The top 7 things about older cats

Guest Post by Dorian Wagner

Pimp is taking the spotlight because he has taught me some very important things through the years about why older cats are fabulous. (Don’t tell him I called him “old!” He’s not old yet, just a little bit on his way…)

Pimp is 11, and every single year he gets better and better. The longer he’s with me, the more love he shows and the more grateful I am that I have him. He’s taught me a lot in his 11 years — a lot of it recently.

I have always adopted kittens, but I’m starting to see why older cats deserve to be adopted, too, and maybe even more. They have so much love left to give. And so without further ado…

The Top 7 Things Pimp Wants You to Know About Older Cats

1. Old men are not dirty.
You know the stereotype about dirty old men? Doesn’t apply to older cats. He knows where his litter box is, and doesn’t need to be taught. He doesn’t raid the garbage can like rambunctious kittens and doesn’t knock over my red wine glass in a fit of flying kitten fur.

2. A little gray is sexy.
Don’t you dare tell Pimp his gray whiskers aren’t sexy. He’s one good lookin’ older dude! Maybe he’s not quite as shiny as he used to be, but he’s just as soft as ever… and just as cute.

3. Good food is one of the most important things in life.
(And so is good wine, but that’s for me, not Pimp. Ahem.) It’s crucial to feed your older cat good food, because their tummies are more sensitive. But seeing how much different food affects Pimp has taught me that even younger cats need good food. You are what you eat… and you want your cat to be good, right?

4. It’s not picky, it’s “particular.”
You don’t need every toy in the world. Just because some new gadget comes out or there’s some fancy new model, it doesn’t mean that what you have isn’t perfectly fine. Some of Pimp’s favorite toys are older than his brother, Moo, and he’d rather play with them than anything new and flashy I get him. He doesn’t ask for much.

5. A comfy bed is better than any flashy toy.
Adding to #4, older cats realize that there are more important things than how many toys are in your toy basket. I used to get Pimp mice every year for his birthday, and he loved them, but lately I’ve gotten him things to make him comfy — and he uses them way more than all his toys combined! Soft beds = 20 hours a day. Fun toys = 30 minutes. (Don’t worry, he still gets tons of toys!)

6. Peace and quiet is underrated.
Pimpy says relax. Older cats are content to just lie around, lounge and not create too much ruckus. You don’t have to entertain them (or else lose your nice curtains or favorite vase) and you don’t have to babysit them like kittens. They are easy and content to “just be”… so you can just be, too.

7. Love never stops growing.
Sure, your older cat may be done growing, and may actually be shrinking a little instead, but their heart somehow keeps expanding with more and more love. When Pimp looks at me, it’s with such love and adoration, and such happiness and sweetness. He knows he’s loved and he’ll always be taken good care of. He knows I’ll do whatever I can for him, for as long as he needs it. And he knows how lucky he is.

Older cats are extremely special. They often easily adjust to your home and don’t cause much trouble. If you have the room in your home and your heart, why not take a look at some of the senior pets in your area that need homes and go adopt one today. (Or tomorrow, Cute knows you may need a day to get their comfy bed and good food ready…)

Sure, they may need some extra care as they age (For the record – Pimp is going to live forever. I’ve already informed him of this.), but the love you’ll get in return and the fulfilling, incredible feeling you’ll get from taking care of them will give you a ton of joy.

Think of your grandma or grandpa — you would want them to be happy and comfortable in their sunset years, right? Older pets should have the same luxury!

Dorian Wagner is the creator of Your Daily Cute.

14 Comments on The top 7 things about older cats

1. Kristin
    November 14, 2010 at 2:42 am (7 years ago)

As my 14 year old cat, Mocha, is stretched out along my leg I can fully agree with your points about an older cat. My dear little one is so happy and looks at me with such love. He favorite thing in the world is to be one with my leg as often as possible LOL

Kristin – The Goat
    (via Saturday Sampling)

• Pamela
      November 11, 2016 at 1:14 am (11 months ago)

I know about that Love in our 2 year old ‘Siameese-Lilac Point’ Rosy ! She lays down wth me in th evenigs when were at rest, and she looks at me wth such Love and adoration ! She will actually take her paws an stroke my face an wth th other paw she will wrap it around my neck ! She KNOWS how to Love ! And I know how 2 return that Love !

2. Ingrid
    November 13, 2010 at 7:31 pm (7 years ago)

Gracey, you will never grow old!

Emily, the growing love between cat and human is the best part of loving an older cat, isn’t it?

Mrs444, I’m glad you enjoyed the post.

3. mrs4444
    November 13, 2010 at 7:00 pm (7 years ago)

I had a sneaking suspicion that Karen linked this up today, and I’m glad she did; these are excellent points! Our oldest cats were always our favorites. I sure miss our old Max. Even cranky Gus warmed up in his old age. The hard part about adopting older cats is that you never know if they are wetters. I wish there was a way to tell!

4. Emily Cullen
    November 13, 2010 at 10:05 am (7 years ago)

Great post about older cats. Just like a good marriage, your relationship with your cat grows stronger and so does the love. My baby is 13 and still has some kitten in her!

5. Ingrid
    November 10, 2010 at 6:42 pm (7 years ago)

Thanks for sharing this, Karen and Gerard.

Marg, I agree – old cats are make wonderful companions. And doesn’t Pimp make a perfect ambassador?

Candace, I know what you mean about adjusting to kittens being a challenge. I love my Allegra dearly, but I’d forgotten how energetic kittens can be!

Hani, you kitty sounds wonderful.

Tammy, I love that your seniors act like kittens!

6. Nicole Larson
    November 10, 2010 at 5:36 pm (7 years ago)

Wonderful post, Dorian! Let’s hear it for older pusses! Amy and Alexander are now seven, but forever kittens to me!

7. Tammy
    November 10, 2010 at 12:20 pm (7 years ago)

Our boys are all getting up there in years. My Oscar is 13, Ben and Henry are both 9. None of them act like they are older. They all race around like crazy men, play, love, etc. Oscar is having a bit more trouble jumping these days, but that’s about the only sign that he’s getting to be an old man! (He is grey to begin with, so his age isn’t showing much either!)

8. hani
    November 10, 2010 at 9:12 am (7 years ago)

thank you….i have a male cat already got his 12 yr old…my love for him doesnt change , even he had another brothers and sisters….and after read this…make me more…more…and more love him….cause now on i realise that he already ‘ gave ‘ all his life for me…to be my loving cat…always beside me…

9. Candace Elmore
    November 10, 2010 at 8:59 am (7 years ago)

I adopted Sophia at an estimated 5 years old, and she was one of the best cats I’ve ever loved. I adopted 2 kittens only because the mom was feral, and 3 of their littermates were killed. Adjusting to kittens again has been a challenge, but this article was a terrific reminder of my sweet Sophia.

10. Leslie Kaufman
    November 10, 2010 at 8:49 am (7 years ago)

Do you know I have never adopted a kitten? I have always rescued older cats in one way or another. I even adopted a 12 yr old who was thrown out of his house in the dead of NY winter, and another 12 year old who had spent many years at a no-kill shelter where I volunteered. I love younger cats and kittens of course, but the older ones just creep into my heart!

11. Marg
    November 10, 2010 at 8:42 am (7 years ago)

Older cats sure are the best to have around. They are so easy and so loving. When they are younger they just don’t have time for the loving part especially if they get to go outside. It is so sad to see the older cats in the shelters or at least the kill shelters cause you know they aren’t going to last long in there. Great post Dorian.

12. Karen and Gerard
    November 10, 2010 at 7:57 am (7 years ago)

This is a wonderful post about older cats. We adopted an 8-yr-old cat and everything you mention here was true about him. I’m going to mark this for Delicious, tweet it and link it up to Saturday Samplings this week at Half Past Kissin’ Time since this month is Adopt A Senior Pet Month.