Conscious Cat

January 27, 2010 54 Comments

The Healing Power of Cats

Posted by Ingrid

There are many stories of animals as healers. Research shows that simply petting a cat or dog can lower your blood pressure. Therapy animals who visit nursing homes and hospices bring peace and joy to patients who may not have smiled in months. There are stories of horses who help people heal emotional and psychological issues, stories about dogs who can somehow sense cancer in people, even before doctors can find it, and dogs who can tell when a person is about to have a seizure. At one time or another, all pet owners have experienced the comfort of having our pets close by when we are sick even with something minor like a cold or the flu. Research has even shown that the frequency of a cat’s purr can aid with healing of bones, tendons, ligaments, and muscles as well as provide pain relief.

I’ve met a number of these healer kitties during my years of working at veterinary clinics.  They would work their magic in various ways – by curling up next to a recovering cat or dog, by cuddling up to a worried client in the waiting room, or by comforting a staff member who had just assisted with a difficult case or a euthanasia. But none of these cats was more of a healer than Buckley, the subject of my book Buckley’s Story – Lessons from a Feline Master Teacher.

Buckley would do all of the things mentioned above while she lived at the animal hospital.  After she came home with me, she became my assistant Reiki practitioner.  Reiki is an energy therapy that originated in Japan.  As a Reiki Master Practitioner, I transfer energy to my client by placing my hands either directly on or slightly off the body.  I work with pets and with people, and I’ve found that animals, especially cats, are incredibly receptive to the Reiki energy.  Some even say cats invented Reiki.  While that may be a little far fetched, cats seem to intuitively how to utilize the energy for their greatest good.

Buckley loved being in the Reiki room while I was giving treatments, and as long as the person receiving a treatment liked cats and did not mind Buckley’s presence, she was allowed to stay. But just being in the room was usually not enough for her—she became an active participant in the healing session. She would get up on the Reiki table and often curl up next to or on top of the client. I realized after a few sessions like this that she intuitively knew where extra energy was needed, and the client would often report an added feeling of heat or pulsing in the areas where Buckley had been situated during the session. I often skipped the areas Buckley laid on during a session and concentrated on others instead. I knew my little healer kitty had it covered.

I think she also transmuted the energy in the house in general. All cats do this to some degree. Cats are sensitive to energies and have the ability to change negative energies into something peaceful and calming. Buckley seemed to be a master at this. More people commented on the peaceful energy in my house after she came to live with us than ever before.

Animals bring a spiritual component to healing as well. Buckley’s intuitive knowing during a Reiki session about where the energy was needed came from a spiritual dimension. It takes many human Reiki practitioners years of practice to achieve that level of intuitiveness.

How have the animals in your life helped you heal?  I’d love to hear your stories.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
FacebookTwitterGoogle+LinkedInPinterestShare

54 Responses to “The Healing Power of Cats”

1. Crystal says:

Hi! I love your site, and also receive your wonderful newsletter.

When you get a chance, please stop by my blog at http://www.crystalclearproofing.blogspot.com

I have an award for you! >^..^<

2. Ingrid says:

Wow, thank you Crystal! You made my day – what a purrfectly wonderful award! I’ll be blogging about it later.

3. I’ve often wondered why some cats are more natural healers than others. My cat Merlin knows exactly when I need healing, but his sister Coco not so much.. When I used see aromatherapy clients at home, I had many clients who would insist the treatment could not begin until the cats hopped onto the massage table!

4. Ingrid says:

Layla, I think some cats, just like some people, are just more in tune with energy, and as such, more in tune with healing.

I love that some of your clients insisted on feline assistance for their treatments. I know it would be difficult, if not impossible, to measure, but I wonder whether the cat-enhanced sessions were more effective than the regular ones.

5. Debbi Docherty says:

There’s just something about Buckley’s look that would probably heal me from whatever ails me. She has a look that melts me. Thanks for continuing to share her. BEAUTIFUL!!

6. Ingrid says:

Aww, thanks, Debbi! It’s nice to know that she has this effect on others, too, and not just me.

7. Marybell says:

Hi there. I’ve so enjoyed reading about the healing cats. I too have had experience of this. We recently lost our darling ginger Tom cat, Simba, who grew up with our children and was for 19 years, one of the family. He could always sense when we were ill, particularly when we suffered from trauma, grief, depression etc. He would come up and sit on my or my husband’s chest and just absorb the pain. He didn’t purr usually when he did this; the healing didn’t come from his purr but from his weight. He wasn’t normally the kind of cat to sit on your lap. Another time, when I had a sore eye, he stretched his paw out and gently placed his paw on my eyelid and kept it there for a long time, till I fell asleep in fact. Shortly after Simba died we adopted two little sister kittens, who are now 10 months old and adorable. (Missy and Mossy; grey, fluffy) I am absolutely astounded to find that Missy does the same thing as Simba used to do! I had a tooth out this week and went off to bed during the daytime. Missy was very interested and made a full investigation. She first of all laid herself across my neck and snuggled in. Then a few minutes later, she made her way round to the side of my face where the tooth had been extracted and actually laid her pawws on my cheek and began to massage (as they do) but ever so gently. It was amazing! I ended up shooing her down to my feet though as I was worried about infections getting into the gum. The fact that a second cat was acting in this way makes me wonder if certain humans are more receptive than others. Perhaps cats ‘tune in’ to people who are on the same wavelengths as they are. Dying to know what you think!

8. Ingrid says:

Marybell, first of all, let me say how sorry I am about your loss. Simba sounds like he was an amazing cat.

I’m glad you have Missy and Mossy now (cute names!). It sounds like Missy is stepping into the void Simba left behind! I think cats have the ability to connect with their humans on an energetic level. Whether they adjust their vibration to match ours, or whether there’s an even bigger story in that they find us based on some sort of energetic “match,” I’m not sure. I think it’s pretty amazing that a cat as young as Missy is already exhibiting these healer tendencies – you’re very fortunate.

9. Diane says:

I also had a cat named Simba a number of years ago that helped me when I was in a lot of pain. I hurt my back so bad that it was hard for me to breathe. I was flat on my back on my bed. Simba came up and laid right in the crook of my arm near my shoulder. She put her paws on my shoulder and purred loudly and stared right at me. The next thing I knew the pain was gone. It was an amazing experience.

10. Marybell says:

That’s a lovely story, Diane, and it reminds me of our own poor Simba who we lost last January about this time. We are very happy with our 2 new kittens though. They are over a year old now and they are so loveable in that undemanding Cat way! Missy and Mossy are no particular breed but seem to have some Persian and possibly even a touch of Scottish wild cat. (We live in the Highlands of Scotland). Missy is the one who has the gentler, more caring nature whereas Mossy is more of a character! I don’t know if anyone knows the artist Louis Wain, who painted cats? When Mossy stands on her hind legs to play or tap on the window, she is just so like one of Wayne’s cats! We notice that the cats’ personalities are changing as they mature. Mossy is gradually becoming more affectionate. Her funniest trick is to swipe at my alarm clock before it goes off in the morning; evidently trying to wake me up to get her breakfast.

11. Kristine says:

I am so thrilled to come across this site with all these stories! I too have a cat that is out of this world & amazes me time & time again! His name is Odin & we saved him as a kitten – he had a horrible infection in his sinuses & he eventually had to have surgery to clear it all out but lost some hearing in the process when they went in through the ear canal. The vets always love to see him & when most of the cats that have been in our lives have been scared on the exam table Odin will be purring so loud that they can’t hear his heart beat lol! He has unusual white, gray, & black markings & the softest fur that any who pet him are amazed & say he’s as soft as angora :)

The most amazing part of him is this: I have had years of health problems & he has been by my side through it all. I have what was finally diagnosed as Complex Regional Pain Syndrome after many surgeries & years & years of excruciating pain. He has always known when I am in pain & insists that I get in bed or sit down by pawing at me or nipping at me till I did so. He then gets by my side,on my lap, or right above where my pain is purring & comforting me getting up every once in a while to give me kisses & rubbing my cheek, chin, or nose :) He’s always there to comfort me with my heart aches & when I am sick, many times not leaving my side to even eat my mom having to bring his food to the bed so he would eat something.
    Odin has also gone to my dad’s side when he’s had heart surgery & other health problems.
    I see a massage therapist & reiki practitioner who says I have a natural energy that boosts the healing she does & she’s taught me some ways to help myself. Odin will always be right there when I’m doing so & it does feel like he’s putting his energy in too to help. He insists on being on my lap or by my side when I meditate.
    What else can I say? This little kitty with a big name & heart is my own heart & I don’t think I would have survived through all the years of my pain without him! Infinite Love & Gratitude to him forever & ever!

• Ingrid says:

I love hearing stories like yours and Odin’s, Kristine. He sounds like a true healer kitty. I’m so glad you have him by your side as you’re dealing with your health challenges.

12. JESSE says:

i know my cat named momma always knows when i sick, i had her for 17 years. when i dont feel well. she balls up on my chest, and like this morning. i ate something bad. she came up to me and like felt around amost like a medicine doctor. and usually when im half aleeep, oddly its obvious she is doing something to help me. its so unusual..almost like medicine man doing his magic, she tend to use her paws and feel around, sometimes in a feeling it out kinda way, after she did all this i went to the bathroom for a while and felt better. maybe cats are natrual healers. and we just see them at pets.

13. Kenny says:

Amazing! Because my friends laugh when I tell them about my 2 healing cats and how they have been working arduously to heal my back for the past few months. Punkin and her son Panther are both sweet barn cats that I rescued, now they are indoor kitties who receive a ton of loving. I ruptured a couple of vertebrae 8 months ago and developed chronic sciatica. I have 2 areas of severe pain that feel like the size of silver dollars perhaps larger. The major pain is in my ischial tuberosity(my butt) and then around the ruptured disc in my lower lumbar is the other pain location. Punkin performs this procedure on my back 70% of the time, and Panther 30%. All together between them they have done this over 100 times so this is no bizarre coincidence here. Many time I fall asleep while Punkin is giving me Catupunture, and wake up hours later only to find that Panther has taken Punkins place as Catupunturist extraordinaire.

Punkin never got too close to me before my injury typically she likes to sit near me but she is not over cuddly. Except when I am in pain then she gets affectionate and closer I have to move slow and be very gentle with her or she freaks. When the pain is terrible Punkin rests her hind end against my butt and then she applies some pressure…..exactly at the point of pain. She will lay there for hours and not move an inch healing me night after night. Now Panther is doing it too they work in shifts it is unreal! Thought I was going crazy and like I said nobody believes this story. Punkin and Panther are very accurate too within millimeters I swear when it comes to pin pointing the pain exactly. Now get this here is the most amazing part…..Punkin has a new method of healing my back….She takes one rear paw and presses it against the pain in my butt precisely in the center of the silver dollar size pain area EXACTLY! The other hind paw she places on the left side of my ruptured disc…again exactly at the epicenter of pain. Note: Disc is ruptured on the left side. Then she applies pressure and I call this “Catupuncture” She will hold the pressure with the muscles in her legs for periods of up to one hour, her claws slightly embedded in the skin, without letting up. Very loyal and dedicated and if this is not real love then I do not know what is. They heal me every night and it is working I am getting much better, I am back to work and my cats are healing my injury and easing my pain. There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that this is their intention completely…too heal my injury and subdue my pain, and perhaps even reduce inflammation I strongly suspect. All I know is that some how some way they know exactly what they are doing, they know precisely the location of my pain, and they are both absolute masters at the art of healing.

My sweet, smart, healing Fe-Lions! Punkin and her little Boy Panther. Master Catupunturists!

• Ingrid says:

Thank you for sharing this amazing experience with your two Master Catupuncturists, Kenny. This is one of the most powerful demonstrations of cats’ healing powers that I’ve heard of. Best wishes to you for a quick and complete recovery – but how can there be any doubt of that with your two feline therapists helping you!

• Kenny says:

Yes, they are both incredibly sensitive, nurturing, and completely amazing animals. This is also a great testimonial of how two feral cats ended up becoming happy loving indoor cats and how I rescued them from certain death. I was living at a large horse farm 2009-2010 where when I first encountered Punkin she was a 6 month old horse barn cat. Then at 10 months Punkin had a litter of 3 kittens behind a barn wall where she dug a trench and created an absolutely non impenetrable fortress to bare her young. I kept the only male of the litter the black one and named him Panther cause he looks like a little Panther. Then I had Punkin spayed and Panther neutered. De-wormed them both and made sure they received all of their required shots and vaccinations. Then in early 2011, I moved away from the farm and took Punkin and Panther with me because I knew that there chances for survival on the farm were poor at best. Predators, main road heavy traffic, and a psycho lunatic Dude who lived in the Cottage there repeatedly tried to poison, injure, shoot, and kill these precious lovely creatures. Why? because they climbed up on his SUV and left muddy paw prints all over the place. And then they pooped in the grass that he was trying to grow on his front lawn in record low temps during January 2011. Yea this guy is nuts clearly.

I tell this story because I want people to know that there are people like this out there in our world who do not have a conscience. There are horrible people like this living in your own neighborhood who hurt and kill innocent animals. Report them to the police and the SPCA immediately if you witness or suspect any type of animal abuse whatsoever! And if possible rescue and adopt these innocent victims. You will be glad that you did. And the animals will appreciate it too and they will know and be fully aware of what you did for them, the fact that you helped them in this way, they will be forever grateful and repay you everyday with love, healing, and loyalty.

14. Toya says:

My ex husband had prostate cancer. My cat is always sitting on top of that area on my husband’s and I wonder if she is healing him as I find it strange to get there… I love cats and understand their behavior.

15. Patrick says:

I’ve had the flu lately, with terrible sinus pain. Last night one of my 2 cats, came and cuddled with me, and let me softly lay the my forehead on her side.. I noticed that within a few minutes, I was not only no longer in pain, but had reached a state of bliss. It was amazing, I still feel it today. She has a natural ability to transmit healing and blissful energy directly into my brain. I am very lucky to have 2 beautiful cats who love me, keep my apartment free of pests, and kiss and cuddle me constantly.

16. Susan Hunt says:

Hiya

My daughter has a beautiful new kitten. They absolutely adore each other and she sleeps each night in my daughters bed.

I developed a dreadful cough last week which has been getting worse. The last two nights I’ve had hardly any sleep.

I noticed the other night the kitten slept with me, right next to my chest. She did the same last night and I had this thought that maybe she was with me because I was poorly, hence why I did a google search and your site came up!

Tonight if she does the same I shall make sure I curl up with her as I’m definitely getting better!

Susan

• Ingrid says:

Sounds like you have a healer kitten, Susan. That’s so sweet that the kitten knew that you needed some “purr therapy,” even tough she usually sleeps with your daughter.

17. Bill says:

I have had a couple of unusual cat experiences. A few years ago I was having quite a bit of pain in my knee. One of my cats at that time came up and layed across my knee. He had never done this before. A few hours later and the pain was gone. On another occasion a couple of weeks ago I took a skillet out of a 450 degree oven. Without thinking I picked up the skillet burning my hand. I jokingly told my wife I was going to let the cat heal my burn by petting him. Strange, but later that evening the pain was gone and not one blister.

18. Amanda says:

I have a friend who has had a complete Hysterectomy and she swears that my cat (Rudy) takes her hot flashes or as she calls the Power Surges away. I have noticed when your sick and running a fever when he lays by your head you can feel the fever going away. And to be honest I think he has been with me in many of my past lives plus twice in this life time. My childhood cat was Tiger. They look exactly alike; in fact, many of my family members call call Rudy, Tiger.

19. Caroline says:

I broke my femur and hip in an equestrian accident. Kitty rode on my walker seat (which I had to use for months) all around the house. Even woke up and rode in the middle of the night to watch over me. Can you just picture that?

She made me laugh and laid with me while I healed.

20. Woodstock says:

It’s hard to say whether her attention helped my healing, but when Roseanne was just a kitten, I had a serious bronchial infection which lingered for several days. I ran a high fever and really had very little energy for much of anything. Roseanne was perhaps four months old, very aloof and private the way some cats are. Somehow she realized that things were not right with me, and two or three times a day she would come up, get in my face, and feel my cheeks and forehead with a sheathed paw, sort of like a worried grandmother. For those few days, she stayed where she could see me. Usually on a chair or on the edge of the bed, but she stayed close by. Early one morning, the antibiotics must have kicked in, because the fever broke. Near daylight, she was up on the pillow, feeling my face. It was cool, she jumped down and I didn’t see her for several hours. I’ve often wondered what she thought she might do about the situation. She’s now enjoying the big can of tuna in the sky. I miss her when I recall events like this.

21. Susan Long says:

Lucy, my 17 year old Maine Coon would always lay with me. I went thru a phase where I couldn’t do much more than lay on the couch. She would fight to get right up by my head and wrap herself around my head and purr in my ear. I’d push her down by my tummy and she’s fight her way back to my head. We went several months this way and I was diagnosed with a terminal brain cancer, a tumor in my brain. After I had my brain surgery and the tumor was removed, she never tried to get by my head to sleep again. She was incredibly in tune with my feelings too. Whenever I cried or felt badly she was right on my lap putting her paws on my face and licking the tears from my cheeks. She gave great kitty hugs!

22. Julie says:

Just wanted to let you know, our last cat (before Mimsy and Pansy) was such a lovely girl. After my husband died, Kim was always there for us, Whenever any of us were feeling sad she would come and sit on us and purr looking straight into your eyes with a concerned face. She knew we loved her and she loved us simple as that.

23. Calilux says:

We have two male cats ( brothers) who are Norwegian Forest Cat & Birman mix. Both of them are amazingly affectionate with each member of the family. They follow my teenage sons around the house and love to be in the middle of the action when friends come over. Cruz is the smaller of the two and rarely hesitates to be picked up or cuddled. His cheerful demeanor and warmth radiates pure joy to our household. If anyone is feeling sad or stressed , he’ll surely sleep on their bed that evening. His larger brother, Flash, has a calmer and more reserved nature. He observes everything going on around him with a wide open, yet serene regard. Flash loves to come close to me if I am meditating or doing yoga. I have come to see that he is the embodiment of the sparkles, flashes of light that we can see and or feel in meditation. His healing gifts are amazing. When a family member is ill, he gently climbs on to the person and moves around with care until he settles precisely on the part of the body in pain. Last night I was sitting on the couch with my partner when Flash came for what I thought would be a cuddle. First he investigated me, sniffing the tear ducts on the inner corner of my eye. Then he moved on to my partner and used his entire body and outstretched legs to give him a full body embrace. His paws touched his heart center and face. Flash then inched up his chest to position himself like a collar on the front of my partners neck and jaw. They both remained still for some time. My partner felt soothed by the cat on his infected throat and congested head despite the awkward position the cat had him pinned down in. I was smiling as this was the first time Flash has never done this with my partner before! I was so happy that my partner could experience this first hand after he had heard from me that I believe Flash and Cruz are healers. These cats and the others described on thus page are sharing amazing of healing love with us.

• Ingrid says:

Thank you for sharing your story, Calilux. Flash and Cruz definitely sound like healer kitties to me. I just can’t get enough of these wonderful stories.

24. edward says:

Just got a cat MIA she so special i been feeling down lately and worried about things and she just knows how to comfort me she lays on my chest a lot then she will touch my face with her paw as if telling me that everything will be alright

25. Nancy says:

Hi Ingrid, I just came across your site. My partner and I just adopted a 10 yr old tortoiseshell female kitty, cee cee. I am 28 yrs old and am waiting to have major surgery on my hip. Ive been through lots of stress, pain and negativity (and im a pretty positive person)
    Im pretty much bed bound until surgery. And it could be awhile… Healing time is 3 months post-op.

As soon as ceecee came home the vibes changed. I felt my stress melt away. Ceecee is very calm and soothing and purrs a lot. When she sits on my lap in bed I feel my pain melt away. I havnt felt this way in a long time. Its great to just watch her do cat things.

She loves to eye gaze with us, ive never had a cat that did that too much. She gives me hope that I am able to heal and regain my energy. She is a healing kitty :)

thanks

• Ingrid says:

Thank you for sharing your story, Nancy – it brought tears to my eyes. What a special girl your Ceecee is! All my best to you as you go through your surgery and recovery. I’m so glad you have Ceecee to help you through it all.

26. Stefanie James says:

When I went through a tough break up, my now-pet, Fluffy (actual name crazy-daisy) started just turning up in my garden. She was terribly shy but just started to appear each day and get closer and closer. I was in a very low state and looked forward to her visits and her theraputic company until she started staying the night. When I saw signs on lamp-posts I was absolutely devastated that I might have ‘catnapped’ her – only to find she was a severly abused rescue cat in need of re-housing. She moved in and has been there to help me through some extremely tough times. I feel like she knew I needed her and is a guardian angel. I am due to start studying Reiki soon and since I made my mind up to do it she has been more in-tune with me than ever. I have always called her my healing moon cat. I love her to pieces and I’m looking forward to doing some reiki on her to return the healing favour!

27. Carol says:

We lost our beloved Rusty, a chow/retreiver in November 2012. We have two cats, Morticia and Lily. Morticia would constantly want his attention from him for her 6 years of life…..Lily was interested, but distant. Rusty was 18 years old, we had rescued him 9 years ago, bringing him home from our local animal shelter.

As he started to decline in activity and health he fought to stay with us. Lily decided that it was her duty to care for him. He was constantly chewing at his legs, getting sores, we would get a good start at getting his sores healed and they would just start all over. Lily, one day found her way to laying on his side. We would put a towel on him as he was cold, and with the sores felt it protected Lily also. She would lay on him for hours as if it were here sole responsibility to care for him.

I would clean and apply ointment to his wounds and cover so he wouldn’t chew and lick.
    Two days prior to his death, I had constantly checked him, as the usual, but to our amazement, the day he left us, the sores were all healed. There were no signs of the deep wound on his leg and the others also gone. I talked to our local shelter owner and she said that Lily was healing him……..I never thought this was possible.

Our Rusty unfortunately didn’t live but I feel that Lily was his healer. Lily, the cat that would go near him but not close, only randomly, was the healer of his sores. Little Lily spent hours with him at the end. Morticia, the one that constantly would lay next to him, rub his paw with her head, stayed away.

Lily was visibly showing sorrow, like she was mad because she couldn’t save him and seemed very depressed for days. Morticia would look for Rusty. We have his ashes and Lily continues to want to rub against his canister, while Morticia is interested but doesn’t get as close. She will look, but nothing more

Reading everyone’s comments are touching, knowing that others do have experiences……..I have become a believer in healing powers of cats. Lily seems to care for us when we don’t feel well, laying on the area of pain and will lay for hours if she can.

28. Dianna says:

I have a 5 year old cat named Lexie. She has always healed whatever my issue has been, knee issues, bronchitis whatever was bothering me she would lay on that portion of my body. Last night was totally amazing however.. As I go through divorce proceedings my emotions run the gamut… Last night she laid on my chest for a period of time until I felt an electrical charge run through my body ending with tingling in my fingers and toes. Soon after that, my cat jumped down and began to vomit, then jumped back up and laid in the same spot and purred me to sleep.

• Ingrid says:

I find stories like yours so humbling, Dianna. In my Reiki practice, I occasionally see cats who appear to take on their human’s illness, and I believe this often happens in an attempt to heal the human. In your case, Lexie seems to have taken this one step further: after taking on your emotions, she knew enough to clear them from her energy field. Amazing.

29. Nikki says:

So many wonderful stories! My little rescue cat Narni comforted me throughout my 2 pregnancies. Times when I feeling emotional or very tired or unwell she would lay above my head as I was in bed and purr very strongly, which would calm me to sleep. A few nights a go I was unwell with an illness and also feeling down. As I lay in bed to go to sleep she lay above my head, her chin touching my head and purred loudly. Such a beautiful little soul. She will rarely go to anyone else and is quite an anxious and shy cat so it makes me feel very special that she trusts me and wants to be my little healer.

30. I have had pets in my household since the time i could talk and speak! Today at the age of 53 i live with 2 Traditional Persian cats naned “Matahari” and tomcat “Matata” along with India’s most famous Alexandrine parakeet “Mittoo”.After the demise of my parents i live with my pets and my house care-taker Ms Sabina.Dias , the pets being the life of the house.I work from home and travel a lot, a blog writer by hobby.My pets help distress me from “WRITERS BLOCK”" as well as the isolation of living alone.To date, everything seems physically normal as far as health is concerned and even the drastic drop of the Indian rupee and collapse of the “Stock Market” has not increased my “Blood Pressure” or made me susceptible to “Heart Attacks”.Reasons,my pets keep me active and make me forget temporary business worry’s.

• Ingrid says:

I know what you mean about cats being helpful in preventing writers’s block, Rudolph! They definitely make us forget about the worries of the world.

31. Troy says:

I’m a 45 year old male with three cats.

- Buster, oldest, male (b/w tabby)
    - Sasha, middle, female (russian blue)
    - Lexi, youngest, female (calico)

Sasha, in particular, I have called my “healing cat”. Whenever I am feeling down, either physically, emotionally or mentally, I will go to her. During the day when I’m always awake she is on the bed sleeping on her spot where I’ve set up her own blanket just for her.

When I lay beside her, making sure my head touches hers, then with my right hand on her mid-section, the healing begins. That’s also when her strong and soothing purring begins. She always stays still until I have calmed down and/or feel rejuvenated.

I then thank her verbally, kissing her on the face and then stroking lightly at the bottom of her tail (bottom of her back) which is a natural pleasure trigger for her. She always begins to lick me at whatever part of my body is closest to her face, that usually being my face or shoulder.

My oldest cat Buster, male, will cry until I pick him up. That’s his way of saying “I want attention”. I pick him up and gently rub the bottom of my goatee against the top of his head, which he loves profusely. Many times when I’m on the computer he will come right up and lay on my lap even while I’m typing.

Then there is Lexi, female, calico, the youngest. She is THE most vocal cat I’ve ever had. She is also the friendliest and fearless. I can have ongoing “conversations” with her, if you know what I mean. Many, many times when I’m watching TV she will jump right up on me and lay on my tummy with her face facing mine allowing me to pet her. She usually stays until I have to get up for something. She is also a “shoulder cat”. When you pick her up and hold her against your chest, she will often climb up onto your shoulder and perch, much like a parrot. She will even walk behind your head to the other shoulder and do the same or just stand on the shoulder having a look around, meowing.

But Sasha provides the strongest sense of healing for some reason.

AMAZING!!!