Conscious Cat

March 21, 2012 20 Comments

Cats are good for your health

Posted by Ingrid

cat at window

In recent weeks, there have been numerous reports of cats who could detect serious illness in their humans, and who even saved their humans’ lives. We previously reported on a woman in Wisconsin whose newly adopted cat alerted a family member that she was having a seizure. There’s a cat in England who “diagnosed” her human’s breast cancer before doctors found it, and a cat in Virginia who saved her human from dying from a brain aneurism.

Several studies have shown dogs’ ability to distinguish people with both early and late cancers from healthy controls. It is believed that dogs can identify VOC’s (volatile organic compounds) that are present in a person’s breath who has cancer. Seizure dogs alert their owners to an impending epileptic seizure; how dogs do this is a mystery, but some trainers and researchers think they detect subtle changes in human behavior or scent before an episode occurs. I have not found any research done with cats, but I don’t think it’s too much of a leap to assume that cats would be as sensitive to changes in a human’s body chemistry as dogs – if not more so.

Cats and their humans often mirror each others’ physical and emotional states.  Cats are sensitive creatures as well as natural healers, and in my Reiki practice, I’ve sometimes seen them take on their human’s problems.  Because of the bond shared between cat and human in a close relationship, energetic imbalances may be shared as well. So why wouldn’t they also be able to detect illness before it manifests?

I find this topic particularly fascinating since I’ve always believed in the healing power of cats. The Chicago Tribune recently reported that a 10-year study at the University of Minnesota Stroke Center found that cat owners were 40 percent less likely to have heart attacks than non-cat owners. According to research discussed in this news report, people with pets save the Australian health service about $880 million per year and save Germany about $6.6 billion per year.

Those of us who share our lives with cats don’t really need scientific proof that cats are good for us, but isn’t it nice to know that they’re not only good for our emotional health, they’re also good for our physical health, and might even save our lives?

Have you had a purr-sonal experience with your cat either sensing that something was wrong, or helping you heal?

Photo Flickr Creative Commons

Best Website About Cats

Please click on the image above to vote for us for
Best Website About Cats
Last day to vote!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
FacebookTwitterGoogle+LinkedInPinterestShare

20 Responses to “Cats are good for your health”

1. Elizabeth says:

It’s true. Cats are very in tune with their person’s state. I had surgery last year and my orange tabby, Tigger, didn’t leave my side for days while I was recovering.

2. 1BUSYMAMA says:

Both times that I was pregnant my female cat was ALWAYS under my feet and in my lap. Usually she just wanted to lay close to you for lots of cuddling but with each pregnancy she was IN MY LAP every time I sat down. Actually, she is the one that alerted me to my 2nd pregnancy. :D

3. CSing says:

After working outdoors in extreme heat, I melted into the couch with heat exhaustion. I was out of it and wasn’t sure how to communicate clearly to my husband there was a problem. He realized there was a problem when my cat started walking and pawing all over me. Thanks to my cat, Louie, my husband went into action.

4. Esme says:

Thankfully I have not been ill, however my kitties are by my sad when I am sad, and no matter how hard a day it has been they always put a smile on my face and light a fire in my heart.

5. Sammy says:

As an animal communicator and reiki facilitator myself, I find myself humbled and in awe of the amazing healing powers of cats. Apart from all the numerous examples I have through my consultations, my own four cats each work on the different emotional imbalances that I and my family may go through naturally in any single day. I truly believe that our animals will physically manifest any illness that we may be heading towards, or physically manifest any emotional long-term imbalance that we may be feeling, creating such things as arthritis, digestive complaints etc. Thank you for a wonderful article. Love and light.

• Ingrid says:

The way our animals sometimes take on our own energetic imbalances to help us gives a whole new meaning to unconditional love, doesn’t it, Sammy?

6. Cats are just so sensitive and “tuned-in” to us….two of my cats have been with me through cancer treatment and stuck to me like glue throughout. It’s amazing but they just KNOW. I’m convinced my cats have been integral in my dealing with illness and healing from illness. Likewise, when my cat Sam is “under the weather” he seeks ME out – what a wonderful symbiotic relationship we have with our beloved cats!

Pam

7. Lee says:

I was diagnosed with pulmonary hypertension in 2007. My 2 yr old cat Roxie will sit on my chest at night if I am not breathing properly…to wake me up. I am supposed to be sleeping on my side but of course we don’t have much control over what happens when we are asleep. 16lb of cat on my chest definitely wakes me up. I just mentioned what Roxie doing to my doctor yesterday and he told me it’s a well known fact that cats will sense if their human is having a problem. S

8. susie says:

the story I want to share about cats is one that shows their sensitivity to each other, and their capacity to teach and to learn. I adopted a brother & sister, and soon they were galavanting in the courtyard, under my watchful eye. I blinked, and the female was waaaay up the tree, and the male was in the apartment, 3 floors up. midnight…dead winter…I started to reason with her, and explained how I thought she should proceed: “just drop face first – I’ll catch you, promise!”… she continued mewling desperately.
    suddenly, the little guy came running down the stairs, looked up the tree, and showed her how to get down. he did this by straddling the tree with all 4s, and zipped up and down 3 times. he sat back near me. she peered down, and butt first, she zipped down exactly like her brother, and they both ran up the stairs. it felt good to witness that.

9. Kally says:

My cat (“Lear”) has always been personable but not necessarily a cuddler by choice. A couple years ago, he began sleeping near my head and would nuzzle the side of my neck. It was such a weird experience for me but not unwelcome.

A few months after this began, I found a lump in my throat. I had it checked, assuming it was some sort of thyroid cyst (they run in the family), but we quickly discovered that I had Follicular Carcinoma, or Thyroid cancer. The treatment was easy but the aftereffects of having my thyroid removed were devastating. I was always cold, fatigued, and depressed by the inevitable weight gain. Lear has plastered to me since. He follows me all over the house, waits for me at the front door, and I’m told that when I I leave, he looks all over the house for me.

Wonderful cat.

• Ingrid says:

Thank you for sharing your story, Kally. I had heard of cats being able to detect cancer, but it still amazes me every time I hear of one. Best wishes to you as you cope with the after effects of your surgery. I’m glad you have Lear to help you through it.

10. susan says:

10 years ago I had a hysterectomy. on the third day after my surgery I was lying on my bed on my side in a lot of pain. My maine coone cat Charlie got into bed with me and stretched out along my abdomen his back flat against me. His warmth felt so good! He stayed like that with me for 4 hours. He had never done that before nor has he since. When he left all the pain and discomfort of the surgery had left and I was back to work in 6 weeks rather than 8. I knew than he was a healer!

11. Patti says:

My 2 year old cat, Yeti, is always kneeding at either my neck groin region depending on looking at me. He seems to sense when I have a headache, or a reoccurance of a ovarian cyst. I am 10 years in remmission from cancer. I didn’t have him then, but he knows that when I am hurting from the cyst, he tries to massage the pain away, though he doesn’t quite get at the back of my neck for the tension headaches that he senses. He just knows when I’m in pain