7 Tips for a Healthy, Happy New Year for Cats and Their Humans

cat-clover-grass

Happy New Year to all of you!  Thanks to your support, The Conscious Cat is growing rapidly. We have some exciting new things in mind for the new year, and we’re looking forward to continue to bring you all the information you need to keep your cats (and yourself) happy and healthy.

The seven tips listed below will get your year off to a good start and help make this your best year yet, for you and your cats!

1.  Feed a species appropriate diet

Nutrition is the foundation for good health. Cats are obligate carnivores and they need meat to thrive.  If you’re not already feeding a raw or grain-free canned diet, consider making this the year you make the switch. Your cats will thank you for it. You’ll find a wealth of information on feline nutrition, and on how to switch your cat to a healthier diet, right here on The Conscious Cat.

2.  Regular veterinary check ups

The American Association of Feline Practitioners recommends a minimum of annual wellness examinations for all cats in its Feline Life Stage Guidelines. According to the guidelines, “semi-annual wellness exams are often recommended for all feline life stages by veterinarians and veterinary organizations.Their reasoning includes the fact that changes in health status may occur in a short period of time; that ill cats often show no signs of disease; and that earlier detection of ill health, body weight changes, dental disease, and so on, allows for earlier intervention.”

3.  Keep your cat’s teeth healthy

Dental disease is the most frequently diagnosed health problem for cats, and, if left untreated, can lead to serious health problems including heart, kidney and liver disease. For more on why good dental health is so important for your cat, click here.

4.  Regular playtime

Make time to play with your cats. Regular playtime will not only keep your cat happy, it’s also a wonderful time for you to bond with your cat, and it helps you relieve your stress. Additionally, it provides exercise for kitty. Interactive toys make playtime fun for both of you. Consider puzzle toys for the times when you can’t play with your cats.

5.  Meditate with your cat

The benefits of meditation for humans have been scientifically proven. It just so happens that cats make the ideal meditation companion. For more on how to meditate with your cat, click here.

6.  Educate yourself about cat health

You are your cat’s guardian when it comes to health issues, and the more you know, the better off your cat will be.  You can count on us to bring you the latest information on everything you need to know to keep your cats happy and healthy.

7.  Do something for less fortunate cats

Helping others is an integral part of a life well lived, and it’s good for your health.  Even though we’d like to be able to, we can’t save every cat in need of a home, but there are things you can do to help, from donating money to your favorite shelter, to fostering cats for a local rescue, to volunteering time at a shelter to give the cats some love and attention.

Tortitude banner for posts with border

15 Comments on 7 Tips for a Healthy, Happy New Year for Cats and Their Humans

1. municipal bond tax
    January 13, 2011 at 10:00 am (7 years ago)

I have a question on the “appropriate diet” that I am hoping that some veteran cat owners might be able to help me with. I have a cat that tends toward urinary tract issues. Is feeding him “specialty” dry food, or sticking with an all wet diet better for him? I have gotten mixed answers from two different vets. Also, if anyone uses the specialty urinary tract formula dry food, is there a brand that you would recommend? Thanks.

January 13, 2011 at 10:55 am (7 years ago)

Dry food is never appropriate for cats for any number of reasons, but especially not for cats with urinary tract issues. Cats need moisture in their diet, so yes, your cat would be much better off with an all canned grain-free or raw diet. I don’t like any of the veterinary diet formulations, they usually contain grains, soy, and corn and not enough high-quality meat to be considered appropriate for an obligate carnivore. I’d encourage you to work with a holistic vet to find a wholesome, species appropriate diet that works for your cat.

2. Bob Roberts
    January 5, 2011 at 1:02 am (7 years ago)

Great tips for healthy cats. Never thought about meditating with my cat. I know we’ve fallen asleep together on the couch. Maybe that counts. Lol.

January 5, 2011 at 9:33 pm (7 years ago)

Falling asleep together is probably therapeutic, too, Bob 🙂

3. Esme
    January 4, 2011 at 10:18 pm (7 years ago)

Great post-very informative and a good reminder to all of us.

January 5, 2011 at 9:32 pm (7 years ago)

Thanks, Esme – I know Penelope and Magellan are already the happiest kitties in the world, but maybe some of these will make them even happier 🙂

4. Ingrid
    January 3, 2011 at 3:04 pm (7 years ago)

Ha, I hadn’t even thought of that, Layla – a tip for each day of the week! Glad your gang approves.

5. Layla Morgan Wilde
    January 3, 2011 at 2:07 pm (7 years ago)

Hooray, tips for every day of the week. My fur gang gives their stamp of approval especially to #4, #5 and #7.

6. Marg
    January 3, 2011 at 10:02 am (7 years ago)

Great post Ingrid and all very important facts. I especially want to try to do more for the homeless animals. Good stuff. Take care.

January 3, 2011 at 3:04 pm (7 years ago)

Thanks, Marg. You already do so much for homeless animals!

7. Leslie Kaufman
    January 3, 2011 at 8:55 am (7 years ago)

Wonderful post, Ingrid. I can’t say enough as to why regular vet visits are a must for the responsible cat person. Oftentimes, I hear someone say, “oh my cat is very healthy,” but in all honesty, you just don’t know that because chances are, you are not palpating organs and listening to the cat’s heart and lungs. You are not taking blood and urine and establishing value baselines. And about keeping the mouth healthy – thank you for driving that home!

Educate, educate, educate. There is so much I do not know about feline health, but I learn every day. I’ll be damned if my vet prescribes meds for my cat and I don’t know the name of it or why it is being prescribed.

Lastly, to do something for a less unfortunate cat will warm your heart. Even if you do something as simple as sharing a post on Facebook about a cat in need of a loving home, you have done something positive.

Thanks, Ingrid, for your continued quality posts for our feline friends.

Happy New Year!

January 3, 2011 at 3:04 pm (7 years ago)

Thanks, Leslie, and thanks for sharing my posts on Facebook!

8. Max the Quilt Cat
    January 3, 2011 at 7:10 am (7 years ago)

What a great blog post. It covers so much. I’m gonna have HH come back and read all the supplemental information. Thanks.

pawhugs, Max

January 3, 2011 at 3:03 pm (7 years ago)

Thanks, Max – I hope it helps HH to read the extras.

1Pingbacks & Trackbacks on 7 Tips for a Healthy, Happy New Year for Cats and Their Humans

1. […] by Ingrid   In the year’s first post on this site, 7 tips for a healthy, happy new year for cats and their humans, item 7 is “do something for less fortunate cats.”  One of the ways I’m going to do that […]