Chemotherapy for Cats

Feebee cat in blue chair

While cancer in cats is not as common as it in dogs, it is still one of the leading causes of death in older cats. According to the Animal Cancer Foundation, 6 million cats will be diagnosed with cancer in the United States along. And because cats are masters at masking illness, it is often harder to detect.

Cancer used to be a death sentence for cats, but recent advances in feline cancer research have made treatment possible in many cases. Just like with human cancers, early detection is key to successful treatment.

Treatment options for cats are almost as varied as treatment options for human cancers, and will depend on the type of cancer. Surgery is the most common treatment for any lumps or growths that need to be removed. In some cases, surgery can be curative. Other cancers may require chemotherapy or radiation.

How chemotherapy works

Chemotherapy uses drugs with the objective to kill cancer cells with the least possible amount of damage to normal, healthy cells. In human medicine, the goal of chemotherapy is to achieve a cure. In cats, chemotherapy is aimed at controlling the disease and achieving a period of remission for the cat. Chemotherapy is typically used for cancers that affect multiple sites. Lymphoma is the most common form of feline cancer that is treated with chemotherapy. The drugs used in veterinary chemotherapy are frequently the same drugs used in human medicine.

Most cats tolerate chemotherapy well

Most cats tolerate chemotherapy well. Some cats may experience side effects such as vomiting, diarrhea or poor appetite, but these side effects are usually mild and can be managed with supportive care. Only a very small number of cats on chemotherapy will require hospitalization due to the side effects of chemotherapy. Unlike humans, cats will not lose all their hair. Most cats will lose their whiskers, and shaved hair will be slow to grow back, but substantial hair loss is uncommon.

Support your cat’s immune system

It is important to support your cat’s immune system while she is undergoing chemotherapy. One of the foundations of a healthy immune system is diet. Typically, veterinarians recommend a high protein, low carb, moderate fat diet for pets with cancer. A high quality grain-free canned diet will probably be your best choice for your feline cancer patient.

Even though I’m a proponent of raw feeding, I’m on the fence as to whether raw diets are appropriate for cats with cancer. On the one hand, there are numerous anecdotal reports of miracle cures when pets with cancer were fed a raw diet, on the other hand, I don’t know whether feeding a raw diet to an immunocompromised pet is necessarily a good idea. Check with a veterinarian who is familiar with raw feeding whether a raw diet is appropriate for your cat while she is undergoing chemotherapy.

Supplements and herbs

Supplements and herbs can provide immune system support during treatment. Probiotics not only help maintain a healthy gut flora, but also boost the immune system. Anti-oxidants and increased amounts of omega-3-fatty acids may also be indicated. Check with your veterinarian to determine which supplements are indicated for your cat.

Supportive therapies such as acupuncture, Reiki or other forms of energy healing can support your cat through her treatment. These therapies will not interfere with conventional medical treatment.

How will you know whether chemotherapy was successful?

A cat in remission doesn’t look any different from a cancer-free cat. Typically, a successful remission means that lymphnodes will go down to normal size, and if there were any signs of illness that were related to the cancer, they will disappear. Remission can last anywhere from weeks to months, and for some lucky cats, even several years.

My personal experience with feline cancer

My first cat, Feebee, was diagnosed with intestinal lymphoma when he was 15 years old. He tolerated his chemotherapy protocol of a combination of Vincristine injections and oral Cytoxan and prednisone well. He would be a little subdued for about 24 hours following treatment. His appetite wasn’t that great during that period, and he slept a lot more than usual, but the rest of the time, his quality of life was good.

After seven months, he stopped responding to the chemotherapy. My vet gave me the option of continuing with more aggressive drugs with the potential for more severe side effects. I elected euthanasia. My little man confirmed that I made the right decision: he died in my arms while my vet was on the way to my house.

Being faced with a cancer diagnosis is a devastating blow for cat parents. Making a decision about treatment is as individual as the affected cat and her human. There are no hard and fast rules. The ultimate goal of any decision is to provide good quality of life for the cat for as long as possible.

Have any of your cats undergone chemotherapy? What was your experience?

Photo ©Ingrid King

New Dr. Goodpet banner

585 Comments on Chemotherapy for Cats

1. Sharon
    September 14, 2016 at 8:36 am (2 weeks ago)

I posted on this comment section months ago regarding my cat Mork who had an inoperable cancerous tumor in his stomach. I am finally to a point where I can write about what happened.

I had to make the most difficult care decision for my friend of fourteen years on May 12, 2016. He stopped eating for several days beforehand, right after I had decided to stop putting him through the intravenous chemotherapy sessions. He came home from the last session frothing at the mouth, crazy in the eyes, and miserable. I decided then and there that I had taken it too far, and that the best thing to do for Mork at that point was palliative care. Mork had tolerated six months of intravenous chemotherapy at that point, and it did not appear that the cancer was in remission. I felt like I was doing it for me because I did not want to let him go. I had to come to grips that what was best for Mork was to let him live the remaining days of his life at home with his family. It was not a decision I made lightly, and it broke my heart. A few days after my decision, Mork refused to eat and started hiding behind the couch which he never did prior in the fourteen years I’d lived with him.

I was fortunate to find a vet who does home visits. It was some comfort to me that Mork’s final moments were spent on his blanket at our house in my arms. Right up until his final moments, I was not sure I was making the right decision. Deciding to end his life remains one of the hardest decisions I’ve had to make.

My heart and sympathy goes to all who are battling cancer with their beloved cats. I know exactly how it feels to ride the roller coaster that is living life with a pet with a cancer diagnosis. My best advice would be to cherish every moment you have with your pet. Make a conscious effort to spend extra time with your pet while you can. Up until about two weeks before May 12, I thought I had much more time with Mork. If I had known the end was so close, I would have spent much more time snuggling with him.

Something I read that helped me when the time came to send Mork to the rainbow bridge went something like this: Take heart that you are sparing your pet more suffering by transferring that suffering onto you. I know that Mork was suffering in the last week of his life, and now he is at peace. His biological sister Mindy and I miss him every day.

• Jo
      September 14, 2016 at 9:30 am (2 weeks ago)

What you did for your kitty was the final act of love and kindness. Quality of life, not quantity, is what counts. I read somewhere something that goes like “do not measure life in the number of breaths you take, but in the moments that take your breath away”. You did absolutely the right thing. I am just starting this cancer journey with my kitty. I pray every day that I am doing the right thing. Take care.

• Sharon
        September 14, 2016 at 11:56 am (2 weeks ago)

Thank you for your kind words, Jo. I appreciate it.

You and your kitty are in my thoughts. I know how tough it is to know if you are making the right choices. All you can do is what you think is best at the moment with the information you have. It is hard. Your cat is lucky to have someone as thoughtful as you to provide care.

• Jo
          September 14, 2016 at 12:13 pm (2 weeks ago)

Thank you, Sharon. 🙁

September 14, 2016 at 4:44 pm (2 weeks ago)

I’m so sorry about Mork, Sharon. I’m glad his final moments were peaceful. Be gentle with yourself as you mourn your beautiful boy.

2. Anthony D'Agostino
    September 13, 2016 at 3:59 pm (2 weeks ago)

First time viewing, and a new adoptive parent of a beautiful cat, which was rescued last month. We adopted her, knowing that she had cancer. The original owner failed to even have the cat examined, so desperate times called for desperate measures. We helped coordinate the rescue late at night, with our vet not standby to treat/examine the obvious and growing head wound that had been there festering for more than six months.

Even though she is not our cat, and we are in no way responsible for her care, we choose to adopt her anyway, and we will undertake the financial burden, which we can’t really afford right now, and the emotional burden as well. She has been with us at home for just over two weeks, we fell in love with her instantly. She is still in quarantine, since we have no idea if she has been vaccinated and we can’t risk her spreading anything to the other 30+ rescues we have under our care. Even in her new surroundings, which aren’t perfect, yet, she is so loving and sweet, craving for affection. We give her all we can, while trying to maintain her from spreading anything, either from her or too her. Since we have so many other cats/kittens around, some new and still in their early days following their vaccinations, it’s still a dangerous time for all. She can’t be vaccinated yet, as her health and upcoming chemo would wipe out any vaccinations she gets today, we have to wait until she rebounds from the final round of chemo before she gets vaccinated. We don’t even know how old she is, which makes it that much more difficult. From age 2 through age 15, they all look the same, so it is anybody guess at her actual and.

Anyway, I hope that we can handle the stress and pain of chemo for kitties, it’s a new experience for us, and we have had so many other cats pass away recently from other problems, it scares us a lot. We have no ability to refuse to help, and we wouldn’t change our decision to get involved, it just is very scary for anyone to face cancer, but even more so since we have already had more heartache these past 6 months, than a normal heart could ever endure.

September 14, 2016 at 5:40 am (2 weeks ago)

You are a very special person for adopting this kitty and being committed to do whatever it takes to help her. All my best to you!

• dovemck
      September 14, 2016 at 6:24 am (2 weeks ago)

okay – it’s important to say – you’re wonderful for doing this. Now, let’s get to the kitty. I don’t know what kind of cancer and I don’t know what regime you’re using – but generally – chemo is pain free except for a needle prick. Again, depending on the regime, there will be days where she will have to be isolated and you’ll need gloves to empty litter boxes etc. Most people here seem to be in the US which has a number of days or alternate days on without break. This might make it a bit tougher for you. See if they will try the method employed here in Australia where we do some chemo for a few days running and then take a few days to weeks in between. Again, it will depend on whether you’re doing oral or IV. (IV is the more intense, more powerful type and used for more difficult or advanced cancers).

Perhaps the real thing you want to start getting your head around – the goal in cats is to get cancer into remission – not cure it. If you’re VERY lucky, you’ll add a couple years to their lives.

At the very least, prednisolone for palliative care.

for us, Leukeran (Chlorambucil) had been a top notch drug. Our cat has gained weight on it and is happy and attentive. I would never hesitate to give chemo to cats after this experience.

• Jamie S
      September 14, 2016 at 7:25 am (2 weeks ago)

Just reading this brings in so many emotions! Thank you so much for helping this little one. They all deserve a chance. I found that chemo in animals is not nearly as stressful as it is with people. They tend to tolerate it much better. With Munch, we had a little bit of vomiting 3-4 days after chemo, but that was once and she was done. She would get a little tired right after coming home from chemo, bit was back to her antics in no time. I think the hardest thing to get used to was her increased appetite. It didn’t matter what it was, she needed to always be eating. Sometimes up to 3 cans of food a day. Good quality food is so important as most carbs fuel cancer cells. I wish you all the best with the little Angel. Thank you again for helping her. The rewards so outweigh the stresses of it.

• Jo
      September 14, 2016 at 9:12 am (2 weeks ago)

You are a kind, generous soul… best of luck to you. Cats need people like you. I find it hard enough caring for one cancer kitty plus my other two; I hope you have good help and resources along the way.

• Kelly
      September 14, 2016 at 11:21 am (2 weeks ago)

I posted back in June about my fur baby Duke who had been diagnosed with Hemangiosarcoma, a blood cell cancer. Unfortunately, he died on Monday. I rescued him when he was a couple of months old, and he lived an amazing spoiled life with me. When he was diagnosed, I promised him we would fight this disease together. He did an IV chemotherapy every 3 weeks, vitamin B12 shots, I’m Yunity supplement, omega 3 oils, tumeric, ozone therapy, and a new carb free diet. We gave it our best shot, and on Monday, he finally seemed to give me the okay that it was time to let go. Remember, you’re giving this baby all the love and care you can. The results are not determined by you, and you’ve already changed this kitty’s life. Best of luck to you guys. Sending lots of hugs and prayers your way.

September 14, 2016 at 4:45 pm (2 weeks ago)

I’m so sorry about Duke, Kelly.

3. Jo
    September 7, 2016 at 5:24 pm (3 weeks ago)

News flash 30 minutes later… Eloise passed stool, but it was 75% diarrhea / 25% formed. She didn’t go to litter box, but behind door of little sewing room in basement. Earlier this summer, she started having ‘mishaps’ in that same spot. We thought she was annoyed by the other cats in house. Then she was diagnosed w/small cell lymphoma. Her mishap today makes me think she wasn’t feeling well and associated the litter box… so she went for behind the door. I’m just glad she passed stool, but will contact vet tomorrow with this update. This is wearing on me. Anyone remember when all you needed for your cat was a flea collar and a pack of Tender Vittles? (tired sarcasm) oy…

September 8, 2016 at 5:37 am (3 weeks ago)

I’m glad she passed stool, too, even if it wasn’t quite what you had hoped for, Jo. I know it’s exhausting caring for a cat with cancer!

• Jo
        September 8, 2016 at 9:03 am (3 weeks ago)

Thanks, Ingrid. Yes, very exhausting. I’s been 6 weeks since she was diagnosed but I feel like it’s been forever.
        🙁
        I’ll keep it up as long as Eloise is willing … and I appreciate having this site to check for input and advice from others going thru same.

4. Jo
    September 7, 2016 at 4:12 pm (3 weeks ago)

It’s me again, about a week since I last commented. My cat, Eloise, on flagyl and prednisone 2xday and chlorambucil every other day for small cell lymphoma… hasn’t had a bowel movement in about 48 hours! Today is Wednesday and my vet’s office is closed. Not sure if I should call this in as an ’emergency’ and see what he has to say or wait until the morning and get an appointment. Other than being quiet, Eloise seems not to be in distress. She ate and nibbled and I gave her some pumpkin and home made chicken broth. No trip to the litter box yet. I’m stressing… comments?

• Kelly
      September 7, 2016 at 5:11 pm (3 weeks ago)

The vet told me to use Miralax. I dissolve a 1/4 tsp, and syringe it. Maybe ask the ER vet what they think?

• Jo
        September 8, 2016 at 8:58 am (3 weeks ago)

Thanks, Kelly. I have another cat (Maxine) who has obstipation (a few degrees higher than constipation) and she’s on Miralax twice a day mixed in food. My cancer cat, Eloise, is on several meds so I was hoping not to have to throw in another. ugh. She did pass stool later on, so I’ll see what the next 24 hours bring. All my cats hate going to the vet, so hope I don’t have to stress Eloise with an unnecessary trip. 🙁 Thanks for your advice, though. Glad I joined this site.

5. Jo
    August 30, 2016 at 4:35 pm (4 weeks ago)

My 11 year old cat, Eloise, has small cell lymphoma and starts her 6th chemo pill, Chlorambucil, tonite. So far, she’s on flagyl – to calm any tummy inflammation – and prednisone 2x day…chemo pill every other day. Blood work done yesterday, 1 month post surgery, so don’t know how long the pill regimen will remain the same. I’m reading conflicting reports on how long I can expect my kitty to be with me… was hoping she’ll see spring flowers one more time, at least. Anyone have similar situation, experience? P.S. I’ve found that putting pills in ‘pill pockets’ and then covering w/canned food seems to work well so far (except for chemo pill; have to give manually, wearing latex gloves).

• dovemck
      August 31, 2016 at 7:38 am (4 weeks ago)

Boofy is on a very different chemo regime – It’s a three week cycle, prednisone 5mg every day. Days 1 – 4 she gets two chlorambucil and on day 19 she gets her blood test. We’re going into round 8 this weekend – blood test tomorrow so we’ve been doing this for 6 months now and she is happy, gained weight and looks great. It’s believed that most of the cancer is in remission except the liver.

Her liver enzymes are still high but we’re trying denocyl – a liver tonic this round, hoping to see some change. After the next three weeks we’ll have to make a decision which will likely include a sedated ultrasound guided liver biopsy to see if there’s cancer there or if the liver is still healing and without cancer. We will then choose whether to continue chlorambucil (probably not), try a different drug (probably) or continue with prednisone and wait for a recurrence (I don’t like the sound of that).

My original vet told me back in March that Boofy would probably be gone by now and she couldn’t have been more wrong. I have little doubt we will hit the ‘average’ two years survival mark (knock wood) and my current vet is impressed with her rude good health (other than the liver enzymes!)

So yes, I think you should remain hopeful for spring flowers. My girl is 13 and I’m mentally preparing myself for the fact she’s not likely to reach 17.

I hope and pray you beat the odds. All the best to you and Eloise.

• Jamie S
        August 31, 2016 at 7:48 am (4 weeks ago)

When we were having troubles with Munch and her liver values, our vet asked if we could try something that works well in dogs, it is safe for cats, but only has a 40% (or so) success rate. The injection was L-asparaginase. We also did 4 weeks of vitamin B. Best of luck to you and you baby!

• dovemck
          August 31, 2016 at 8:01 am (4 weeks ago)

We’re seeing the vet in the morning so I’ll suggest the L-asparaginase. We’re at the point where a 40% chance of getting something going in that liver of hers sounds pretty darn good. We also did the B-12 for the first few weeks and were able to discontinue. She’s gained 1.4 kg in 6 months – about three pounds. She’s absorbing food alright.

• Jo
      August 31, 2016 at 9:46 am (4 weeks ago)

Thank you for your input and insight, dovemck. Eloise’s blood results came back good (white cell count perfect / red cell perfect) so vet said to continue this regime, come back in 3 weeks. I like my vet, he’s not very aggressive, very patient… but he’s not an oncologist vet… ye he did consult with oncology vet where Eloise had her surgery (3 inches of small intestine removed). I always 2nd guess myself – and I have very little patience. ugh…

• Jo
      August 31, 2016 at 9:49 am (4 weeks ago)

P.S. all the best to you and Boofy! such a sweet name. 🙂

• Kelly waters
        August 31, 2016 at 9:59 am (4 weeks ago)

Don’t give up hope! The surgical team bumped into Duke last week while we were at the vet, and couldn’t believe he was the same cat. (They didn’t expect him to survive surgery). At first, I lived every day like it was his last, and only left the house to go to work. I realized that was no way for either of us to live. The best advice I got was from a fur mom on Instagram who told me, “the best thing you can do for your cat is to take care of yourself.”
        Prayers for your kitty!

• Jo
          August 31, 2016 at 11:17 am (4 weeks ago)

Kelly, you are so right…I am taking care of myself, although Eloise comes first (but thank goodness for wine at nite, for me!). I’ve cancelled little trips away because I only trust myself with caring for Eloise, and the vet bills have bloomed. At best, I can enjoy the aforementioned wine, while curled up in front of the TV. Often, Eloise curls up with me, so it’s worth the sacrifice. Thanks for your encouraging words.

• Kelly
            August 31, 2016 at 11:49 am (4 weeks ago)

Wine and weekends in with good girlfriends has definitely helped. I’ve cancelled some trips as well, and can completely understand the vet bills. (I call him my million dollar baby) My Mom did have to come babysit while I went on a work trip, and I’m not sure who was more traumatized, my Mom or Duke. (He was being naughty and wouldn’t take his meds). I would encourage you to look into a holistic vet as well. Dukes oncologist wouldn’t recommend any supplements, but recommended a holistic vet. He’s taking I’m Yunity, omega 3’s, and tumeric. I mix it into the BFF gravy pouch.

• Jo
            August 31, 2016 at 12:21 pm (4 weeks ago)

Nearest holistic vet is 40 min. away (own vet is less than 5 min., thankfully). May look into it, tho… thanks for the insight! Hope we can all enjoy a cozy, stress free holiday weekend with our fur babies. (You should invite your mom over for wine, too; she was brave to kitty sit for Duke.) 🙂

6. Angie
    August 19, 2016 at 9:54 pm (1 month ago)

Wow great website. Our cat Monet just had surgery for radical mastectomy last Tuesday. We just started our first round of chemo today with Adriamycin and Cytoxan. This is our 2nd round of surgery since May 2015. Out vet felt surgery went well however the BB size pellets located further in the upper armpit were in muscle and could not be all removed. She’s such a sweet and affectionate cat (aren’t they all!), but seems to be getting back to her self. I’m open to any advice for feeding, supplements and advice anyone has. Has anybody used and of the Wellbeing Cancer care supplements?
    Looking forward to hearing from others and prayers to those on the board with cats that are ill. Thank you!

• Dovemck
      August 20, 2016 at 8:09 am (1 month ago)

All the best to sweet Monet and to you too. Our journey is so different from yours that I can’t offer much more than sympathy and best wishes. My Boofy has small cell lymphoma (GI) and on round 7 Leukeran, doing well but liver enzymes still stupid high. She may have liver cancer but it’s acting atypical. We’re using Denosyl atm which is prescription liver tonic. I too would love to hear how others have done with supplements to support prescribed treatment.

• Kelly Waters
      August 20, 2016 at 2:48 pm (1 month ago)

My Duke was diagnosed with Hemangioscarcome at the end of June. Hes taking I’m Yunity (turkey tail mushrooms), tumeric (natural inflammation reducer), and omega 3 fish oil. We’ve changed him over to a clean diet, trying to be grain free. (Carbs feed cancer) Hes also doing ozone therapy once a week, except on weeks he does chemo. (Every 3 weeks). I asked his oncologist about trying eastern medicine and she was so hesitant. She sent us to a vet she’s knows who practices eastern medicine. Between the 2 doctors, I feel like there’s no stone we haven’t turned.

• Kelly Waters
      August 20, 2016 at 2:50 pm (1 month ago)

Also, don’t be surprised if your fur baby starts losing whiskers. My oncologist prepared me for it, but said it’s pretty rare. Duke only has about 5 long ones left, but everyone has reassured me they’ll grown back.

• Angie
      September 22, 2016 at 11:11 pm (3 days ago)

Wanted to provide a quick update on Monet. 2nd treatment of chemo last week went well. Vet however was concerned she had lost a pound in the last 30 days. Seems cancer can not help when trying to absorb nutrients in food quickly enough. Oncologist prescribed food enhancing meds which we add to food each day. We’ve switched to a higher quality wet food with Pro Plan that she likes. Feeding her up to 2 cans some days and 1 the others depending on her appetite. Also trying fresh chicken and fish and pretty much anything we healthy we can feed her. Back on the internet tonight reviewing other supplements and anyone used Ark Naturals NuPet Cat Antioxidant? I’m interested if anyone is using a combination of supplements that are working. I can relate with many of you. 2nd cat we’d had with cancer and the last one was too late and area untreatable. Between stressed for our kitty, we’re trying to be both optimistic and realistic..some days hard to choose. Overall she’s acting normal other than sleeping a bit more, but still the most affectionate cat I’ve ever had than owned my heart.

7. Jamie S
    July 15, 2016 at 6:40 pm (2 months ago)

Hi! So glad I found this. Our Munch has been diagnosed with large granular lymphoma. We haven’t been able to find a lot of information on it, and apparently it is rare in cats and is relatively aggressive. We are fortunate to have an animal oncologist about an hour away so we can try to help her beat this. We are fighting so hard for her, and she has been a real trooper through it all. She has been poked and prodded more than anything or anyone should. My husband and I are mentally exhausted waiting for phone calls/lab work and vet appointments. Recently Munch has started losing her fur. Everything I read says she shouldn’t. Is that something to be concerned with? Just wait until her next appointment? These are the things we worry about all day. The good news is, she is relatively young. Only 9 yrs old. She eats so much. I’ve been told that is a good thing. She is rating almost 2 full cans of food a day. We have been giving her earthborn holistic food. And basically anything else she wants. Has anyone else had experience with this form of cancer in cats? We are open to any suggestion to help her through this. We love her so much and can’t imagine life without her.

July 16, 2016 at 5:34 am (2 months ago)

It’s rare that cats lose their fur during chemo, so definitely mention this to your oncologist. My experience with my own cat was that while he didn’t lose his fur, the hair in the areas that were shaved for ultrasounds never grew back (he had intestinal lymphoma and lived for seven months post diagnosis with a chemotherapy protocol of Vincristine and Leukeran.) All my best to you and Munch.

• Wendy K
      August 30, 2016 at 1:53 am (4 weeks ago)

Don’t give up! Please feel free to email me. My cat Lily was diagnosed with large grade multicentric lymphoma, also aggressive and rare. She did five months of chemo and was in full remission three months in. Diagnosed in October of 2013, and still cancer free today. She is currently dealing with some kidney issues unrelated to the lymphoma (she is 15 1/2) but we were blessed with three more years when it could have been a guarantee death sentence.

• Jamie S
        August 31, 2016 at 7:57 am (4 weeks ago)

I tried to reply to this yesterday, but it never showed up. Thank you for your encouragement. We would have never given up on our Munch. She unfortunately was too smart for her own good. On 8/21 she opened the back door and let herself and one of her fur-sisters out. While it looked like Munch was on her way back to the house, I seen one of the smaller cats. I tried to get her, but munch wandered to our neighbors yard. Their dog was out and it attacked and killed her. There is not a moment that we don’t miss her. She was supposed to have an ultra sound to see if she was in remission. Now we will never know. We love and miss her and can only hope she enjoyed her life with us as much as we enjoyed it with her.

• Wendy Kruger
          August 31, 2016 at 1:18 pm (4 weeks ago)

How awful! I am so sorry for your loss. 🙁 I can’t imagine how much you miss her–so sad.

August 31, 2016 at 1:22 pm (4 weeks ago)

Oh Jamie, I’m so sorry! What a traumatic way to lose her after everything you went through with her. My heart goes out to you.

• Angie
          September 22, 2016 at 11:15 pm (3 days ago)

My condolences in losing your sweet kitty. I would be heartbroken but she must know truly how much you loved and adored her!

• Jo
        August 31, 2016 at 1:51 pm (4 weeks ago)

Jamie, my condolences. How traumatic. poor baby. Please know kitty is safe and happy now and feeling wonderful, even those left behind are devastated. 🙁

8. dovemck
    July 7, 2016 at 8:13 am (3 months ago)

I haven’t tried any supplements and Boofy is still leaking liver enzymes. We’re on a strong course of clav /antibiotics until the next round of pill chemo. I’m interested to hear what a holistic vet recommends. Please keep us posted on your journey.

9. Adrienne
    July 6, 2016 at 12:48 pm (3 months ago)

My situation is similar to Kristy’s. Midge had a tumor removed from his lower intestine in May, rebounded fantastically, and had his first four chemo treatments without incident. Took a week off, had a session last week with Vinscristine and totally crashed. He is right now in the hospital on IV fluids. I don’t know whether he has sores in his mouth/ throat but he won’t eat or drink. Lost all the weight he put on in the last month. The vet doesn’t know whether it’s a really bad reaction or whether the lymphoma has returned. So upsetting. I have returned to this board a number of times over the past month, and thank everyone here for the info sharing and support.

July 6, 2016 at 4:16 pm (3 months ago)

I’m so sorry to hear this, Adrienne. All my best to you and Midge!

• dovemck
      July 7, 2016 at 8:09 am (3 months ago)

Kepping both of you in my thoughts.

• Adrienne
        July 7, 2016 at 1:56 pm (3 months ago)

Thank you Ingrid & “dove”. Sadly, the vet did bloodwork and Midge’s kidneys have failed. I don’t know whether this was due to the chemo or not. A couple of months ago he had the beginnings of CRF but nothing alarming. We don’t believe he will pull out of this crash, as his body temp is falling. We are on our way shortly to see him over the bridge and out of pain. Again, thanks to all who make this a wonderful resource for us cat lovers. x/ A

• Dovemck
          July 7, 2016 at 8:59 pm (3 months ago)

Run free Midge, still young and beautiful. Give my love to Nessa who will undoubtedly show you the best sunny spots to nap in shadow of the rainbow bridge.

July 8, 2016 at 5:43 am (3 months ago)

Oh Adrienne, I’m so sorry.

10. Kelly
    July 6, 2016 at 12:40 pm (3 months ago)

My sweet 11 year old tabby, Duke, was diagnosed with Hemangiosarcoma last Wednesday. He was fine, and then one day started hiding and couldn’t walk. After 2 consecutive days at the pet ER, the doctors found a mass in his colon. We had it removed on the 24th, which is when the doctors found out the mass had been bleeding. Duke had a blood transfusion the next night. (This was super scary, because he’s a rare blood type and no one in Sacramento had his blood. Thank God for blood banks.) He has been recovering at home ever since. He was a little tired at first, but he has his appetite back, and is using the bathroom just fine. Tomorrow, we start chemotherapy, and I’m very torn about the decision I’ve made. There’s not a lot of research or information on felines with Hemangiosarcoma, so Duke’s oncologist is reluctant to try out any type of supplements. I’ve gone ahead and made an appointment with a holistic vet, which was recommended to me by a fellow cat Mom, I found on instagram, going through the same thing. The more information I can get on this cancer would be greatly appreciated.

July 6, 2016 at 4:16 pm (3 months ago)

I’m sorry about Duke, Kelly. All my best to both of you, and please keep us posted.

• Kelly
        July 9, 2016 at 1:30 pm (3 months ago)

Duke had his first round of doxorubicin chemotherapy last week, and he handled it like a champ. The new ultrasound showed thickening of intestines, which could be inflammatory bowel disease or swelling from his surgery. The Oncologist has recommended a different Integrative Medicine specialist. I have a consultation with the doctor on Wednesday. I believe they’re going to try acupuncture and ozone therapy. I will keep everyone posted.