Japan’s Cat Island is safe

Cat Island Japan

As we’ve been watching the rescue and recovery efforts in Japan for the past ten days, trying to wrap our minds around the devastation, and desperately looking for some good news in the middle of all the bad news, cat lovers around the world have been anxiously waiting to find out what happened to the cats on Tashirojima, Japan’s Cat Island.

Conscious Cat reader Paula has been in touch online with a Japanese online site directly devoted to Tashirojima,  and she provided the following information earlier today:

“A girl whose friend returned from the island yesterday confirmed that while a few cats died (near the gatehouse), the others are okay. There are about 50 people left on the island, and they are said to have received food (both for the humans and the cats). It seems that when power and water will be restored, things will be fairly okay, all things considered.”

A few minutes ago, a volunteer from Japanese Earthquake Animal Rescue and Support, a coalition of Japan Cat Network, Heart Tokushima and Animal Friends Niigata, posted this update:

“I just got through to a representative at an NPO called Hiyokkori Hyoutan Tashirojima on the land phone, and ‘everybody, humans and animals, is safe.’ He said that it is the areas in Ishinomaki that need more help now! Food, water, everything is sufficiently supplied. It is the electricity that is still needed on the island. The kitties are all safe. With the kind of purity and reverence the residents have for our beautiful feline friends, the cats are being well taken care of by these beautiful people. I am so happy! This is direct from someone on the island. Safety confirmed!”

As we breathe a sigh of relief that the island cats are safe, please remember that there are still many animals that are lost and missing. Numerous rescue groups, including World Vets, are on the ground in Japan trying to save as many of them as they can, and they need your  help. For more information on how to help, please read Help the Animals in Japan.

Photo source: tofugu.com

15 Comments on Japan’s Cat Island is safe

1. Myriam
    March 22, 2011 at 8:12 am (6 years ago)

I ‘ m really happy. Thanks for these news! I have a cat and I know how friendly cats are. I still miss my cat Menina who died almost 3 years ago.

March 22, 2011 at 8:54 pm (6 years ago)

I’m sorry about your Menina, Myriam – I don’t think we ever stop missing our lost loved ones.

2. Layla Morgan Wilde
    March 21, 2011 at 11:33 am (6 years ago)

On a snowy spring day, boy is this welcome news.

March 21, 2011 at 5:25 pm (6 years ago)

I’m glad the news helped brighten your snowy day, Layla.

3. Barbarella
    March 21, 2011 at 9:43 am (6 years ago)

OMG that´s fantastic. But yes, we still got to remember all the other animals out there…. thanks for that update, Ingrid.

March 21, 2011 at 5:24 pm (6 years ago)

You’re welcome, Barbarella. If I find out additional information, I’ll update.

4. Marg
    March 21, 2011 at 7:54 am (6 years ago)

Thanks Ingrid for this great update. Just proves that miracles do happen.It is so great that many of the cats and people are just fine on the island. Also glad to hear that they got them some supplies.

March 21, 2011 at 10:51 am (6 years ago)

Hopefully, conditions will improve as time goes on and we’ll get more updates.

March 21, 2011 at 6:52 am (6 years ago)

If I hear anything more, I’ll add to this post, Mason.

• Dee
        March 13, 2012 at 2:10 pm (5 years ago)

Saw the island on Must Love Cst’s Animal Planet Network a woman and the Fisher men feel. Fed the cat’s and a vet checks on them leaves meds tor the sick kitties and vaccinates them.

March 13, 2012 at 2:18 pm (5 years ago)

I saw that segment, too, Dee. It looks like an amazing place.

3Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Japan’s Cat Island is safe

1. […] delighted that one of the episodes (I believe it is this Saturday’s) will feature Tashirojima, Japan’s Cat Island, where cats outnumber […]

2. […] March 20 Updates: Japan’s Cat Island is safe […]