Conscious Cat

June 14, 2012 19 Comments

Rotation Diet for Cats

Posted by Ingrid

cat_eating_bowl

Human nutritionists tell us that food variety is an important part of maintaining a healthy diet, and yet, we don’t think twice about feeding our pets the same food, day after day. I can’t imagine that they enjoy this lack of variety any more than we would.

But in addition to the boredom factor, there are other important reasons for feeding a variety of foods, also knows as the rotation diet, or rotation feeding. You can rotate different proteins, brands and flavors on a daily, weekly or monthly basis.

Benefits of a rotation diet

• Optimum and complete nutrition. I don’t believe that any one food can be complete and balanced for the life of a cat, no matter what the label says.
  • Decrease the risk of developing food allergies. Food allergies can develop when a cat is fed the same protein over a long period of time.
  • Prevent your cat from becoming finicky. When your cat eats food with different proteins, textures and flavors, she is less likely to become finicky and stop eating. If your brand changes its formula, or is recalled, you’ll find yourself without a ready alternative you know your cat will eat.

How to feed a rotation diet

There is no right or wrong way to feed a rotation diet. You can feed one food in the morning, and a different one at night, or you can change foods weekly, or monthly.

Some cats may experience mild GI upset when changing foods – something that typically doesn’t happen when rotating grain-free canned or raw food. If your cat has a sensitive stomach, you can rotation feed over a period of a week by gradually mixing in some of the new food with the old and gradually reducing the amount of the old until you’re feeding only the new food.

Probiotics can help ward off any potential GI issues. Regardless of whether you rotation feed or not, I recommend the use of a good probiotic on a daily basis. Probiotics have multiple benefits on not just the intestinal tract, but the immune system as a whole. I like Dr. Goodpet’s Feline Digestive Enzymes, a combination of probiotics and enzymes.

How I rotation feed Allegra and Ruby

Allegra and Ruby eat a combination of raw and grain-free canned food. I rotate different brands and proteins for their meals, usually chicken, turkey and duck.

For the brands I feed and like, please read The best food for your cat: my recommendations.

Do you feed a variety of foods to your cat?

Dr. Goodpet

FacebookTwitterGoogle+LinkedInPinterestShare

19 Responses to “Rotation Diet for Cats”

1. Nina says:

Oh boy do I. Hanx gets freeze dried raw, regular raw, grain free canned and budget friendly grain free pouches. He rotates between maybe 4-6 brands of food and a myriad of textures. If he ever gets finnecky I will be baffled!

2. Carine says:

Hello,
    Thank you for your information posts!
    I always thought it was important to vary the food our cats eat (we wouldn’t eat the same thing everyday over and over so why would they?).
    One of our three cats is on a strict diet of S/O urinary though (has been for several years now) and every time he eats a bit of something else, he has severe urinary problems. But of course, lately, he’s been reluctant to eat. We tried dry and wet S/O, dry in water S/O, it worked for a couple of weeks, but then it is evident that he eats reluctantly.
    The food for our other two cats is out of his reach but he always asks for it. Vets have been telling us that there is no other food option. But it pains me to see him eat reluctantly(he would meow and meow again to us for food and only touch his food when he sees that’s the only option).
    Would you have any suggestion?
    Thanks in advance!

• Ingrid says:

No food is a good option if your cat won’t eat it, Carine. Since you said that he had severe urinary problems in the past whenever he stopped eating the S/O, I’m hesitant to recommend switching him to a regular, grain-free canned diet. I would suggest working with a holistic vet on formulating a diet that works for his urinary issues. Dr. Lisa Pierson offers remote consults, she may be a good option if you don’t have access to holistic vets locally.

In the meantime, to try to entice him to eat at all, you can try mixing a little bit of tuna juice in with the S/O, or sprinkle some crumbled up freeze dried chicken treats on top of his food. Some people also have good luck with grated Parmesan cheese to entice finicky eater.

• Carine says:

Thanks a lot!
        I will indeed try the tuna juice that I gave to one of our other cats before. Should have thought about it! And look into the holistic vet option.
        Thanks again :-)

3. where do you get rabbit? and do you make your own raw food or do you buy the prepackaged stuff?

4. Allie’s on a raw food diet too and she occasionally expresses interest in the canned grain free the boys eat. I like the thought of keeping her in touch with canned in case the power goes out – hadn’t thought of that!

Once the craziness of my summer workload dies down (September-ish) I’m going to try to get the boys moved over to raw. At least they’re fully grain free.

I rotate foods too, mainly because I’m afraid that some day, Allie will suddenly decide she doesn’t like the frozen raw nuggets any more – and then where will I be?

I buy 3 different flavors of raw nuggets, dump them all out on my counter, and rearrange them in their bags so they’re all mixed flavors.

I second Jenny’s question – where do you get rabbit?

5. Pam says:

My kitty gets all the flavors of Rad Cat … chicken, turkey and lamb. Plus, he gets probably about 4 meals per week that are from canned foods … venison, variety of fish, rabbit, beef.

I’m not picky (neither is my cat!) about the flavor, but I am very picky about the ingredients in the can!

6. [...] I knew my two girls would be absolutely delighted. They eat Pawgevity chicken as part of their rotation diet, and they love it. How would the rabbit fare? But why don’t I let them tell [...]

7. [...] no matter how high a quality, simply doesn’t make sense. Human nutritionists tell us that food variety is an important part of maintaining a healthy diet, and yet, we don’t think twice about [...]

8. I have always fed my cats a variety of food. I never knew it had a name…rotation diet! I don’t like to eat the same thing every day, so I figure my cats don’t either. They all get different varieties of grain-free canned food (I tried raw at one time, but Wally turned his nose up to it, so I went back to canned). The boys do get some grain-free dry food…that I would like to stop…but they beg for it, and I haven’t the heart to say no.

Sue

9. Merrily Munson says:

Just thought I might add….. Primal sources their rabbit in the USA, Natures Variety sources their from China. This info was given me directly from the manufacturers.

• Ingrid says:

That is correct, Merrily. According to Nature’s Variety, they employ a US trained food scientist to oversee rabbit sourcing, but I still prefer to feed foods with no ingredients from China. I believe all other Nature’s Variety proteins are sourced in the US.

10. Merrily Munson says:

Although I make my Cats raw food diet I sometimes feed commercial raw food for a change of protein, both Primal and Natures Variety make raw Venison for cats, and all of my cats consider this their favorite,… even more so than rabbit, which was their favorite before they tasted Venison…..Lol