatWhisperer says:

LTCI from what I understand (I am not a Vet or Scientist or PhD but I have researched retro-viruses, FeLV, anti-virals, and holistic cures with OCD like intensity) LTCI is not supposed to be specific to target the FeLV virus, it is supposed to restore the cats immune system that gets destroyed by the FeLV virus. That’s why a lot of people use it in conjunction with an anti-viral such as the HIV medication AZT as a two phase approach, one to kill the virus and one to boost the body immune system to help it kill the virus and ward off any secondary illnesses.

37. Brenda says:

I just treated my 10 month old Siemese kitten (Cotton) with LTCI and she does better every time. I re-tested her FeLV which wasn’t a strong blue like the previous test. I’ll treat her again with Virbagen Omega to see if I can weaken the virus some more. She did weigh 4.2 lbs and is now up to 8 lbs. I will start giving her LTCI once a month just to keep her strong and healthy. There’s no side effects and she does respond to it. When stressed, her eyes and nose runs, but she’s eating good. I’m trying to get her healthy so I can vaccinate her, which if I do that, that will bring her down a bit.

In response to the Jackson kitty, so sad to hear about a tumor. LTCI will help him with his lethargy but will do nothing for the tumor. If you can get him to do better with the FeLV, maybe eventually you can do chemotherapy. Try to get him stronger and put on more weight on, then you can try to deal with tumor. Like I’ve mentioned before, LTCI makes them feel better.

Good luck.

38. Chad says:

Hello… I have a cat also that in an X ray shows a small tumor. She is only 2 years old. I don’t know what to do my vet isn’t trying to prescribe me with LTCI. I am willing to try anything to give my child a second chance… So any information will help me. Please and thank you…

• Ingrid says:

Chad, I’m not sure what you mean by “my vet isn’t trying to prescribe you with LTCI” – did you mean he/she won’t prescribe? If so, I’d get a second opinion from another vet.

• Sheri says:

Your vet may be like my vet who believes it’s a rip off, although I think my vet would order it if I insisted. However, he really doesn’t want to be a part of me spending that much money until there are legitimate clinical trails on LCTI.

Sheri

39. Mariangela says:

Hi guys,

just to give you an update on Pippi’s situtation. Pippi passed on September 19, a few days after her 1st birthday. Unfortunately, I returned home from work to take her to her vet appointment and found her dead. I don’t think I have experienced a worst shock in my life.
    I had tried LTCI, it did nothing for her anemia; LTCI supposedly enhances the activity of a cell population with anti-viral properties. Having seen zero effects, I ordered virbagen omega, since I had heard such amazing things. I can now say, that the study they present is a joke. I am a scientist myself (neuroscientist dealing with neurodegenerative diseases) and when I read the scientific paper from the company related to the effects of virbagen omega in anemia, the study in reality proves that the drug doesn’t have any significant effects. I am not saying not to try it, but when it comes to severe anemia like Pippi had, I wouldn’t expect results. Of course I would do anything and pay any kind of money to save my little princess. She didn’t survive to even get the 3rd round of injections…

• Suzie Loo says:

Hi Mariangela,

So sorry for your loss. I can only imagine what you are going thru. Stay strong.

• Sheri says:

Mariangela,

I know the pain of losing a very young cat, and it seems tremendously unfair. Please think of it this way. Even though her life was short, Pippi was loved more than most animals will ever know. I’ve had FeLV+ cats that lived to be anywhere from 8 months old to one who is now 9 years old. The disease is so unpredictable.

Thanks for your info on LCTI and Virbagen Omega. I was skeptical of LTCI but thought of Virbagen as some sort of miracle drug. Maybe for some cats it has been, but until it’s here in the US and more affordable, I think most of us have to look for other ways of dealing with anemia, lymphoma, etc.

Take care,

Sheri

• Mariangela says:

Thank you all for your comforting words, I am trying to deal with her loss, but it is not always so easy.
        I just hope she knew how much I loved her…

Sheri, I was hoping too that virbagen is the miracle drug, but like you said, maybe it works for less severe cases. Unfortunately, veterinary-related research is not as advanced as we, pet owners and lovers, would have hoped.

Although I know it is impossible, I hope that nobody else will ever experience the pain I went through during the course of Pippi’s disease, not being able to cure my pet and listening to vets telling me that she has a death sentence and only a miracle will save her. I pray that our little and adorable companions stay healthy…

• Ingrid says:

I’m so sorry, Mariangela. Losing a cat is always devastating, but when it’s as young cat like Pippa, and finding her dead, it’s almost unbearable. My heart goes out to you. Thank you for sharing your experience with virbagen omega so others can benefit.

40. Chad says:

Yes your were right Sheri. I just hope I’m not out of options… I believe everything and everyone deserves a second chance. But unfortunately it does not go was we hoped for. I consider my pets my children. The stress, the pain is real. Sorry for your loss… I might be putting mine to sleep this weekend… I do not want her to suffer… I’m a guy saying this. Lol. Keep your faith and hope. Sorry for any loss…

41. Chad says:

anybody try hemp seed oil on animals… Said it works on humans and kills cancer cells… Proven to work against cancer and prevent you from getting it?

42. Chad says:

I don’t know what to do? Does anyone have an advice on getting my cat to breath easier so I can try this petz oil for my cat?

• Ingrid says:

I’m not sure what you mean by petz oil, Chad, but I’m concerned with you looking for advice on getting your cat to breathe easier. If your cat’s breathing is labored, please seek immediate veterinary attention.