Memorial Day: a day of remembrance

cat_collage

To live in hearts we leave behind is not to die. ― Thomas Campbell

Today is Memorial Day in the United States, a day when we honor the memory of the men and women who have died in military service.

For many people, it’s also a day to remember all departed loved ones, and for most of us, that includes our beloved felines. I’m remembering Amber, Buckley and Feebee today. All three of them changed my life in ways I never could have imagined. I miss them every day, and I treasure the legacy they’ve left behind.

As you remember your lost loved ones today, please take a moment to recognize the sacrifices of our military personnel and thank them for their service. I hope you enjoy this heart-touching slideshow of soldiers with cats:

Who are you remembering today? Please share your memories in a comment.

17 Comments on Memorial Day: a day of remembrance

1. Savannah NanaMo
    May 29, 2012 at 5:57 pm (5 years ago)

We always remember the fallen soldiers…but most close to home for us is our lost cats and dogs…9 cats and 3 Sibes have gone OTRB during our 35 year marriage…and now we have been saved by Ms Savannah and her Paw Tracks…

2. Glogirly and Katie
    May 28, 2012 at 5:58 pm (5 years ago)

I’m remembering my dad, a US Marine, who fought on Iwo Jima. He was and will always be my hero. I’m also thinking of my stepson who is currently a US Marine on deployment. Be safe. XO

…and all the precious loved ones I’ve lost. Some with fur and some without.
    Glogirly

What a beautiful post, Ingrid.

May 28, 2012 at 7:54 pm (5 years ago)

Debbie, I’m sending lots of good thoughts your stepson’s way – may he always be safe!

3. Joanne McGonagle
    May 28, 2012 at 5:23 pm (5 years ago)

Remembering my dear friend Ed, a WWII Veteran. He was amazing and the reason that we are Gracey’s parents. Thank you for this wonderful post Ingrid.

May 28, 2012 at 7:53 pm (5 years ago)

I’m glad you enjoyed the post, Joanne, and thank you for sharing it.

4. Cynthia Southern
    May 28, 2012 at 3:04 pm (5 years ago)

I remember all the brave soldiers who fell defending America in every war. I also remember dear departed kitties and family members who I loved very much.

May 28, 2012 at 7:53 pm (5 years ago)

Thanks for sharing, Cynthia.

5. Peg
    May 28, 2012 at 2:08 pm (5 years ago)

Remembering my brother who graduated from the U.S. Naval Academy and served for many years, first in nuclear subs and later as a forensic marine engineer. He was active Navy during Vietnam and remained in the service, retiring when our troops were in the Middle East. He is buried at Arlington and I miss him…so much.

May 28, 2012 at 7:52 pm (5 years ago)

I’m so sorry about your brother, Peg. Thank you for introducing us to him.

6. Bernadette
    May 28, 2012 at 10:37 am (5 years ago)

Ingrid, you created a legacy for Buckley with your book and for Amber with this blog, we’ve gotten to know Feebee and the world knows Allegra and Ruby, they live in many hearts, all so fitting with your quote. Thanks for sharing the video too.

May 28, 2012 at 7:51 pm (5 years ago)

Thank you for your beautiful words, Bernadette.

7. Caren Gittleman
    May 28, 2012 at 8:56 am (5 years ago)

loved the video. We always here about how dogs have an influence on soldiers but we rarely get to hear/see about the cats.

May 28, 2012 at 7:51 pm (5 years ago)

I’m glad you enjoyed the video, Caren. It was hard to find something with cats!

8. Jay
    May 28, 2012 at 8:26 am (5 years ago)

I think back on last year. So glad I got to meet Eric and Steeler.

May 28, 2012 at 7:50 pm (5 years ago)

I, too, was thinking about Eric and Steeler, and of course, Bernie, today.

9. Marg
    May 28, 2012 at 7:09 am (5 years ago)

We are remembering all the brave soldiers that fought all the wars. They are so important. And we are remembering all the kitties and doggies that have gone to the bridge. We have many animals in our family that have gone to the bridge and we are remembering all of them too. Happy Memorial Day.

May 28, 2012 at 7:50 pm (5 years ago)

I know you have a lot of furry family members who have crossed over, Marg. I hope you had a good day despite the sad memories.