I rescued a human today

Buckley's Story: Lessons from a Feline Master Teacher cat on sofa

I’ve always believed that animals come into our lives for a reason. They teach us about unconditional love. They help up open our hearts. And sometimes, they even save our lives.

The beautiful poem below makes the rounds on the web periodically, and every time I read it, it moves me to tears. I recently came across this version, slightly altered and adapted for cats, on Romeo the Cat’s blog, and wanted to share it with you today.

Her eyes met mine as she walked down the corridor
peering apprehensively into the cages.

I felt her need instantly and knew I had to help her.

I meowed, not too exuberantly, so she wouldn’t be afraid.

As she read the sign on my cage I hoped that she
wouldn’t feel sad about my past.

I only have the future to look forward to
and want to make a difference in someone’s life.

She got down on her knees and made little kissy sounds at me.

I shoved my shoulder and side of my head up
against the bars to comfort her.

Gentle fingertips caressed my neck;
she was desperate for companionship.

A tear fell down her cheek and
I raised my paw to assure her that all would be well.

Soon my cage door opened and
her smile was so bright that I instantly jumped into her arms.

I would promise to keep her safe.

I would promise to always be by her side.

I would promise to do everything I could
to see that radiant smile and sparkle in her eyes.

I was so fortunate that she came down my corridor.

So many more are out there who haven’t walked the corridors.

So many more to be saved. At least I could save one.

I rescued a human today.

Did your cat rescue you? Please share your stories!

Photo of Buckley, taken after she rescued me in 2006.

This poem was originally written by Janine Allen CPDT, Rescue Me Dog’s professional dog trainer. Janine’s passion is working with people and their dogs. She provides demonstrations for those who have adopted shelter dogs, lends email support to adopted dog owners that need information beyond our Training Support Pages, and aids shelter staff and volunteers in understanding dog behavior to increase their adoptability. Copyright 2011 Rescue Me Dog; http://www.rescuemedog.org/.

17 Comments on I rescued a human today

1. Katie
    August 13, 2011 at 12:26 am (6 years ago)

My rescued Maine Coon, Reggie, rescues me every day. He knows when I am sad, scared, not feeling well, or just need a hug. He has been my little buddy since the day we crossed each others’ paths last April, and I am thankful each day that he came into my life.

2. maru
    August 12, 2011 at 8:27 pm (6 years ago)

The cats in my life do that everyday, through little or huge details that make me aware of their love, and how wise, adorable and superior creatures they are.

August 12, 2011 at 8:51 pm (6 years ago)

And sometimes it’s the small things that can make the biggest impact.

• maru
        August 12, 2011 at 9:09 pm (6 years ago)

Indeed!

José Luis Borges -a great Argentinian writer and poet- loved cats, and in one interview he said some people used to say cats were not good companions, but they were so, and the example he gave was one of these big small things… when he was liying in bed, alone -he was blind- suddenly he felt a powerful jump and it was Beppo -his big white cat- who came to sleep by his side, and he perceived its presence like a protective god.

3. Bernadette
    August 12, 2011 at 4:05 pm (6 years ago)

They’ve all rescued me, each one has had their part in saving me from something or guiding me to something. I guess I’m one sorry human.

August 12, 2011 at 7:37 pm (6 years ago)

LOL Bernadette! Good thing you have so many of them to keep you on track!

• Al
      January 13, 2012 at 1:59 pm (6 years ago)

Bernadette:
      I do not think you are a sorry person at all. I need my 2 dogs and 2 cats also. They are such wonderful friends….

4. Pam
    August 12, 2011 at 2:55 pm (6 years ago)

Oh, yes. I have known the joy of being rescued by a cat. Her name was Shelley, a black/white tuxedo. She passed away in 2008, but there is hardly a day gone by that I don’t think of her.

All my other animals, it does seem that I rescued them, but Shelley, there is no question that she rescued me.

She appeared in my world, meowing and asking for pets, at a time when I was sure I wanted to have a (human) baby. I never had a baby, and do not regret that. My dear Shelley fulfilled what was needed, a warm little being to whom I could give all my love and affection, and who adored me, too. The “baby urge” was immediately gone.

Although I love all my current pets (feline and canine), I still miss Shelley.

August 12, 2011 at 7:36 pm (6 years ago)

Shelley sounds like she was a very special cat, Pam. I can see why you still miss her.

5. Dionne
    August 12, 2011 at 9:55 am (6 years ago)

Yes! Annie rescued me 🙂
    I had just moved into a house and was allowed to have a cat again. It only took be about 2 days to head to the Humane Society to bring home my new baby. I looked all over, took time with every kitty, but none of them called to me. As I was about to admit defeat, out came a beautiful ginger long-hair tuxedo and meowed me into submission! I hadn’t seen her because she was in the long-term care room (unadoptable) due to her lack of socialization. She had been an abused stray who was adopted 3 times before and returned due to lack of socialization. Well I just knew she had something in store for me. Many hours and a lot of blood later, we managed to get her in a carrier and I took my new boss home. Only when I finally let her out to explore she disappeared! I figured it would take some time, so I just let her be. For 2 weeks the only glimpse I got of her was an empty food bowl and used litter box. When she finally came out of hiding, it was another long hurdle, months, then years went by, every day giving her one more freedom in her security. Today 10 years later, she still doesn’t like too many other people, and still hides at a knock on the door. But when it’s just us…her motor purrs as hard as a Harley!! She has shown me patience, beauty, and the worth of hard work. She is now on borrowed time after her third stroke, but still follows me everywhere (in her lopsided drunken waddle) and keeps her Harley motor going just for me. I can’t imagine the day I am going to have to let her go. 🙁

August 12, 2011 at 11:42 am (6 years ago)

Your story moved me to tears, Dionne. Annie is so fortunate to have found someone like you who had the love, and patience, to let her become the cat she was meant to be.

6. caren gittleman
    August 12, 2011 at 8:12 am (6 years ago)

this poem ALWAYS makes me cry. It is exquisite. My Bobo was found as a stray. Cody, yes, was a rescue. I adopted him from an event that Petco had approx 2 wks after my Bobo passed.
    Cody’s first foster mama that worked for the rescue obviously adored him, she called him “Prince” so I call him “the cat formerly known as Prince” Believe it or not Cody wasn’t my “first” choice. His two litter mates were, both of whom wanted nothing to do with me. I decided to pick up Cody (who was merrily playing in his cage with his siblings) I picked him up, held him, I had never seen a cat who acted as if he never wanted to leave my arms. He only wanted to be held. I knew he was the ONE. He has been ever since.

August 12, 2011 at 11:40 am (6 years ago)

Obviously, you were Cody’s first choice, Caren – what a wonderful story of how he came to be with you.

7. Sammy, One Spoiled Cat
    August 12, 2011 at 7:13 am (6 years ago)

I think adopting a pet is the ultimate win/win for both parties……the unconditional love exchanged is a priceless gift. I’ve been so lucky to have had such wonderful and loving cat children in my life, many of which have been shelter rescues or ferals nobody wanted. This poem is a lovely tribute to the magical moment when eyes meet and bonds are formed that can happen between the open-hearted among us.

Pam and Sam

August 12, 2011 at 11:39 am (6 years ago)

“The magical magical moment when eyes meet and bonds are formed” – what a beautiful way to put it.

August 12, 2011 at 11:38 am (6 years ago)

Those humans can be a handful, Rumpy!